My new equipment is showing just how bad the Ipod is.
Aug 18, 2006 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

gdg

Banned
I was under the impression (from reviews) that the Ipod was quite a decent source but running high quality headphones like the AKG K701 through the RSA Hornet just reveals the flaws. I was surprised to find, not just weaknesses in the Ipod, but actual (and fairly pronounced) high frequency distortion! Though my E500s are not as resolving as the stunningly good AKGs, after a closer listen. I now realize that the top end hash that I'd noticed seem to be nasties emanating from the Ipod itself. What a disappointment. After purpasing an Ipod, Hornet (m), E500s and AKG K701s I thought I was in for a true audiophile quality mobile experience. Dang, I shoud have realized it was too good to be true.
Gerry

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
I was under the impression (from reviews) that the Ipod was quite a decent source but running high quality headphones like the AKG K701 through the RSA Hornet just reveals the flaws. I was surprised to find, not just weaknesses in the Ipod, but actual (and fairly pronounced) high frequency distortion! Though my E500s are not as resolving as the stunningly good AKGs, after a closer listen. I now realize that the top end hash that I'd noticed seem to be nasties emanating from the Ipod itself. What a disappointment. After purpasing an Ipod, Hornet (m), E500s and AKG K701s I thought I was in for a true audiophile quality mobile experience. Dang, I shoud have realized it was too good to be true.
Gerry

I've had a similar experience. Except I know notice how poor the qality of recording is in modern day rock. I can't listen to Tool anymore because of it.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 37
the K701 is a very revealing headphone IMHO. Pair it up with a good mid-fi level solid state amp and Yeah it'll reveal source deficiencies real fast.

Garrett

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 37
You're going to want another player. I can tell you that my X5L is a little on the bright side (which actually mates well with my E2c's) so the K701's wouldn't pair with it at all. Try one of the older iRiver players or another iAudio perhaps.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 37
Listening (as I write this) to a iPod (lossless, line out) -> EMP AE -> PS-1. Sounds pretty good.

I'm listening a very well recorded classical record, though.

The iPod is a pretty decent source with the right gear/sinergy. You can have it much better, of course, but it can produce quite pleasant results, IMHO.

Perhaps I have tin ears...

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 37
Or actually due to poor recorded source... Most albums producers set the volume too high while recording, and it causes distortion in high.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh
Or actually due to poor recorded source... Most albums producers set the volume too high while recording, and it causes distortion in high.

So true... It's so hard to listen modern music with all this crazy dynamic compression and clippings...

I try to stick with classical and jazz these days. I'll wait for the remasters of modern music when sound engineers come to their senses.

I'm aware of the loudness race and singles on radio and all this stuff... but still... this is pretty upsetting.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 37
Are you using line level outputs or plugging into the headphone jack?

What format files are you listening to?

As I type this I'm listening to VBR - Highest Quality encoded mp3's that do not exhibit what you are describing.

And I'm listening with my RS-1's so I believe that I would hear any aberrations that are in the upper registers.

Aug 18, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 37
As fashionable as it is to bash the iPod, it's not usually the iPod's fault, it's very often the recorded material. Most modern recordings that is mainstream has been processed, clipped and saturated with distortion. Search for the "loudness race" for some of the worst examples.

I've had really good results connecting the iPod directly to my home stereo, and running it via the line-out. With 320kbps encoding, it sounds quite listenable with good detail, and even good sense of depth and rhythm. With Apple Lossless, it's good enough that I don't bother with the original CD played through my DVD player at least. I would say the iPod utilized in this manner is a very competent source, at least as good as any of the entry brand name CD/DVD players from Sony/Panasonic etc.

Edit: I've never heard high frequency distortion from my iPod with a good recording. And I always tend to use bright sounding headphones.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
Gerry

It's different chips in the various iPods.

Personally for sound quality I would go with Samsungs YP-5Z or whatever its name is (there is a new version aswell which got radio and better batterylife)

It uses sigmatels new 3600-series chip which I haven't found any other easy to find players with, can work with both wmp and as ums-device and the old version has 35h battery life.

iRiver E10 is probably ok aswell, for lots of storage I would go with iAudio A2.

To bad iAudio never gets a player with sigmatel 3600 out, I'm waiting.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
You're going to want another player. I can tell you that my X5L is a little on the bright side (which actually mates well with my E2c's) so the K701's wouldn't pair with it at all. Try one of the older iRiver players or another iAudio perhaps.

Yeah, IFP-models from iRiver is the ones which have made them famous and what sounds good, the new T-range of models uses Samsung chips which are said to have not as good sound quality.

I can't understand why iAudio is highly rated when the old sigmatel chips are said to be quite generic, maybe it's some other part or the BBE effects which makes them worth it anyway.

I like the menues, ogg, ums, radio and regular battery features thought.

Meizu got flash players with similair philips chips as the old iRivers.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 37
Although it's far from the best source available, the iPod is capable of stunningly good audio performance, all things considered.
I have the K701 and the RSA SR-71.

To get the best from your iPod, you need properly mic'ed, properly recorded lossless files, a direct connection between the line out and a good headamp.

If you get anything less than pure, sweet, gorgeous sound, there's something wrong with your set up, plain and simple.

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh

I thought of that. I trouble shot the issue with exactly the same recording/ripp with my Benchmark Dac1. Pristine... no distortion at all.

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
Are you using line level outputs or plugging into the headphone jack?

What format files are you listening to?

As I type this I'm listening to VBR - Highest Quality encoded mp3's that do not exhibit what you are describing.

And I'm listening with my RS-1's so I believe that I would hear any aberrations that are in the upper registers.

5g 30 gig Ipod(ALAC)/ Cryodock (lineout)/ Hornet/ AKG K701 or Shure E500s

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 37
I just noticed that your iPod is a 5G. I haven't yet heard a 5G iPod, I suppose it's possible (probable?) that they sound different. But I can't comment having never heard one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back