My new cans...
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

w1jim

New Head-Fier
Which ones do you think will sound better?
JimB

HF1.jpg

HF2.jpg

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Go "Team Vintage Fi".
smily_headphones1.gif

I vote for the right one...

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 12
well, considering the one's on the left are wired for monaural (based on the plug being TS and not TRS) and thus likely designed for use with two-way radio, I'd expect the old Koss looking ones would be better sounding.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 12
wow true classics!!

What are they?

I'll go for the right due to the seal of the pads
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Well the ones on the left came with a lot of ham radio equipment I bought. They're for communications quality voice and morse code use. Probably no good even for 1940's era music. Made by C.F. Cannon Co., in Springwater, NY. I figured the cloth covered cable was kind of high end (looking) though!

The others are of course a pair of dried up old Koss PRO4/AA. And I wouldn't vote for them based on the pad seal; they're pretty hard! Good thing they have a lifetime warranty; hmmm.

JimB

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Koss PRO4/AA were my first pair of home headphones. I liked them. Even back then I regretted giving them away, after I bought the Sennheiser HD414.
Then I moved on to Stax, then Beyerdynamics, then back to Sennhesier, then back to Stax, then Grado, then back to Stax ..... where I'll stay... for serious listening

Koss PRO4/AA weren't perfect, but I enjoyed them. A bit too heavy though. Clamping force was present too (trying to remember...).

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 12
Well I just sent the Koss back for regrooving. I'll be interested to see how they sound. I'm guessing they'll replace them with a refurb set of the current PRO4/AA phones. Or just laugh.
The others go into the museum. I wonder if I could frame them or make them into some kind of art?
JimB

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 12
A bit of time with Google will find some folks who've take those old ham radio/WWII cans and have steampunked them into stereo 'phones with new drivers, etc. Not my idea of a good time but they look pretty cool.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Surprise! I just got a new (at least look new) set of PRO/4AAs back from Koss on their lifetime warranty program. Paid $6 for shipping but still not a bad deal considering I got the phones from Goodwill for $3.99!
And while they are a bit on the heavy side they sound pretty decent and feel comfortable too.
JimB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back