My new DIY lair :)
Nov 30, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 25
I suppose so, this thought has already crossed my mind. A week back or so when I tried to listen to Pantera I got this wierd humm like a bucket sound kind of an effect which disturbed me and I tested it, indeed it is caused by the room.

Anyways my concern is how to do it and still have the room looking spacious and comfy
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been thinking that maybe i start with small carpets or speaker-stand's.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #19 of 25
Thanks,

As for the room, its not my first time to make room where there is none. I recommend cuboards or folding desks you could modify to your needs.

Previously I have built a small workspace into a small cuboard, only thing you need to do is attach a extension cord and a light into it and you can have a tiny but efficent workshop right there. Granted it wont fit heavy equipment but it is enough for soldering and such.

Another place I have used is larger shelves, I chose one on the right height and then attached a folding table to it so I coul extend the surface area whenever needed. If not it was invisible and behind a small curtain
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope I gave you guys some small ideas
smily_headphones1.gif

I try to find some pics from some creative solutions
smily_headphones1.gif
I think my first big DIY project should be a tutorial how to accomodate a DIY corner in your GF's cosmetics area so that she wont notice
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 25
That's a nice setup you have there.
When I eventually move out and get a place of my own, one major requirement is space to set up a small workshop. It would probably really help me be more motivated to actually finish half the projects I start
tongue.gif

Set up a DIY corner amongst a cosmetics area? Are you mad? She'd surely notice
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 25
Awesome!

Now get a fan in there to exhaust the solder fumes and other nasty sprays before you get lead poisoning or NSD (nasty spray disease).

If you want to get fancy (since a fan's really only going to blow the air around) you can get a hepa air filter unit on fleabay for $100-150 (e.g. Hakko hj3100) and go to a hardware store for the plumbing. Make sure they say there's a clean hepa filter 'cause those cost about $100. You can probably do it on the cheap without any filter by using a vacuum or air pump or window fan, as long as you have plumbing from the soldering iron to the window.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome!

Now get a fan in there to exhaust the solder fumes and other nasty sprays before you get lead poisoning or NSD (nasty spray disease).

If you want to get fancy (since a fan's really only going to blow the air around) you can get a hepa air filter unit on fleabay for $100-150 (e.g. Hakko hj3100) and go to a hardware store for the plumbing. Make sure they say there's a clean hepa filter 'cause those cost about $100. You can probably do it on the cheap without any filter by using a vacuum or air pump or window fan, as long as you have plumbing from the soldering iron to the window.

Woah, never thought to think of that. Only things I was considering were a lamp with a searching-glass and a helping hands stand.
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome!

You will not get lead poison from solder fumes. The lead is NOT vaporizing or even being carried at any significant level in the air to cause any issue. The fumes are mostly flux burning, which while probably not great for you I have not heard about major health issues particularly in the amounts you will be exposed to in hobby use. Lead just make sure to wash hands.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will not get lead poison from solder fumes. The lead is NOT vaporizing or even being carried at any significant level in the air to cause any issue. The fumes are mostly flux burning, which while probably not great for you I have not heard about major health issues particularly in the amounts you will be exposed to in hobby use. Lead just make sure to wash hands.

But I love the smell of flux, wasting it by sending it out via fan would be a loss. Smell of soldering is at least half the fun :p

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 25
I have a small desk dedicated to soldering and electrical work. I use a small fan (it was on Woot for like $10 a few days ago) to keep the smoke out of my face. Not so much for health reasons, just because it's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back