My new amp: Grace M902
Jul 22, 2008 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a Grace Design M902 m902 reference headphone amplifier . This has replaced my HR Microstack as the engine driving my office audio system. Rather than using USB straight into the Grace, I have continued to use an M-Audio Transit to convert USB to digital (optical), resampling the stream to 96k in Foobar using SRC (as I did when feeding the MicroDac). The Grace sounds great with GS-1000's, which was my primary motivation for buying it. The Microstack did a serviceable job driving these cans, and the substitution of the RA-1 in place of the MicroAmp w/ desktop module provided still greater synergy. However, The M902 finally seems to be giving the GS-1000's what they need to thrive.

I'll test it with USB straight to the Grace one of these days, but I suspect from the comments of others here who have done this before me that I will prefer the optical solution.

I'm not skilled at using audiophile terminology to describe a subjective listening experience, so I'll just say this is the best my GS1K's have ever sounded. I don't hear anything that I wish was "better." Sibilance is my nemesis; I hear less of it with the Grace than I hear with any of my other amps when listening to the GS-1000's, but if the recording is bad it still sneaks through to some extent.

It will be interesting to see if the character of the Grace changes with burn-in. I am happy with the purchase already though. In terms of cost, this setup is about twice as expensive as the system it replaced. Is the Grace twice as good as the RA-1/MicroDac combination for driving GS1k's? Absolutely not. If anything, having the Grace has further assured me that the humble RA-1 really is relatively well matched to the GS1k's. So far I have no "buyers' remorse" though--this is a very nice sounding system.

I will also add that to my ears, my computer audio system sounds better than my Denon 2200>Grace via SPDIF, but the difference is minimal and could be placebo or difference in volume.

This unit is built like a tank, as is the uber-expensive remote control (sold separately). It looks like what it is: a professional grade reference headphone amplifier which includes a DAC and much of the functionality of a preamp.

I haven't tried the Grace with any other serious cans yet, but I suspect it will play nice with any of them.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 15
Congratulations ! And welcome to the M902 camp
smily_headphones1.gif

The built-in headphone amp of M902 is, in my opinion, the best will find in amongst all DAC/Amp combo on the market.

And considering all the features the M902 offers, it is a real Swiss Army Knife for audio, and I would say is well worth the price.

I especially like its ability of having separate volume control for line out and headphone which I found very useful. Soundwise, it is not the best I have heard, but close.

I did not hear the M902 with my G1000 but from my mix and match experience, the M902 is not too picky on the cans. I cannot recall any particular cans sound bad or odd with it.

The USB connection is not bad, but SPDIF is definitely better.

The "optional" remote is, in my opinion, not optional. It is a necessity.

And look forward to your impressions as it continues to settle down.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 15
That's a nice amp. Why the change from the HR. If I hadn't ready your post, I would have thought that was a bit of a "sideways" move although the Grace Design has more flexibility and probably better build quality. Did you just think it's better paired with the Grados?

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a nice amp. Why the change from the HR. If I hadn't ready your post, I would have thought that was a bit of a "sideways" move although the Grace Design has more flexibility and probably better build quality. Did you just think it's better paired with the Grados?

Yes, I thought it would work better with the Grados--and it does. Also, I got tired of hauling my Microstack back and forth from home to office everyday (I use the Microstack as my "bedroom rig" using my I-River H140 as source).

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 15
I've sold everything except for a DT880 and is looking forward to reassemble a new simple system.

The DAC1 with a SB Duet seems an logical option. Have anyone here compared the Grace with DAC1 in terms of sound quality staright from headphone jack?

Frankly, I suspect I'll be better off sound quality wise with a standalone DAC with a tube amp, but I'm trying to simplify as much as I can.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I thought it would work better with the Grados--and it does. Also, I got tired of hauling my Microstack back and forth from home to office everyday (I use the Microstack as my "bedroom rig" using my I-River H140 as source).

Thanks interesting. Yeah I can imagine that the packing and unpacking was a pain. I have a micro stack 2007 ultra. I think the DAC is truly great. The amp is good. If you don't mind me asking where'd you purchase the Grace? What about the Grace seems to work better with your Grado?

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 15
Grats on the new amp Comfy, and good to hear from you again.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grats on the new amp Comfy, and good to hear from you again.

Thanks Bones! Glad to see you are still here.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind me asking where'd you purchase the Grace? What about the Grace seems to work better with your Grado?

I bought mine from B&H Photo. They seemed to have the best price, although not by much. m902 | B&H Photo Video

I'm not very good at describing sound, but I'll try. Part of it was sibilance--I hate sibilance and I always heard a lot of it with the GS1k's and the HR MicroAmp, and to a lesser extent the RA-1. That's not the whole story though. I just always had the sense that the phones were not being driven to their potential with my old amps. There was something missing in the sound spectrum. With the Grace, the phones really spring to life. I hear the highs, mids and lows and they just sound "right." I wish I could do a better job of describing this, but I really can't.

Don't get me wrong--the GS1K's still sounded good with the MicroStack and with the MicroDac + RA-1. (They don't sound "good" with all amps though; they sound horrid with the Xin SuperMicro IV v.1, for example).The sound I'm getting now is just more full and lively. Perhaps I'll be able to refine this description a bit more after more listening--I've only had the amp for a day.
cool.gif

Fkclo, thanks to you as well for your comments. I read everything you posted on Headfi about this amp before I bought it. After my wallet recovers from this substantial hit, I'll be in the market for some quality desktop monitors to plug into the Grace. I agree with you about the remote--it's really necessary if you want to acces the sub-menus, and it's mighty handy for adjusting volume. That was one of the factors that pushed me toward the Grace rather than the Benchmark Dac1 pre.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 15
Hi Lo, Noticed you also own the Pico, I have one coming my way. How much will I sacrifice in sound quality compared to Grace or Dac1 thru USB feed?

Grace's description does look reassuring, "The m902 provides high-resolution and low-level ambient detail with crossfeed circuitry for improved headphone imaging, an internal linear power supply with a custom wound toroidal transformer, high current transimpedance headphone amplifier circuitry, high-quality metal film resistors and sealed gold contact relays for all signal switching."

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 15
The Pico advantage is its compact USB DAC/Amp combo.

Soncially, the Pico and M902 are two different animals. M902 has more power which translates into much better head room, much smoother in sound (I like the highs a lot through the M902) and simply more resolving.

But again, it is not fair to compare the Pico against the M902 at over 3x the price.

As a side note: As USB DAC the Ultra Fi iRoc is surprisingly good. Although it is almost US$1,500 listed, chances are one will get a almost new one for around US$750 at Audiogon. At this price it is a very good deal with due regard to how it sounds.

F. Lo

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your reply on the Pico. I'll be looking at the WA6 or 6SE if the solid state sound is too sterile. The m902 does look promising over the DAC1, is the pricing in HK attractive for Grace?

Unfortunately the price of M902 in Hong Kong is far from attractive. I made an inquiry to the local dealer and was quoted a US$2,000+ (including the remote). So, I ended up bring one used on the internet, which turned out to be in mint, like new condition.

Getting a DAC1 / USB / Pre is much easier as there is a more active agent in Hong Kong who used to keep stock, but the price is just listed + shipment so one will not gain any advantage despite the fact that Hong Kong does not levy any duties or tax for audio equipments.

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back