My new 3 watt dead-silent USB Linux music server. Pics Added.
Apr 2, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #76 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc_paramedic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the command: apt-get install rsync

Thanks ! This was it. Although, I still get an alert, but the copy seems to have succeeded. The message I receive is the following. Do I have to modify something (language settings) in the configuration of the Voyage Linux installation ?

----------

Ready to go ....
Copying files .... done

Removing pcmcia from update-rc.d
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "fr_CH.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/pcmcia ...
Removing dnsmasq.pxe.conf in /etc/dnsmasq.more.conf
copyfiles.sh script completed

----------

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #78 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by siriri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ! This was it. Although, I still get an alert, but the copy seems to have succeeded. The message I receive is the following. Do I have to modify something (language settings) in the configuration of the Voyage Linux installation ?

----------

Ready to go ....
Copying files .... done

Removing pcmcia from update-rc.d
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "fr_CH.UTF-8"
Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/pcmcia ...
Removing dnsmasq.pxe.conf in /etc/dnsmasq.more.conf
copyfiles.sh script completed

----------

When you log into your Alix for the the first time you can fix this by issuing the command: dpkg-reconfigure locales

Do this as the root user. Pick your locales as per your language and country.

Cheers

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #79 of 113
Ok, thanks.

Now I am a bit lost. I put the CF-card in the Alix board and connected the power cord. I tried to "see" the Alix via the router to get/fix its IP address, but it didn't appear there. The left LED of the Alix board was blinking. I should do some configuration now, but don't know where or how to start.

So your help would be really appreciated
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Ok, thanks.

Now I am a bit lost. I put the CF-card in the Alix board and connected the power cord. I tried to "see" the Alix via the router to get/fix its IP address, but it didn't appear there. The left LED of the Alix board was blinking. I should do some configuration now, but don't know where or how to start.

So your help would be really appreciated
wink.gif

OK, this all depends on your router. Is there a section where DHCP leases are listed? That is, most routers will assign an IP to a new atatched device from a specific pool of numbers, e.g., 192.168.1.10, then 192.168.1.11, etc.

Once you know this number you can do your *first* login as root to the Alix via ssh xxx.xxx.x.x After the first login you can then setup a normal user account and its password user via the adduser command.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #81 of 113
Quote:

OK, this all depends on your router. Is there a section where DHCP leases are listed? That is, most routers will assign an IP to a new atatched device from a specific pool of numbers, e.g., 192.168.1.10, then 192.168.1.11, etc.

Once you know this number you can do your *first* login as root to the Alix via ssh xxx.xxx.x.x After the first login you can then setup a normal user account and its password user via the adduser command.

Yes my router does that. It starts at 192.168.1.2. I have fixed the IP address of the debian PC at 192.168.1.20 and would like to do the same for the Alix board (for example to 192.168.1.30) in order to always have the same addresses for the machines. This might simplify some things.

I will now try the login via the root user account on the Alix via ssh.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #82 of 113
Quote:

Yes my router does that. It starts at 192.168.1.2. I have fixed the IP address of the debian PC at 192.168.1.20 and would like to do the same for the Alix board (for example to 192.168.1.30) in order to always have the same addresses for the machines. This might simplify some things.

I will now try the login via the root user account on the Alix via ssh.

Yes. Set a static IP for your Alix as well. This will make things easier.

And the default password for the Alix server will be "voyage". (no quotes)

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #83 of 113
Quote:

Yes. Set a static IP for your Alix as well. This will make things easier.

And the default password for the Alix server will be "voyage". (no quotes)

There must be some problem.

I installed openssh-server on the debian pc. I made sure that "Permit RootLogin" is "yes" in the sshd_config file and then I restarted ssh. After that I entered the command :

"ssh -2 -p 22 root@192.168.1.2".

The result was :

"ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.2 port 22: No route to host"

Then I tried : ping 192.168.1.2 and it says : "Destination Host Unreachable"

Any idea what is wrong ?

Do I have to change some configs on the CF-card after the Voyage Linux installation (for example network preferences, DHCP, ...) ?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #84 of 113
Quote:

There must be some problem.

I installed openssh-server on the debian pc. I made sure that "Permit RootLogin" is "yes" in the sshd_config file and then I restarted ssh. After that I entered the command :

"ssh -2 -p 22 root@192.168.1.2".

The result was :

"ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.2 port 22: No route to host"

Then I tried : ping 192.168.1.2 and it says : "Destination Host Unreachable"
Any idea what is wrong ?

SSH has two parts: the client and the server. You only need to install ssh server on the debian pc to allow remote logins to the desktop pc. Please change RootLogin back to "no"; that is a *big* security risk.

Did you reboot your Alix after you made that change?

Is you cable plugged into the jack closest to the power connector?

When rebooting your Alix board keep an eye on the LED's where the LAN cable is plugged in. You should it see it a series of rapid blinks approximately 10-30 seconds after rebooting the board.

