My new ARIA has arrived.
Jan 15, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #286 of 396
The detail with the aria / DT880's combination is quite startling to me - but the sound is not cold at all. Evenings now involve lying on the sofa, glass of wine in hand, 880's on head & completely lost in the music. Bliss.

Anyone going to post a review of the aria? I'm interested in how others are finding the amp.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #287 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneel
Anyone else still getting blips when using the USB input?

It seems to be related to what else the computer is doing. If I just run winamp / foobar, all is well, but if I start to browse the web I'll get about 2 blips a minute, it's very annoying.

It seems to be my computer rather than the amp that's the problem, but there must be a way to minimise it.

Not all USB connections are created equal.All Intel chipsets seem to work right, but others vary.
Under most circumstances you won't notice it, it just slows the bitstream a bit down, but USB audio in isochronous mode is dependant on a perfect USB connection.
One of my computers works flawlessly when connected to my USB DAC, the other causes blips similar to your situation.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #288 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervinos
The detail with the aria / DT880's combination is quite startling to me - but the sound is not cold at all. Evenings now involve lying on the sofa, glass of wine in hand, 880's on head & completely lost in the music. Bliss.

Yep, there seems to be a synergy between corda amps and the DT880; together they sing lovely.
880smile.png

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #290 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
Yep, there seems to be a synergy between corda amps and the DT880; together they sing lovely.
880smile.png

There sure is. I've got a pair of MS1 that came on Friday morning that I was listening to whilst I was at work last night and absolutely adored and then, as soon as I got home, I just wanted to try out some of the music I'd be listening to played through the Aria into my DT880. I have to say that if this was all that I had to listen to then I would still be one happy person.

Jan 15, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #291 of 396
Quote:

It seems to be related to what else the computer is doing. If I just run winamp / foobar, all is well, but if I start to browse the web I'll get about 2 blips a minute, it's very annoying.

It seems to be my computer rather than the amp that's the problem, but there must be a way to minimise it.

I've noticed a ticking type sound, (very faint BTW) when using USB on occasion. I'd descride it as the type of sound you can make with your fingernails....
It's seems to happen when my computer is doing lots of other stuff as well as playing music. To me, the simple solution is to lighten the processer's load.
Anyway, I've *noticed* it, but it doesn't *bother* me as I chalk it up to what the computer's limitations are, not the amp's

Jan 15, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #292 of 396
Quote:

Anyone going to post a review of the aria? I'm interested in how others are finding the amp.

I posted one here, FWIW: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...&postcount=108

Also, I have had no problems at all with the USB input (Windows XP).

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #293 of 396
Just my luck that I have to wait 14+ business days for my amp to get here and it still hasnt come in. I hate the US mail.
mad.gif
Amp Shipped on the 27th.

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #294 of 396
Quote:

I did when I had the usb plugged into the usb slot on the top of my case (thermaltake tsunami) but after I switced it to the back I really havent noticed it even when playing WoW or CS.

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #295 of 396
Quote:

Maybe Jan uses Beyer headphones to tune the amp. I was startled as well when I plugged them in-- all my gripes about the dt880 is competely gone.

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #296 of 396
I thought the sound coming from my aria was off-center.. i.e. a little more volume is on the left than the right ( by about 1 db ). The aria was connected using both the usb and line-in. By happenstance I disconnected the usb and now the sound is dead on center. Is anyone having the same experience (or is this my mind playing tricks) ?

Jan 16, 2006 at 12:33 PM Post #297 of 396
I have noticed some resistance when having both of them plugged in, yes. Generally more if I listen to the RCA inputs when the USB is plugged in, not the other way around.

You're mind isn't playing tricks, it seems. When you tell your loved one that you want a divorce and you're moving to Egypt to be in peace with your Aria, then perhaps its gone a bit too far (as this was pointed out to me over the weekend by the kind people at Klosterman's Assisted Living Facility).

Jan 16, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #298 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I thought the sound coming from my aria was off-center.. i.e. a little more volume is on the left than the right ( by about 1 db ). The aria was connected using both the usb and line-in. By happenstance I disconnected the usb and now the sound is dead on center. Is anyone having the same experience (or is this my mind playing tricks) ?

I've not noticed anything like this with either USB or line-in. However I'm not sure that my ears would be able to pick up something like 1db difference in volume (I don't seem to be able to make all the differences in sound that a lot of people round here seem able to - at least I can't do it yet... but then I've not been round here very long)

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #299 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
I did when I had the usb plugged into the usb slot on the top of my case (thermaltake tsunami) but after I switced it to the back I really havent noticed it even when playing WoW or CS.

Very strange indeed.

I have exactly the same case and I tried switching from the USB sockets on top of the case to the back and it changed nothing. I also tried a different cable.

The blips I hear are not at all faint, they are like a CD missreading badly.

Certainly I can lighten the CPU load when I want to do serious listening but I also want to enjoy music while surfing the web. I changed from Firefox to Opera which helped a bit but not hugely.

It seems I am stuck with this problem
frown.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #300 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I've not noticed anything like this with either USB or line-in. However I'm not sure that my ears would be able to pick up something like 1db difference in volume (I don't seem to be able to make all the differences in sound that a lot of people round here seem able to - at least I can't do it yet... but then I've not been round here very long)

I finally found out why! It's because I had the amp on for days continuously and never turned it off. I started noticing the pot becoming imbalanced and scratchy (like pa2v2) at very low levels. Today I started noticing brief static coming out at periodic intervals out of the right channel.

I turned amp off, and then back on. Poof! All of those issues disappeared. Static accumulation? anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back