My Music Server!
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #106 of 115
Quote:
My jaw was on the floor reading the first few pages of this thread.  Coming back to Head-Fi after being away for a few years has made me realize what an utter luddite I am, and this thread really puts an exclamation point on that.  From the relatively minor ripping/cataloguing/organizing experience I have, I can't even imagine spending the kind of time it would take to do anything remotely similar to what the OP has.  It boggles the mind.

haha thanks!! It all turned out to be a sad waste of time.... and im having to retag/ and partially rerip things now... so consider yourself lucky:)
Quote:
This thread inspired me on doing a better job at organizing my music, very nice. Specially the Jazz part.

I'm not sure if it has been suggested, but have you tried Jriver Media Center ? It has a "Theater mode" that looks very similar to Front row and apple TV.

thanks! ive been looking at jriver, i even paid for it, but im not entirely happy with the interface.  i would prefer a theater mode totally folder oriented.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #108 of 115
I'm a lil confused.  Any reason you CAN'T use front row even though it's not being updated?

I've not read the whole thread but it certainly looks impressive.  Put's my little collection to shame certainly.  It also illustrates what a mess mines in.  I just can't work up the will to do it.  Maybe someday.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #109 of 115
Quote:
This is insane man, you are my hero :)

haha, thanks!

Quote:
I'm a lil confused.  Any reason you CAN'T use front row even though it's not being updated?

I've not read the whole thread but it certainly looks impressive.  Put's my little collection to shame certainly.  It also illustrates what a mess mines in.  I just can't work up the will to do it.  Maybe someday.

Cheers

well, its still usable, but I was really only halfway through the project and I'm too afraid to devote more years to it, knowing that the software is no longer available.  It also does not come with current macs and is not integrated with current versions of itunes.

Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #110 of 115
I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that all the non-standard tags in iTunes (sort fields, for example) are stored in the iTunes database and not in the ID3 tag space in the files themselves.  If I'm correct, that means the iTunes database has to travel with the media and not get corrupted in order for all this hard work to endure.  I've lost a database or two... it doesn't seem resilient enough to be the only place that all of this effort's work is being kept.

Still, though, you're passion is amazing... bordering on worrisome... have you been tested for OCD or some sort of brain parasite?  If you haven't, don't.  It might ruin this "comic book"-like story I've just stumbled onto.

Whatever the details, I'm impressed.  Good work.

May 7, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #112 of 115
Wow. Impressive.

I thought I was too nerd to be someone who just needs to organize a music collection in a particular way. You make me feel ambiguously good and bad about myself. Don't take it the wrong way but it makes me feel good to know that I am not the nerdiest or most OCD person I've known (you know that some people think it's unhealthy and frowned upon, so I try  my best to avoid people noticing it in me). At the same time, you make me feel bad about myself for not being able to achieve the same level of detail you have painstakingly and meticulously put upon in your collection.

Also, it makes me guilty because 60% of my music I downloaded for free and 10% I copied from friends. I only bought 30% of my total collections. I have already sold or given away my physical CDs after ripping them and now they are stored in either WAV or FLAC format totaling to about 400 GB of storage.

You can get any album that you want out there if you only know where or how to look but kudos to you for not going down that easy road. It's a trap and once you've done it, you won't be able to get away from it.

I am using JRiver Media Center (yes, I paid for it) and I have thousands of playlists I have created in it. It is not as fancy as the one you have but I think I can live with it.

BTW, with an enormous collection that you have, how do you suppose to listen to them all? You know if you played your collections continuously without ever stopping, you would be done in about 5 years.

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #113 of 115
RESPECT!

Thank god that I'm not a classical music fan lol.
I only store and collect iTunes AAC

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #114 of 115
My music server is youtube
L3000.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #115 of 115
Thanks for the write-up!

A long time ago, I'd ripped to 128k. Disk space was at a premium, then. Now, I wish I'd ripped to 256k (lossless would have been out of my budget). I'm surprised how good the 128k sounds in some cases, though. I've ripped some at CD-quality, now, but even now it would be space limiting to rip all of them. Hence, considering servers like you've done. Anyhow, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back