My Music Server!
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #93 of 115
Quote:

I dont know, would it? Does Apple TV support external harddrives? No I havent.

AppleTV is an extension of your PC/Mac iTunes Library. If its in your library, it'll show up on the AppleTV once you enable home sharing. Plus, you can also use an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to control the AppleTV.

One downside to the AppleTV route is that you'd need a TV or monitor to see its output. But a small LCD TV is inexpensive these days.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #94 of 115
I think an Apple TV would work for you. Check it out at an Apple Store.

But I'd be wary about putting a whole lot of work on formatting to suit a particular external database, app or piece of hardware. Better to spend your energy putting tags into the files themselves, so the info can be read into any player. That way, your work will never become obsolete when an app updates or is discontinued.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #95 of 115
Quote:
I think an Apple TV would work for you. Check it out at an Apple Store.

But I'd be wary about putting a whole lot of work on formatting to suit a particular external database, app or piece of hardware. Better to spend your energy putting tags into the files themselves, so the info can be read into any player. That way, your work will never become obsolete when an app updates or is discontinued.

I wonder if virtualizing Snow Leopard 10.6.8 would work for him.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #96 of 115
Quote:
AppleTV is an extension of your PC/Mac iTunes Library. If its in your library, it'll show up on the AppleTV once you enable home sharing. Plus, you can also use an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to control the AppleTV.

One downside to the AppleTV route is that you'd need a TV or monitor to see its output. But a small LCD TV is inexpensive these days.

apple TV still uses front row?

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #97 of 115
It isn't called front row, but it's very similar. Perhaps the same for your purposes.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #99 of 115
Quote:
Mr. David do you have Apassasionata 1st, 2nd and 3rd move played by Barenboim?

yes, but i dont think ive heard it in a very long time.  I have the set on EMI in the green box all 32 sonatas by Barenboim, is this the set you are referring to?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #101 of 115
I believe the Apple TV will resample everything it plays to 16/48, even 16/44.1 will get resampled to 48 kHz.  High res will certainly get resampled (possibly resampled more than once during the digital travels).  It's not a solution for a high end setup like David has.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #102 of 115
wonderful thread.  i've also bought some westone 4s and sennheiser hd600s because of your flagship thread.

i apologize if somebody has already asked this, but what program do you use besides itunes to fix your id3 tags?  i also have a large classical library with most of it in alac for my ipod. i've started acquiring some music in flac for my sansa clip+ and hopefully a cowon j3 soon.  since itunes doesn't support flac, i can't update the id3 tag.  most of the flac on my sansa clip ends up in the misc. folder.  i am also ocd about how my music is organized.  i guess i have to add that i have a custom built pc with windows. hopefully whatever program you use is also made for windows.

i also have to admit that i appreciate how you have multiple recordings of the same pieces. i also have about 10 mahler sets, about 15 beethoven sets, about 10 sibelius sets, about 5 dvorak sets, and several pieces which i have about a dozen different recordings each.  i enjoy listening to each different one and being able to pick out what i like about each different recording.  i hope to someday conduct some of these pieces, and i'm always looking for interpretations that enjoy

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #104 of 115
My jaw was on the floor reading the first few pages of this thread.  Coming back to Head-Fi after being away for a few years has made me realize what an utter luddite I am, and this thread really puts an exclamation point on that.  From the relatively minor ripping/cataloguing/organizing experience I have, I can't even imagine spending the kind of time it would take to do anything remotely similar to what the OP has.  It boggles the mind.

Mar 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #105 of 115
This thread inspired me on doing a better job at organizing my music, very nice. Specially the Jazz part.

I'm not sure if it has been suggested, but have you tried Jriver Media Center ? It has a "Theater mode" that looks very similar to Front row and apple TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back