My my...the KSC75s do scale nicely...
Feb 16, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #31 of 53
I hate to ask this but how do the marshmellows compare to them? I like the marshmellows more just because I would be able to tuck them in my shirt and pull them out during school which i dont think i could do with the k75. I also don't know about clipons. How do they compare in sound if anyone has them both.

my portable is a nano>CMOY>k81dj but for school i want Nano>KSC75/marshmellows i just dont know which to get
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to ask this but how do the marshmellows compare to them? I like the marshmellows more just because I would be able to tuck them in my shirt and pull them out during school which i dont think i could do with the k75. I also don't know about clipons. How do they compare in sound if anyone has them both.

my portable is a nano>CMOY>k81dj but for school i want Nano>KSC75/marshmellows i just dont know which to get
frown.gif

the marshmallows are just toys next to the ksc75 IMO. the sounq quality is so much better on the koss ksc75 then the marshmallows. Just pick up a pai and see if you like them!

and the koss are really good for hot mastered cds!

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have both. My source is 4G iPod Photo and most of my music is MP3 ripped with Lame at --alt-preset standard VBR2 or higher. (http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/CD...ding_Guide.htm) I like all kinds of music - Donald Fagen, Seal, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Crusaders, Metallica, Creed, Nickleback, Bach organ and piano, podcasts...

I have Sennheiser PX-250, iPod buds, Marshmellows, and KSC75s. The PX-250 are not at good as the KSC75 in sound quality the wire management is annoying with the folding and battery unit. I have modded the Marshmellows with Shure medium foams and they isolate better than the PX-250 in active mod. I will keep them my bag for airplane trips. The bass 'might' be slightly deeper for the Marshmellows but there is much more detail across the entire frequency range for the KSC75s. The are also much more comfortable for me, if found the Marshmellows fatiguing after an hour or so. The iPod buds just plain suck and I don't know why Apple sees fit to put their name on them while selling a high quality player for hundreds of dollars.

I also like the KSC75 at the office, the are extremly comfortable and I can wear them for hours. I was tired of inserting and removing the Marshmellows. I don't know quite how this works but if I put them in my ears, the phone would ring or someone would come by.
confused.gif
The KSC75s I can leave on and still have a conversation even with the music on softly. They do leak a little bit. They will be nice for bike riding safely.

In terms of pure sound quality, the bass is full and tight, mids are good but I have noticed some vocals are a bit subdued though it seems to have gotten better after about 20 hours. They are a little bright but not tiresome. They really did open up the music (soundstage?) and I am hearing much more detail in all the ranges. I'm pretty thrilled overall for the price. If I mash them or something I won't be too pissed off either.

They are $17 on Amazon - go for it. My wife put them on after listening to the iPod buds and her Marshmellows. Her response - "When do mine arrive?" They will arrive on Monday needless to say! I would love to spend more but I want to play with these and maybe try some of the mods.

HTH,
Bod

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by urklab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
voila!

DSC05918.jpg

DIY?

Those are one helluva massive earpads.

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I concur. I plugged them into my PIMETA for the hell of it one day, and I was floored on how they improved with amping.

That's my absolute favorite portable combo - simply delicious.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's not get too far carried away. The KSC75/KSC35 do sound wonderful, but aren't nearly as detailed as cans like the AKG K701s, or even a low-end Grado. I'm using a very revealing source and the Koss simply doesn't reveal like my other cans do. Midrange and voices are a little muddy, and highs are rolled off.

You can't put the KSC35 in the same category. They do not sound the same. KSC35 is much less detailed. KSC75's simply sparkle like metallic glitter. The only thing less revealing IMHO, is that Grado's are a little better on dynamics - plucks and taps. The KSC75's lose very little on detail.

About a band -
The KSC75 drivers will snap right into a PortaPro. The only issue is that the KSC75 drivers aren't as flat as the PortaPro/KSC35 drivers, so the band will stick out further and be under greater tension - the temple pads won't work, for instance. You may be able to modify this with some creative bending, but I didn't try it for fear of permanently messing up my PortaPro's.

