My neverending quest for good cans...
Feb 10, 2002 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Eli's Adventure

Head-Fier
First of all, i just want to tell you that i have searched the forums already. In fact i have been researching for a while now. But that is beside the point.

I am looking for a can under 150 US dollars that will suit my needs, if that is possible.

I mainly listen to Hardcore Punk, Death Metal, Classical and also Jazz. These cans will be driven by my receiver. They probably will never touch my PCDP. I would prefer Open cans, but if you can recommend me some Closed cans that sound as if they are open then that is fine. They must be circumaural (sorry guys, but no grados). Overall, i want a good clear bass that is tight and not "muddy", good mids, and good highs. I would like it to be a very balanced can if that is possible.

I have been looking at the following cans:

Phillips HP 890

Senn HD570 & HD 575

Beyer DT 831, DT 250-80 & DT 99

AKG K401 & K501

I will probably end up getting a headphone amp sometime, but i not anytime soon.

Thanks in advance

Feb 10, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 15
I guess you meant to write Beyer DT 990 and not DT 99? My choices would be (in that order): DT 770 Pro (closed), DT 990 Pro (semi-open), DT 250-80 and Philips HP890.

The DT 831 is simply too bright and fatiguing for my tastes, I don't like those Senns at all (the HD580 and 600 are better by far), and the severely bass-shy and distant sounding AKG K501 wouldn't be my choice either, especially not for hardcore punk and death metal.

Feb 10, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Eli's Adventure
Overall, i want a good clear bass that is tight and not "muddy", good mids, and good highs. I would like it to be a very balanced can if that is possible.

Welcome to Head-Fi, Eli. Another headphone that fits your criteria would be the Sennheiser HD497....if you can handle their appearance. They offer great balanced sound and are easily driven without an amp.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
I guess you meant to write Beyer DT 990 and not DT 99? My choices would be (in that order): DT 770 Pro (closed), DT 990 Pro (semi-open)

Yes, i meant to write 990.
Could you please tell me why you recommend me the Closed DT 770's over the Open DT 990. And also, would either of these cans be good for classical and jazz? And another thing, will my reciever drive both of these cans sufficently?

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Hi Eli,

I've just spent some time this weekend comparing the DT831 and DT990Pro, as well as some other Beyers. I haven't tried Tomcat's recommendation of the DT770Pro, but the 990 does it for me. The midrange is quite restrained, unlike the 831, but the bass and treble are smooth and extended. The 990 can sound bass light at first, but when you listen carefully you realise it just isn't exaggerating the upper bass as so many cans (and speakers) do.

The downside of the 600 ohm cans is that they can be hard to drive for some portables, but that won't worry you.

Listen & enjoy!

Colin

Feb 11, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 15
Eli,
it seems you are decided on getting the Beyer 990 Pros, which are excellent headphones. However, I'll post a link to
this thread where I try to explain why I like the sound of the 770 Pros just a bit more.

All modern day 770 and 990 Pros ought to have new and improved 250 Ohm drivers by the way, not old 600 Ohm ones. This means they might even work when driven by a portable CDP.

Feb 11, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 15
I like the Beyerdynamic DT831. It had the least problems and most neutral sound out of the other BD cans that I've tried.

I suggest you save yourself the trouble of battling the upgrade bug and shell out an extra $20 to get Sennheiser HD580 from Jan Meier. All you need is a good amp, replace those stock cables, and you'll be in headphone bliss in no time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 15
Eli,

I would definitely recommend the AKG K-501,401 & 301. I have the 301 & 401. The 301's,which are not mentioned too often are excellent for Metal music. If you like to hear the crispness of the Guitars,the 301's are great for that and the Bass is also very good and tight, not boomy at all. The 401's are also great and in my opinion,better for Jazz music.

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
I would definitely recommend the AKG K-501,401 & 301.

The problem with the Kx01 AKGs is that he doesn't have an amp, and they really don't sound very good without a lot of power.

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

The problem with the Kx01 AKGs is that he doesn't have an amp, and they really don't sound very good without a lot of power.

Eli,

Yes,that is true; I forgot about that. I've only used my 301's & 401's with an amp. So, when you decide to buy an amp, you could go with the HeadRoom Little or Creek OBH-11SE which I own. The 301's & 401's sound great with either amp; the Creek being my personal preference.

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Eli's Adventure
I will probably end up getting a headphone amp sometime, but i not anytime soon.

No amp Eli? The HP890s are easily driven by my pcdp to ear damaging volumes. I believe the DT250/80 are also quite easily driven by portable gear.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 15
You should get the Philips HP890.you will immediately impressed by their ungainly size,lack of accurate bass and butt-ugly styling.These are phones that either suck or blow, there is no middle ground.I have dumped these on some unfortunate soul who is doing a review and to my great disbelief actually likes them.He should be done with it by this weekend and will post it then.His review will possibly be an anecdote to my unwavering hatred of these phones and my accompanying rants.

BTW, to my fellow team Philips members,I hope this does get me kicked off the team.I still like the 910s you know.

Feb 12, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Eli,
it seems you are decided on getting the Beyer 990 Pros, which are excellent headphones. However, I'll post a link to
this thread where I try to explain why I like the sound of the 770 Pros just a bit more.

Ok, i just read that thread. I am still certain that i want the 990's over the 770's though.

Just remember that you are the main reason that i am getting these cans!
wink.gif
. But seriously, i trust your opinion.

Also, Jan M has already reserved a pair for me. When i get them, i might do a review on them as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 15
Whoa there, I really wouldn't recommend the 990s over the 770s, or even the HP890s for that matter.
The bass is far too 'floppy' on the 990s when compared to the 770s.

831s I definately wouldn't recommend for metal/hard rock as they do get a little harsh.

My order of recommendation would be;
HP890s - excellent for the price, good without an amp, even better with.
770pros - much more controlled bass than the 990s, harder to drive than the HP890s but still very good sounding.
250-80s - I just can't really pick a fault with these except if you have big ears, I'd recommend them over the 770s if the high end was just a little less rolled off, and I'd recommend them over the HP890s if they were as cheap.

Can't comment on AKG or Sennheiser models as I haven't heard them, however I have heard that they can be a little bright - which is BAD for metal IMHO.

The Beyer 990s would probably be my least recommended out of their range and I'm soon to get rid of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back