My new DT770 Pro 80 Ohms have no bass, is it defect?
Nov 17, 2013 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Winhaharawr

New Head-Fier
Like the title says, I recently bought a pair of DT 770 Pros, but I am completely underwhelmed with the bass, my Bose oe1s have more! I was reading other posts on this forum suggesting that it may be due to a defective pair. I know I have the 770 Pro because mine doesn't have the volume button on the cord. I am playing straight from an iPhone 4 with no amp, would an amp solve this problem? I find that from my phone, these headphones are actually somewhat loud for me, and I usually listen to my music at Max or near Max volumes, I sometimes find myself lowering the volume on songs that I usually don't with my Bose headphones.
Also, I heave read about how the sound isolation on these headphones were fantastic, but I find that these leak quite a bit, not as much as open headphones, but more than my friend's m80s.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 12
Like the title says, I recently bought a pair of DT 770 Pros, but I am completely underwhelmed with the bass, my Bose oe1s have more! I was reading other posts on this forum suggesting that it may be due to a defective pair. I know I have the 770 Pro because mine doesn't have the volume button on the cord. I am playing straight from an iPhone 4 with no amp, would an amp solve this problem? I find that from my phone, these headphones are actually somewhat loud for me, and I usually listen to my music at Max or near Max volumes, I sometimes find myself lowering the volume on songs that I usually don't with my Bose headphones.
Also, I heave read about how the sound isolation on these headphones were fantastic, but I find that these leak quite a bit, not as much as open headphones, but more than my friend's m80s.

Isolation ≠ no leakage. You can have one and not the other, which is the case with a lot of headphones, unfortunately.

Also, I haven't heard the DT770s but I didn't find the OE1's to be overly bassy when I demoed a friend's... from what I've read the DT770/80 is a very bassy headphone. You should confirm with someone who actually owns a pair but I think there's a good chance yours is defective.

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 12
I was planning to get an amp later on when I saved up enough, I heard that these headphones had decent bass unamped, but the bass I'm getting is darn near nonexistant.

I would expect to DT770 Pro 80/ohm to have almost non-existant bass out of _any_ phone unamped. Even tested out of an old audigy 1 soundcard unamped and the bass wasn't very convincing then either. These are headphones that need a little amping, I'm actually surprised the iPhone can even power them to sufficient vol levels...

The problem is that DT770 Pro/80 have very deep bass focus, reaches very low, doesn't have overly strong midbass either. The very deepest bass frequencies need a lot more power so if a headphone is very subbass skewed like the DT770 is then the amping becomes even more necessary for it to perform as it should be.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 12
I was planning to get an amp later on when I saved up enough, I heard that these headphones had decent bass unamped, but the bass I'm getting is darn near nonexistant.

Do you have access to a decent receiver (with headphone jack), it should be able to drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and show you it's maximum possible bass.

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 12
You would have been better off getting the 32 ohm version (why didn't you?)  Cmoy amps and the Fiio E7 are great portable budget amps.

I bought the 80 ohms because I heard the bass was better than the 32s. Also, I was planing to get a nice amp anyway... eventually....
Either way, I just sold a spare hard drive I had so I should get a nice amp in soon.

Nov 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 12
I've owned the dt770pro 250ohm some years ago. I sold it back then. Then I recently bought it again and something had changed. The pads are now harder than they were before. They are not top of line comfortable anymore and I think this harder foam in the pads brings out the upper mids and pulls back the bass. It has not become bass-shy, but it has a way more balanced sound than it used to have and this also means it's no longer quite the chilling potent bass monster it used to be.

...Consider the inner fidelity measurement of the dt770 600ohm, it shows a fine image of how the "old" dt770 sounded overall no matter if it was 80, 250 or 600 ohm. Then compare it to the recent golden ears measurement of the "new" pro250 http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&search_target=title&search_keyword=dt770&document_srl=8535, it's a much more balanced curve. This pretty much sums up the experience I have had with the "new" 770 vs the "old" ones, harder new pads gives you a more correct response, but it's not as fun anymore :frowning2:
...Also, the harder pads probably don't isolate as well as the old soft ones.

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 12
OK, that explains why I was wondering why every1 kept DT770 Pro comfortable when it was not overly so for me due to the stiff padding material so it made my cheek a little tired after a while. And I also didn't find it that bassheavy as I expected it to be (at that time I thought it was simply due to lacking amping) but seeing the goldenears measurement I get it confirmed pretty much what I heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back