My new equipment is showing just how bad the Ipod is.
Aug 19, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 37
I should make it clear that this is not an ongoing issue of continously obviuos high frequency distortion. This is something that occurrs sproradically and at specific points in a recording ie 2:36 into "Spies" on Coldplay's Parachutes (right channel).
It did not occur when the same ripp was run through my Dac1. (to test this I reimported a WAV version into my Ipod so that I could compare the exact same version as I use for my Dac1)

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6
I just noticed that your iPod is a 5G. I haven't yet heard a 5G iPod, I suppose it's possible (probable?) that they sound different. But I can't comment having never heard one.

I wonder if my Ipod is toast. It would be just my luck.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
I've had a similar experience. Except I know notice how poor the qality of recording is in modern day rock. I can't listen to Tool anymore because of it.

hmmm. the sound quality of tool's 2 most recent works is great on vinyl.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #19 of 37
I have 5g 60gb ipod, I listen to 320kb aac files with an audiolineout cotton dock, an SR-71, and Shure E500's. The only complaint I have is that there can be a noticeable amount of hiss. When I switch over to Rockbox the hiss seems to be better, although most of the files loaded into the Rockbox firmware are FLAC.

Aug 19, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #21 of 37
listen to FLAC files on a Rockbox'd RWA iMod'ed iPod > Hornet > K701 and you'll change your opinion on what the iPod is capable of.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
listen to FLAC files on a Rockbox'd RWA iMod'ed iPod > Hornet > K701 and you'll change your opinion on what the iPod is capable of.
evil_smiley.gif

Warrior,
It may well be I'm not getting the best from the Ipod. It's certainly gotten great press over the last few years. Do you find the Rockbox improves the sound quality of the Ipod or is it mostly a matter of better functionality?

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth
Although it's far from the best source available, the iPod is capable of stunningly good audio performance, all things considered.
I have the K701 and the RSA SR-71.

To get the best from your iPod, you need properly mic'ed, properly recorded lossless files, a direct connection between the line out and a good headamp.

If you get anything less than pure, sweet, gorgeous sound, there's something wrong with your set up, plain and simple.

Dang!!!!
Something is definitely wrong. I'm getting serious high frequency distortion. It's almost like I blown my headphones but that can't be because I'm getting it out of both the AKGs and E500s. It can't be the recording because through my Dac1 it's pristine. It can't be the Hornet because I'm getting it on the direct variable output of the Ipod as well. I was hoping someone would tell me I'd done something stupid in my file transfers or something but I guess I have to send it back. That's a major drag!

Aug 19, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 37
yeah, something is just not sounding right. typically when i get distortion it means my hornet's batteries need recharging. have you tried your E500s straight out of your iPod sans hornet? that should definitely nip it in the bud if it is your iPod or not.

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
Warrior,
It may well be I'm not getting the best from the Ipod. It's certainly gotten great press over the last few years. Do you find the Rockbox improves the sound quality of the Ipod or is it mostly a matter of better functionality?

Many people have claimed that Rockbox has better sound quality than the original iPod firmware, though we haven't had any verification of those claims. At some point when I have time, I intend to do some testing to see if I can confirm that there are any differences between the firmwares when using both without any EQ or DSP. Rockbox definitely gives you a better ability to control the iPod's hardware:
  1. Better codec support
  2. Fully parametric equalizer
  3. Crossfeed
  4. On the 5G, implementation of the hardware EQ on the Wolfson chip.
  5. A fixed volume line-out

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs
Many people have claimed that Rockbox has better sound quality than the original iPod firmware, though we haven't had any verification of those claims. At some point when I have time, I intend to do some testing to see if I can confirm that there are any differences between the firmwares when using both without any EQ or DSP. Rockbox definitely gives you a better ability to control the iPod's hardware:
  1. Better codec support
  2. Fully parametric equalizer
  3. Crossfeed
  4. On the 5G, implementation of the hardware EQ on the Wolfson chip.
  5. A fixed volume line-out

Can't remember where, but in one of the 'Rockbox sounds better than stock firmware' threads, a Rockbox developer responded by saying that there ought to be no difference in sound quality. This won't stop your average audiophile from still hearing a difference though
tongue.gif

If you can (a) accept the battery drain and (b) want to listen to FLAC or use the Ipod EQ, it's a no-brainer, Rockbox all the way.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #28 of 37
I actually think that the iPod is a pretty good source! I have a 4G 40gb iPod, which isn't considered a particularly good source and I don't even use a line-out dock. I too have the Hornet, RnB Black Diamond w/ upgrade connectors and the K701 and I don't feel that the iPod is inadequate at all. Even after listening to the same piece on my stereo rig (using SACD) and then switching to my portable rig (iPod, 320kbps MP3), I don't feel that the difference is too big to swallow given the massive price difference. The only real difference is the lack of a massive, deep, three-dimensional soundstage, truly deep bass and a bit of refinement throughout the whole frequency range.

I think the main problem with most people's rigs is not their gear, but their actual recordings.

Aug 19, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
The only real difference is the lack of a massive, deep, three-dimensional soundstage, truly deep bass and a bit of refinement throughout the whole frequency range.

I agree on the point about the soundstage, it takes really impressive equipment to reproduce realistic soundstage, and the iPod shows its limitations there, but only compared to very good hifi grade equipment. If you try Lossless, it really comes close, which implies the lossy encoding is somewhat veiling very low level detail.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I actually think that the iPod is a pretty good source! I have a 4G 40gb iPod, which isn't considered a particularly good source and I don't even use a line-out dock. I too have the Hornet, RnB Black Diamond w/ upgrade connectors and the K701 and I don't feel that the iPod is inadequate at all. Even after listening to the same piece on my stereo rig (using SACD) and then switching to my portable rig (iPod, 320kbps MP3), I don't feel that the difference is too big to swallow given the massive price difference. The only real difference is the lack of a massive, deep, three-dimensional soundstage, truly deep bass and a bit of refinement throughout the whole frequency range.

I think the main problem with most people's rigs is not their gear, but their actual recordings.

I agree that the iPod is at the very least acceptable, and IME actually quite good considering it's portability.

But you really should spring for a line out adapter. $45 is a small price to pay for such a big improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back