My new AKG K701 sounding equal or worse than old BOSE triports, Need help
May 16, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 46
The AKG K701 is know for having relatively weak bass (but they pretty damn low in terms of frequency) and quite a bit of highs. Your impressions are not surprising. Yes, a good amp could solve this, but it's not going to change the character of the headphones fundamentally.

Maybe a Musical Fidelity V-Can would be good.

May 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 46

Quote:
The AKG K701 is know for having relatively weak bass (but they pretty damn low in terms of frequency) and quite a bit of highs. Your impressions are not surprising. Yes, a good amp could solve this, but it's not going to change the character of the headphones fundamentally.

Maybe a Musical Fidelity V-Can would be good.

The 701 have great bass. It is not weak at all. It just isn't tipped or dominant. The 701 are very detailed neutral and with the proper source and amp are reference cans and priced very low for what you get. Both my Matrix M Stage and Little Dot MK11 drive them without any glitches. The Matrix brought them to another level, If hearing all the notes on an acoustic bass and the inner sound of a bongo drum is weak bass give it to me all day long. My opinion of course. Try listening to Patricia Barber Companion album track 2,3,7 and see what bass the 701 really has.

May 16, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #18 of 46
I maintain what I said, compared to other headphones, they have a low amount of bass and are slightly tipped towards the treble.
I have that album, the bass is controlled, but I wouldn't say the response is flat.

May 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #22 of 46
Are your 701s brand new? That is a phone which I understand requires at least 100 hours of burn-in before it begins to reach its potential. Some say a lot more hours. The topic has been discussed extensively at head-fi, so search around.

Could this be responsible for at least part of your dissatisfaction? I'm interested since I am considering buying a set of K702s myself.

As far as budget amps are concerned, in another thread a head-fier (tdogzthmn) with whom I also had PM contact was quite satisfied with the Aphex 454 solid-state 4-channel amp combined with his K702s. It goes dicsounted for $199 new on Ebay. Other amps are also discussed in the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468674/k702-s-and-an-amp/0

See also:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/146130/what-are-you-amping-the-k701-with/0

May 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #23 of 46
I can safely say the LD MKV is not a good mate for the AKG 701. 

It was the only headphone that sounded bad and underpowered on it off all the ones I own. Take that for what it is worth though, I didn't like the headphone too much anyways, but I would try a different amp.

May 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 46
@sokolov91
I wasnt looking into MKVs but the MKIIIs but thanks

Quote:
Are your 701s brand new? That is a phone which I understand requires at least 100 hours of burn-in before it begins to reach its potential. Some say a lot more hours. The topic has been discussed extensively at head-fi, so search around.

Could this be responsible for at least part of your dissatisfaction? I'm interested since I am considering buying a set of K702s myself.

As far as budget amps are concerned, in another thread a head-fier (tdogzthmn) with whom I also had PM contact was quite satisfied with the Aphex 454 solid-state 4-channel amp combined with his K702s. It goes dicsounted for $199 new on Ebay. Other amps are also discussed in the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468674/k702-s-and-an-amp/0

See also:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/146130/what-are-you-amping-the-k701-with/0

Yeah I read about that on amazon as well. My headphones are very new yes, it will be a while to reach 100 hrs ... I'm not going to force burning it in by leaving it connected and playing music etc

I've tried the triports and QC3s today at a bose stand in futureshop today and was impressed at the bass response. I guess I am just disappointed that the K701 doesn't have that kind of bass response as the QC3 even though they cost about the same.
And is it just me or do bose headphones feel more comfortable? Anyways, I am probably going with the Maverick D1s since they offer superior connectivity along with a DAC ... plus a tube inside !

May 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 46
No offense, but you really should have researched more into both the K701's sound signature and what is needed to drive the K701 (a great source and powerful amp) if you were hoping for them to be a better version of the Triports.

May 16, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 46
Aha, I guessed right. They do have a reputation for being very bright in the beginning, but they even out somewhere >100 hours. I'd say browse around here -- I've seen a K701 user thread somewhere -- and see what the actual owners say about the bass. I recall reading a thread where the user was burning them in and reported on his progress at several intervals.

I tried a pair of (well-used) 701s at a local head-fi meet a couple months ago and found nothing wanting. That was my impetus to save up for 702s (I prefer the detachable cable).

It occurs to me that you may have gotten accustomed to a headphone which boosts the bass. I don't know the Bose characteristics, but bass-boosting is a feature of an awful lot of cans including high-end ones. The K70x (and the K240DF which I have now) on the other hand are distinguished by their neutrality and might sound anemic if you've gotten used to a bass-heavy sound. After listening to my DFs and also the K701 at the recent meet, I was shocked when I tried some Beyerdynamic DT880s. It had an overwhelming bass resonance in comparison to the AKGs. It really disturbed me. I'm sure I'd get used to it over time, but you get the point -- your impression is partly colored by what you're used to.

Re amp burn-in, I've seen mention of that, but it may vary depending on the type of amplifier. Do a search on "Amp burn-in" and you will find a whole bunch of threads on the subject.

Also do a search on "K701 burn-in" and you'll find a lot more impressions and advice. The Search function is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back