My Musical Fidelity M1 DAC appears to be crapping the bed.
May 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OGTL

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm really worried about my M1, as today, unexpectedly and with no cause it has stopped working. It gets power, and the lights on the front turn on, and my computer still recognizes it, but it will not output any sound. Here is an error message I get if I try to use WASAPI. 

When using direct sound, tracks play but there is no sound.

I've tried every cord and tried different usb ports, a different computer, and nothing works. 

There was a power outage yesterday, but the DAC worked fine before I went to sleep for hours after that. I can't afford to replace it right now so this is making me sad. Any help appreciated.

May 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 6
Try hooking a DVD player up to it via coax or optical and playing a CD.  If that works, it's a USB issue.  If not, it's a DAC issue.

May 21, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi!
I'm getting the same issue, but with a M1 DAC-A:
The problem is the same: after listening to music for a while, the dac stops outputting sound, but it's still apparently turned on. The device is still "working properly" according to Windows, and I still have the blue led glowing on the dac: everything's fine! Except that it isn't working.

I just have to reboot it to get the dac back to work, and after a few minutes, it will fail again.

This issue concerns the USB input only. The optical input works perfectly. But for now, I haven't tried on another computer.

So, have you found anything, OGTL?

May 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 6
I haven't, really upsetting. My computer doesn't recognize the DAC like I previously thought. I've tried it on different computers, and nothing.

I haven't been able to try an input other than USB, but the AlienDAC from 2006 that I'm now using full time works.

I'm going to have to replace it, and never buy a MF product agian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back