My new ARIA has arrived.
Jan 11, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #256 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
Has anyone with the aria done enough comparison to another DAC with it something fairly cheap like an emu0404 or maybe the Fubar II, I'm not really sure if I need a really expensive DAC for up/over sampling since I only listen to redbook audio on my PC which is only 44Khz and 16 bit which of course is the same as the Aria DAC.

I haven't done a direct comparison with emu0404 but I would say it's in the same ballpark. I did do a direct comparison with the microdac and the difference was quite significant.

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #257 of 396
Thanks for your thoughts, thats what I was hoping for. As long as it is around the range of the 0404 then I feel no need to upgrade, that is at least until I have the money for a better 300+ dollar DAC

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #258 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I did do a direct comparison with the microdac and the difference was quite significant.

could you epand on that abit please?

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #259 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner
could you epand on that abit please?

I'll try, but it's pretty much a no-contest -- I can tell the difference without switching back and forth. Compared to the microdac, the internal dac sounds a bit veiled, flatter, less dynamic. I say "veiled" because some parts of the highs are not there (I'm not eloquent enough to say exactly which parts). Vocals sound less vibrant/life-like and doesn't have a lot of texture and weight. To be fair though, my microdac has fully burned in while the Aria hasn't. Maybe the internal dac will sound different after burn in.

The way it is now, I think my microdac+sr71 sounds better than internal dac/aria, but microdac+aria sounds better than microdac+sr71. Hope that brings some perspective.

But anyway, wow. *Now* I like how my DT880 sounds.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #260 of 396
I received my Aria about 2 1/2 weeks after confirmation of shipment. I haven't listened to it yet as I am in the process of moving. I did examine he amp and it looks really great. Hope it sounds as good. I'm sure it will though. Corda products are quality.

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #261 of 396
I feel really stupid asking this but I cant for the life of me figure out how to change the voltage selector and I really dont want to do anything bad to this amp. Please help me with my ignorance.

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #262 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
I feel really stupid asking this but I cant for the life of me figure out how to change the voltage selector and I really dont want to do anything bad to this amp. Please help me with my ignorance.

For mine, I just used a flat-head screwdriver. Insert and gently turn to the marked position. If you want to be extra careful, you could place a piece of scotch tape on the blade to prevent marring.

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #264 of 396
Thanks for the help Alwayswantsmore I made a sort of makeshift screwdriver with a drill bit and a pair of pliars, dont ask how. Lets just hope I dont blow myself up, or more importantly the amp up.

Jan 12, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #265 of 396
I am one of the people who currently have their ARIA, so you may flame me for saying this but...

What's with all the exaggerated drama about leaving head-fi because of late ARIA's? Jan doesn't run the postal service for Germany let alone any country. If it fails to arrive within a certain time frame I'm sure Jan has a procedure on how to claim back for the lost item and will re-ship a new one.

Please people...

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #266 of 396
I would only be concerned after 14 business days had passed since being shipped...

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #267 of 396
I still have not mailed Jan regarding aria, but its over 11 business days since Jan shipped it. I only wish Jan had mailed us tracking info. Its just an anxiety to receive aria.
frown.gif

I shall wait till early next week b4 I mail Jan. Hope it comes by then.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #268 of 396
Dear Headfellows,

Just a few notes on international shipping.

It costs almost $40,- dollars to send an amp like the Aria from Germany to the USA by regular postal services. To send the same amp by UPS, FedEx or the like will cost around $100,-. I guess this explains why I use postal services only. (Remember, at the end the customer has to pay for the shipping!)

Various USA-owners of the HE90 headphones that were recently shipped by postal services have mentioned that they have not been charged with import duties, despite a declared/insurance value of nearly $5000,-! That certainly would not have happened with UPS/FedEx. Actually, these shipping companies do tend to charge the receiver of a parcel with additional fees for customs handling! Seems like another good reason for me to use postal services only.

The major disadvantage of Postal Services is the (lack of) speed. It normally takes them around 2 weeks to deliver.

However, during the pre-X-Mas period delays upto 4 weeks (!) are very common. Therefore, during the first weeks of December, I decided to send all my parcel by "premium mail". Normally this delivery mode takes 10 days. However, during X-Mas time the gain is more than 4 days since there are hardly any delays and this helped to get as many amps (and phones) delivered as possible before the big party. This mode is $15,- more expensive. Doesn't seem much but with nearly 200 parcels shipped this costed $ 2500,- that I paid from my own pocket!!

After X-Mas I started using normal delivery again. This explains that people have to wait a few days extra now.

Another disadvantage of Postal Services is, that the tracking facilities in Europa and the USA are not compatible. Therefore there aren't any available. Nothing I can do about that.

People that pre-ordered an Aria were met with extra delays because:
1. The amps were finished 2 weeks later than planned.
2. Checking each amp thourougly was more time-consuming than expected.
3. The number of orders was extremely high
There's not much that I could do about this. I have been working 12..16 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past 8 weeks (including X-Mas!). I guess there's a limit to everything.

Cheers

Jan

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #269 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier
Various USA-owners of the HE90 headphones that were recently shipped by postal services have mentioned that they have not been charged with import duties, despite a declared/insurance value of nearly $5000,-! That certainly would not have happened with UPS/FedEx. Actually, these shipping companies do tend to charge the receiver of a parcel with additional fees for customs handling! Seems like another good reason for me to use postal services only.

People that pre-ordered an Aria were met with extra delays because:
1. The amps were finished 2 weeks later than planned.
2. Checking each amp thourougly was more time-consuming than expected.
3. The number of orders was extremely high
There's not much that I could do about this. I have been working 12..16 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past 8 weeks (including X-Mas!). I guess there's a limit to everything.

Cheers

Jan

See everybody...the Aria's are coming. Good things come to those that wait. Be patient.

I can confirm what Jan has stated above as I recently received my HE90, simply can't thank Jan enough over and over again for all he did for us on that deal, and there was absolutely NO import and/or duty fee whatsoever. Just a knock on the door, sign for the package, and good-bye's. I was blown away to be quite honest as I had possibly expected to fork over another couple hundred dollars just to receive the package. Whatever Jan did to get it to me for free was WELL worth any additional delays.

Look forward to receiving the Aria Jan. Thanks again for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back