My monitor headphones broke, need a new pair
Jun 22, 2020 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Anghi22

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, today is a sad day: my Shure SRH840 of 6 years just died and since they were pretty old I opted to buy a new pair, my problem is, what to pick?

Let me give you some info to better understand my needs:

I use them only in my house, never bring them outside and mainly for mixing audio, editing videos, listening to lots of music and the usual discord call with friends every weekend.

I listen to about every music genre but mostly focus on metal and electronic(mostly electronic lately)
some examples:

I already own 2 other pairs of headphones for daily use which are the 1More dual driver(pretty good but a bit too heavy on the bass for my tastes, they sometimes tend to drown out the vocals) and Sony WF-1000XM3(I LOVE the super wide soundspace from these); my current speakers are from Edifier(don't remember the model) and sound quite flat from what I can tell.

At the moment I will be connecting them directly to my pc(cause my JDS OL DAC is connected to my speakers amd has no headphone output) though I may consider getting an amp in the future.

I love listening to voices in songs so I would love something as flat as possible or maybe that puts a focus on vocals without taking too much away from everything else, although judging by how varied my music listening habits are I'd still opt for something flat.

Budget would be below €300 if possible(my current ones costed roughly 150 I think)

Considering I live with other people open backs are not an option so I would like something with good isolation but not too tight on my ears(I wear glasses and too much pressure makes the metal dig in my ears hurting quite a bit)

Considering these monitors were the only pair I ever owned/tried I'll leave the decision to you on whether I should go with monitors again or try out something else.

I live in Italy so please consider this if possible(have no music stores near me so would have to order online from amazon or some other site)

For all those who read until here, I apologize for the super long post but this is a pretty important topic for me, considering how much I listen to music in my daily life but that I am not really informed when it comes to this specific topic

P.S. should I maybe consider getting an amp to expand my options instead of plugging my headphones directly into my pc jack?

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 5
My two cents.
Get the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (buy used on eBay), for Audio production.
Then spend the rest of your budget for headphones for audio enjoyment (music, movies, etc)

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 5
My two cents.
Get the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 (buy used on eBay), for Audio production.
Then spend the rest of your budget for headphones for audio enjoyment (music, movies, etc)
Thanks for the reply!

I tried looking for them and easily found the 7506 for ~ 100€, the V6 are pretty hard to find even on ebay and come ~ 300, completely spending my budget.

Regarding the opther pair for listening to music, is there anything specific you would suggest?

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply!
I tried looking for them and easily found the 7506 for ~ 100€, the V6 are pretty hard to find even on ebay and come ~ 300, completely spending my budget.
Regarding the other pair for listening to music, is there anything specific you would suggest?
Audio Technica ATH-A990Z
https://www.thomann.de/it/audio_technica_ath_a990z.htm
I owned the older ATH-A900X headphones, liked using them with my PC.

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 5
Audio Technica ATH-A990Z
https://www.thomann.de/it/audio_technica_ath_a990z.htm
I owned the older ATH-A900X headphones, liked using them with my PC.
Thanks again for the suggestion!

Unfortunately those headphones are out of stock on Thomann and on Amazon they cost roughly 280€ with shipping and all but would also take 2 weeks to arrive(since it's an import I may also incur in import tax fees I think).

Do you have any suggestion for another pair that I could maybe find with a shorter shipping time(usually anything that's not an import takes less than 3 days to deliver)? If not I'll just take the jump and hopefully they will arrive sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back