Install nmap on your dektop: apt-get install nmap

Issue the command nmap -sP 192.168.1.*
You should get a list of machines that are up and running. My Alix shows up as:
Host alix2 (192.168.1.17) appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 (PC Engines GmbH)

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #85 of 113
Quote:

SSH has two parts: the client and the server.

Yes, I know.

Quote:

You only need to install ssh server on the debian pc to allow remote logins to the desktop pc. Please change RootLogin back to "no"; that is a *big* security risk.

Actually, with "debian pc" I understand my desktop pc. I changed the RootLogin back to "no" and restarted ssh.

Quote:

Did you reboot your Alix after you made that change?

I'm not quite sure. I will do it now.

Quote:

Is you cable plugged into the jack closest to the power connector?

Do you mean the Ethernet cable ? No, the Ethernet cable was on the opposite side. I changed it to the one near the power connector.

Quote:

When rebooting your Alix board keep an eye on the LED's where the LAN cable is plugged in. You should it see it a series of rapid blinks approximately 10-30 seconds after rebooting the board.

Ok, yes I see these blinks. I guess this indicates the end of the booting and communication with the router.

Quote:

Install nmap on your dektop: apt-get install nmap

Issue the command nmap -sP 192.168.1.*
You should get a list of machines that are up and running. My Alix shows up as:
Host alix2 (192.168.1.17) appears to be up.
MAC Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00 (PC Engines GmbH)

I installed it and yes the Alix board is there, its IP address is 192.168.1.2, as expected.
I pinged it and it works.
I ssh'ed to the Alix board and now I'm in there.

You are amazing and your help is worth a lot. I already owe you some beers :wink:.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #86 of 113
Quote:

Yes, I know.

Actually, with "debian pc" I understand my desktop pc. I changed the RootLogin back to "no" and restarted ssh.

Sorry. I'll specify desktop and Alix from now on.

Quote:

Do you mean the Ethernet cable ? No, the Ethernet cable was on the opposite side. I changed it to the one near the power connector.

Yeah, I meant Ethernet cable.

Quote:

Ok, yes I see these blinks. I guess this indicates the end of the booting and communication with the router.

I installed it and yes the Alix board is there, its IP address is 192.168.1.2, as expected.
I pinged it and it works.
I ssh'ed to the Alix board and now I'm in there.

You are amazing and your help is worth a lot. I already owe you some beers :wink:.

Excellent.

Now, a few things you should do:

Use the command adduser to add a normal user account.

Re-login as the normal user. When logged in as a normal user and you need to do something as root, you can use the command "su" to change to the super user account. When done with your tasks you can use the command "exit" to drop back down to the normal user. Example: when logged in as, say sirri, and you might need to edit mpd conf -which only the super user can edit- you would su, enter your password, and now be the root user, as indicated by the # symbol after the shell prompt. That # is also a careful reminder to *very* *very* careful when your typing and executing commands. You can hose the whole system with the careless use of the rm command if you're not careful.

As root: apt-get install jed mpd alsa-base

Also, as root configure your locales as specified in the previous post.

Jed is a very simple text editor. You need it to edit some config files, such as mpd.conf. You might also want to add nfs-common to that list if you are goint to be using NFS for fetching your files.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #88 of 113
With the jed editor you can use your arrow keys and PgUp and PgDn keys to navigate the config file. When your done editing you hold the Contol key down while at the same time holding down the keys X and S to save your changes. Hold the Contol key again with X and C to exit jed.

If you think you messed something up severely, e.g., deleted a whole paragraph of mpd.conf, just exit jed using Control X C. At the bottom of the screen jed will ask you whether you want to save your changes by answering Y or N. Just hit N. The just re-edit mpd.conf via the command jed /etc/mpd.conf

You might also want to install jed on your desktop to look at the manual page for a tutorial on how to use jed.

command: apt-get install jed
command: man jed

I don't think man pages are installed on Voyage Linux so as to save space.

If the man page is a bit overwhelming you can also use Google to find tutorials on jed or another simple editor called pico.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #89 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another platform that would work well for this is the Beagle Board, it is slightly more expensive though.

BeagleBoard.org - default

Was introduced after I purchased my Alix. It's nice, but it is ARM based. For the newbie I think x86 might make for an easier install of a stripped down Linux such as Voyage Linux.

For the Linux connoisseur 'tis a nice alternate solution.

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #90 of 113
Wow, great help again. It would take me years without your help. I will apply all your suggestions.

I already tried to reconfigure locales as you told me but the following message appeared :

----------
voyage:~# dpkg-reconfigure locales
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "fr_CH.UTF-8"
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (No usable dialog-like program is installed, so the dialog based frontend cannot be used. at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Dialog.pm line 75.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
debconf: (Can't locate Term/ReadLine.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Readline.pm line 7.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
Package `locales' is not installed and no info is available.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: locales is not installed
-----------

I then tried to install locales. So, first I entered apt-get update. There seems to be a problem with the /etc/apt/sources.list as some of the package sources can not be found and some other problems occur also. Then, when I enter "apt-get install locales" the result is the following :

----------
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
----------

Well, anyway, I will stop disturbing you for a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back