My Monster Turbine Copper Pro Sounds Like Ibuds
May 25, 2011 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Hypernova16

New Head-Fier
I bought them from an authorized dealer, is it possible for an authorized dealer to receive fakes? Before I bought them I looked at many videos to spot a fake, it was the first thing I did when I received them. I never had audiophile headphones, this was suppose to be my first pair of audiophile headphones.

-they're not amped
-I just got them today, they're not burned in

.....but I was very disappointed when I first heard them, cuz they sound like ibuds, seriously. I mean they sound better than ibuds, but not by that much. Did I receive fakes?

I got them from Amazon, but not from those 3rd parties. 

May 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 18
Are you getting a good seal? Try playing around with the various tips. The most common cause of problems that new users have with IEMs stems from a poor seal. It'll make the bass disappear, and everything will sound tinny. Again, try a larger size of silicone tips, or if that fails one of the foam tips.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I bought them from an authorized dealer, is it possible for an authorized dealer to receive fakes? Before I bought them I looked at many videos to spot a fake, it was the first thing I did when I received them. I never had audiophile headphones, this was suppose to be my first pair of audiophile headphones.

-they're not amped
-I just got them today, they're not burned in

.....but I was very disappointed when I first heard them, cuz they sound like ibuds, seriously. I mean they sound better than ibuds, but not by that much. Did I receive fakes?

I got them from Amazon, but not from those 3rd parties. 

the monster turbine lineup has this issue of insertion depth and pressure within the ear canals. Too deep or a increase in pressure inside causes the sound stage and everything to practically collapse. try slowly inserting the phones in slowly with a slight twisting motion. also, you might want to switch eartips because that removes the issue of pressure equalization 

May 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 18
Listen to a bass-heavy song, like this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3IslWaB4E. It's like they're battering your ears (unless there's a radical difference from Copper to Golds).

If you can't, your seal likely sucks. I know you said you have a good seal, but like the others have said, insertion depth is crucial with the Turbines. Too deep, and you lose air and clarity, too shallow, and there goes the bass.

I'll admit, when I first got my Golds, I was underwhelmed. It took me hours to get that right "seal." Once you get it, you know. I'd never known what it was like to get a real seal before this. What I did was if you pull slightly on them, and there's suction, you've got the right seal.

May 25, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 18
I highly doubt you have a proper seal if they sound like ibuds. 

May 25, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Listen to a bass-heavy song, like this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3IslWaB4E. It's like they're battering your ears (unless there's a radical difference from Copper to Golds).

If you can't, your seal likely sucks. I know you said you have a good seal, but like the others have said, insertion depth is crucial with the Turbines. Too deep, and you lose air and clarity, too shallow, and there goes the bass.

I'll admit, when I first got my Golds, I was underwhelmed. It took me hours to get that right "seal." Once you get it, you know. I'd never known what it was like to get a real seal before this. What I did was if you pull slightly on them, and there's suction, you've got the right seal.

agreed, when i first got the coppers...i too was underwhelmed. they sounded god awful and the vacuum/pressure was really uncomfortable. unfortunately, before i had a chance to further experiment and get the best sound or even average sound, the shells split so it was back to onecall. when I bought the miles davis tributes, I finally found the intended sound through much more experimentation. by the way, are you listening at a low volume because the coppers quality diminishes as less current is provided to the drivers (not that I am encouraging people to listen at a high volume, but that's the reality i was met with when I got phones from the turbine range)

May 26, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 18

Agreed, I had the same problem, not great sound, no bass and very mono kinda of sound. Its only after 4 months of messing around I finally can hear the nice sound they produce when correctly fitted, Sony hybrid tips helped a lot, the tips that come from them IMO are too hard.  Just give it time. 

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 18
I tried every tip, moved them around, still sounds like crap :/

Feels like a wasted my money on this headphone.

Is it like this with every universal iem, the fitting problem? Maybe, I just received an counterfeit, even though I got them from an authorized dealer.

May 26, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 18
^^ I had the same thought.

Although, I can't say that I really enjoyed any of the tips that came with the headphones, even though there were many... I ended up getting some Comply foam tips (Tx-400), and now I love em.
...but even then, when I first put the headphones on, even though I didn't have the right seal, (although close) I could still tell the difference.
(These were my first dip into above £60 headphones.)

You sure you have genuine ones? Where did you get them from?

May 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 18
May 29, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 18
If they sound like iBuds, there is something wrong...

I'm going with seal...  Describe the sound out of them (with more detail than it sounds like iBuds...)  Maybe we can actually see if it is definitely the seal.

Try different tips, gels, foams, Comply, Sony Hybrids, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back