Personally, I think the KSC75's are perfect already - a wonderful example of tremendous performance in a modest (if not cheap) package. Somehow, the Kramer mod, re-cabling, or putting them on a band defeats the whole idea of a pair of popcorn-cheap headphones that sound fantastic and as this thread says, "scale nicely." (no offense to Kramer, btw)

Feb 17, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #38 of 53
I just snagged a pair of these yesterday after you all talking them up so much
smily_headphones1.gif
First response is that they sound great, seems a tad muffled compared to my k 81s but for not having to carry around my amp/case it will be awesome for just carrying my ipod + KSC75.

Feb 17, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #39 of 53
With the small mods they come out nicely. I do put the 75s in the same category as my 'better' cans, not through any techincal merit, detail or any of that old tosh, but because I enjoy the sound of them. If I prefer their sound to much more expensive cans, doesn't that imply that to me the Koss is as good or better and thus in the same league?

Yes
evil_smiley.gif
hehe

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree... the UR40 is my fave koss 60 ohm can.

yes There was an attempt to do a limited edition Koss KSC75 for head-fi members. I kind of felt bad for all the young members who just couldn't afford the HF1, and had to stand by and drool while the lucky ~450 members ranted and raved. So the idea of a limited edition, black KSC75 for ~$30 was born. Cheap, good looking, comfortable, affordable...truly a can for the masses.

Unfortunately head-fi and Koss couldn't reach a contractual/financial/business agreement that would be beneficial to both parties and the idea kind of fell apart.

it was fun while it lasted though. That thread totally exploded... The "interest-check" thread racked up like 5-6 pages in 1.5 hours. And it spawned a couple sister-threads too, that were equally rampant. The second batch of HF1s was announced right at that time and no-one really noticed, everyone was posting to the KSC75 threads. it could have been the biggest FOTM fever in head-fi history.

Any chance of the negotiations re-opening? I would love a black set with the following: black all the way around including the silicone on the clips, KSC12 foam with hole, screen instead of plastic grill, fabric cord with slide ala JBL Reference 220s.

I have a set, have sold people on two others, and have a set coming for my wife. I'm pretty impressed!

Thanks,
Bod

Feb 20, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't put the KSC35 in the same category. They do not sound the same. KSC35 is much less detailed. KSC75's simply sparkle like metallic glitter. ...

This is exactly why i read this forum. For the wit and star dust. Don't get me wrong, i agree with the sparkle, but the metallic glitter part is just brilliant!

IMO both the 35 and 75 have about the same sparkle. It's easier to detect details on the 75 because there's less bass bloat than the 35.

BTW, sucks that the KSC-HF didn't go through. But either way Koss need to update the design a bit and release in multiple colors (iKoss?).

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #42 of 53
I just picked up these myself to compare with my new PX-100 that I bought yesterday. I don't like the highs with the PX-100.I listened to them today for 6 hours at work which is what I bought them for. The bass on the Senns was nice and the mids grew on me but the highs with cymbals for instance never sparkled but rather sizzled. Very rolled-off/muffled.
frown.gif

The PX-100 is going back, the winner is Koss. These things are more comfortable too. Even though I think the Senns have better bass and slightly better mids, the better treble detail with the Koss made it very easy to decide which I prefered. Just my opinion of course.

I haven't tried amping them yet, just iPod headphone out at this point. They have 40 minutes burn-in.
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #43 of 53
I wasn't such a big fan, but then I adjusted the clips some and quarter-modded them and now I see what everyone is raving about. Can someone tell me how they compare to the SR-60's?

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick-G /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't such a big fan, but then I adjusted the clips some and quarter-modded them and now I see what everyone is raving about. Can someone tell me how they compare to the SR-60's?

To me the SR60's were not a bright as what I thought they would be, after hearing so much about them. It might be because they had the comfy pads and not the bowls.

On the other hand the SR80's, SR125's & SR225's I tested were much more brighter but has less bass, they had the bowl pads.

For $60 or what ever you can get the SR60's...I prefer my KSC75's

Feb 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #45 of 53
I think there's quite a bit of overstatement going on in this thread. I've used KSC-75 as a background check in a comparison I once wrote of eight full-size open headphones, and with hours of solid A/B testing and a definite scheme of what I was listening for and to, the KSC was clearly outclassed by all eight. (some of which cost as little as $30-40) Later, I started to realize what the KSC-75 meant for me: it was the gatekeeper of acceptable SQ. I test every new headphone against it first, and those that fail go quickly away. The ep-630, exiled. The Vibes made it in by a nose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back