My new CMoy "BlockHead"....
Aug 12, 2003 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

grahamndodder

100+ Head-Fier
For some reason I cannot get pix to upload here, but I was able to post at DIYAudio:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...751#post220751

If anyone knows how to move a pic bigger than the 25k size here, please reply. Mine are about 100k ea. 25k is very restrictive for a photo, IMO.

Thanks to all (especially Tangent) for their patient help and advice. My next project is already underway - a GainCLone high-end loudspeaker amp. I can't wait. Wish I had more time to play - tough with a job and family (and two young kids!)

But, on the bright side, my 5-yr-old girl wants her own headphone amp!

GnD

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 18
Outstanding! I want to do that casing job so badly... I have a big mahogany block, but lack the time to get underway.

Absolutely beautiful!

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 18
I notice you didn't focus at the hyperfocal point in post #2 - slacker!
wink.gif

(creative implementation of a CMoy - congrats on a well-done first DIY project!)

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 18
So did you really make this yourself, or was this one from tidewater hardwoods?

Professional job either way.

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 18
Sqeamish-

I got the board (~2' by 4") for $10 from Tidewater. They have some really exotic stuff there - worth a visit. They cut it into three pieces for me, which were very close in length (~1/16" off, and cuts included in the price) but still had to be heavily sanded after lamination to be a smooth-sided box.

I picked the best third for the top, then drilled out and jigsawed the hole in the other two.

I still had to sand them a bit after gluing, but that palm sander eats the wood pretty quick on 150 grit. Finished all the way up at 600 grit. I am glad I did not start with a solid cube of wood. There is no way I could have gotten the walls thin enough for the pot without coming thru. I was able to scoop out the middle section all by itself with a dremel before laminating the three pieces.

It is red oak, stained with cherry stain and three coats of semi-gloss minwax. Just stuff I had in the basement.

My GainClone will have a metal (2mm thick aluminum) underbelly, front and back, painted enamel black, for the chassis. The top and sides (inverted "U," at 90 degrees off, to fit the bottom for a final 6-sided housing) will be a light hardwood, the sides a dark, exotic hardwood. Maybe teak. Really doesn't cost much when you consider how little wood is used.

The GainClone is a near exact copy of a $3,000+ SS amp, based on a Nat'l Semi 3875 opamp. Everything is P2P-wired right to the pins of the chip for super short sig and NFB paths. Pretty tight working area.

The total parts list is under $200, so it certainly will deserve $20-$30 in exotic hardwood for the top and sides.

Anyway, it was all worth it just to see your avatar again...

GnD

Aug 13, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 18
I will be interested in hearing how your GC goes. I am accumulating parts to build one this winter and was looking at chips to use. I built one 2 years ago with a LM 1875 and was not too excited about the sound. (it was good, but it just didn't do it for me). Seems the 3875 is popular in the inverted configuration., but I haven't heard one myself. Have you listened to any yet, GnD ?

Aug 13, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
I will be interested in hearing how your GC goes. I am accumulating parts to build one this winter and was looking at chips to use. I built one 2 years ago with a LM 1875 and was not too excited about the sound. (it was good, but it just didn't do it for me). Seems the 3875 is popular in the inverted configuration., but I haven't heard one myself. Have you listened to any yet, GnD ?

This is the part list I'm using right now.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ight=Part+list My GC sounds kinda interesting to me. I don't know how to describe it by myself, but I know one thing for sure is that the sound is plain clear and detailed to me. And it rock the house with only 24V each channel.( I just turned the laptop volume to 3/20 that much. I can't imagine I turn it all the way.) The sound will just make me laugh again like I just finished my Cmoy and plug-in with my V6.
280smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif
--> change those to speaker instead haha.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 18
Budgie-

Haven't heard a GC yet. But i have wanted to build a loudspeaker amp, and with all the raves I have been hearing it seems hard to go too seriously wrong for the money.

I am going inverted 3875, BTW.

GnD

Aug 13, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 18
*drools* Very Nice mate..

Very nice. I was going to do something like with with a Western Australian Jarra. (my favorite Wood at the moment)

biggrin.gif

Got to build the amp first.

Armers

Aug 13, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Very Nice! Excellent work!

I like it, no isolation issues to worry about (i.e. metal cases). Unless the wood is waterlogged of course!
wink.gif

After I finish my second METTA, I think I'll build a PPA with a wood case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back