My mind is going to explode looking for new headphones.
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HeckRaiser

New Head-Fier
I have been researching for WAY too long and every time I think I see headphones I like there is some factor that someone says and I run away from them on look for another pair.

I currently have the M50's like most and I have no issues with sound quality but after a few hours of listening my ears are killing me. I've had these for years and just recently the cord has a problem, probably from running over it with my chair one to many times. Anyway I am looking for a new set of cans and maybe even an upgrade. I want to at least get rid of the things I didn't like about the M50's.

Just a little background I am a guitarist/song writer for hard rock music and will be using these for some long, late night recording sessions as well and just general music listening (mostly hard rock), gaming and TV. 

What I am looking for in headphones in order of importance are as follows:

1. Closed Back, for my late night sessions. It doesn't need CRAZY isolation but open back just doesn't cut it.
2. Comfort - Over the ear cups, for long hours of use. I have used over the ear cups and the speakers were still close to my ear and hurt after a few hours.
3. Good for Hard Rock, I do want decent bass which I ran into some cans that have what seems like none (I think quality is what I'm looking for not quantity)
4. $500 or less
5. Detachable Cord, So I won't run into that problem again and also switching cord types is nice

Note: These will NOT be used for mixing or mastering

I have tried the HD650's and they were truly fantastic but the open back is a problem. However the comfort level was off the charts. It was so absolutely comfortable, if I can get closed backs with that level of comfort I will be loving life.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Sep 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 6
Denon D600

Also runs well without any of this dac/amp nonsense the kids are talkin bout.

Sep 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I like how you posted with such confidence! 

So I looked into these quite a bit and it seems like you may have just nailed it on the head.

Closed back - Check
Comfort - Check
Detachable Cord - Check
$500 Range - Check
Good for Hard Rock - We'll see but I'm pretty sure that will be a check by all of the reviews I read.

Thank you VERY much for your insanely quick and straight to the point response. I will let ya know how I make out!

Sep 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 6
I'd check out the Audio Technica ATH-A900x. I find Audio Technica over ears extremely comfortable. No detachable cord, easy to drive, excellent SQ, and can be found in the $200 range.

Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs also worth checking out, would benefit from an amp though. Not as comfy as the AT's.

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 6
  I like how you posted with such confidence! 

So I looked into these quite a bit and it seems like you may have just nailed it on the head.

Closed back - Check
Comfort - Check
Detachable Cord - Check
$500 Range - Check
Good for Hard Rock - We'll see but I'm pretty sure that will be a check by all of the reviews I read.

Thank you VERY much for your insanely quick and straight to the point response. I will let ya know how I make out!

Most of the negative reviews are about it's sound despite it's price. The price has changed and now they are where I feel they belong in the market. 

They are good cans, I'm happy about Denon changing the construction of their old rotating hanger style headphones. There were concernis about their durability to say the least.

Don't worry about an amp for those, they are indeed iphone/ipod friendly and if you buy from Amazon you can return anyway, making a rather risk-free purchase for you. That kind of money is a lot for gambling on reviews, but this stuff doesn't sell so well used so retail headphone sales are a bit tricky haha.

Let me know how you fare.

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 6
OK here it is,

I was impressed with the build quality and I love the braided cord. SUPER comfortable I've already put a 4 hour session on them with no pain and no hot ears... truly wonderful. They sound awesome and have spectacular bass. I just wanna walk around the house with them all day because there so damn comfy.

Thank you very much for guiding me to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back