My Mid- to High-fi Review: Denon D2000, HD650, AD700, DT770pro (56k Warning)
Feb 6, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #46 of 63
I would have ranked the HD650 very highly

Simply magical when paired up with the darkvoice 332

I would rank it first among the cans i own so far

1. HD650
2. DT990
3. MS2
4. DT770

The beyer are the '05 version though

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #47 of 63
Thanks for the review. However, the disappointment of HD650 reminds me that you have to feed it with a very good quality amplifier - not only the power, but the synergy with sound signature. In my experience, I had also very disappointed the sound from HD650 after I bought it, and connected with the Corda Opera. While in contrast, the DT880 sounds wonderful in same setup. However, one day after I bought my LISA III and gave HD650 a try. Oh no...I finally discovered what the best sound from the HD650.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #48 of 63
Unfortunately I don't think I like the dark presentation of the Senns. No amount of amping is going to fix that. Also I don't quite like the presentation of it. Going back and listening now it seems that its much more forward than any of my other cans. Personally I prefer an analytical sound, which is why I'm trying to upgrade my AT's. If I want a forward presentation I'll stick with my D2000.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I don't think I like the dark presentation of the Senns. No amount of amping is going to fix that. Also I don't quite like the presentation of it. Going back and listening now it seems that its much more forward than any of my other cans. Personally I prefer an analytical sound, which is why I'm trying to upgrade my AT's. If I want a forward presentation I'll stick with my D2000.

I tend to disagree on that, recabled with Zu out of GS-1 they are not darker than D2000. It was a while when I compared two, but the reason I got rid of D2000 originally was because HD650 sounded like a better, more refined, and detailed version of Denons. But the signature was very similar on two.

May 21, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #50 of 63
Hi guys,

I appreciate that this thread has died down for a few months. So I will probably start another thread on the main as well (in case people dont see the thread here). I am in the market for a new set of headphones. The main usage that I will get from these phones is public transport, to and from work through an mp3 player.

This being the case I need to know the following about the D2000, AD700, DT770pro:

1) How loud is the sound that each of these phones output UNAMPED from a portable mp3 device, for reference lets assume an ipod. Will the experience be enjoyable with out an amp realtive to the standard ear buds that come with the ipod?

I hear that the AD700 sound pretty good and loud unamped, though the beyers need to be amped from a portable or dont bother. Keep in mind that I most interested in the Denon, so how does that perform unamped from a portable? Will the sound be louder than the cheap pair of buds that comes with the ipods, and if so much louder?

2) Now my main usage will be sitting on public transport with say a work breif case / back pack. I dont intend to really walk around town with these phones as I like to hear the traffic around me. How portable are these phones? Is it practical to use any of them while walking? Assuming that I am only sitting down; are they any more practical or are all these phones really for home usage only.

I realise the cords are long in these phones, is this a major problem? The orignal poster talked of recabling the denons, is this simply a matter of buying a new cord that plugs into the phones, or do you have to reterminate cable wire, etc - i.e. its quite an involved process that probably voids the warranty.

3) I am more interested in the denons and beyers as I understand them to be closed, so for public transport this is more convenient as it tends to keep the sound in the cups. How loud are open cans really for those in close proximaty? How well do the denon and beyer closed phones keep the sound within the cup. Keep in mind that I am talking of unamped usage. Will they be easily heard on a airplane flight to the point of complaints, or only very mildly, or not at all?

4) Keep in mind that these phones will double up as home phones as well for when I travel abroad and board with others; so im very fussy about getting a pair with audophile level sound quality that can play on a portable unamped. I dont like ear buds at all, so I am only interested in getting cuped head phones. of course comfort is also important as well as loudness, sound quality and noise isolation (so i dont disturb others). If you feel that the above phones are way too impractical for portable usage, or simply need amp to get any decent volume, then can you make any recommendations of phones with the above requirements.

If anyone who has the above phones could also test these phones unamped with a mp3 player and compare this to say cheapish ear buds and give some feedback that would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys, you all seem to know your stuff pretty well.

cheers

Kishan

May 21, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #51 of 63
I can answer one of your questions - maybe.

If the Denon D2000 is anything like its brother the D5000, the Denons, although closed, do not isolate very well. They isolate better than open designs, but not as well as other closed headphones. Other posters seem to agree. The Denons' loose pads, while comfy, leak sound.

The DT770 Pro seals supremely well. Perhaps as well or better than any other closed-cup headphones. This includes both incoming and outgoing sounds.

How much will others be bothered by an open phone? It probably depends upon how loudly you like to listen. And upon your music choices!
eek.gif

May 22, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #52 of 63
greggf,

Cheers for this. From what you say I think maybe it should be fine. A little leakage should be tolerated, maybe the only time people will complain is on a long flight if people are trying to sleep.

in any case i can lower the vollume should this be a problem. The issue i have with the 770 is purely that you need an amp with it. If anyone knows of a super portable amp (much the size of a battery or two), that will make this amp function quite loud and well even if not to its best potential, please enlighten me. As this will change my criteria quite dramatically. I can live with a small portable amp that is not much larger than say the battery compartment of noise cancellation speakers

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #53 of 63
Can I get a photo of the ATH-AD700 and the D2000 (the earcup part) side by side to compare size? Pretty please?
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I get a photo of the ATH-AD700 and the D2000 (the earcup part) side by side to compare size? Pretty please?
biggrin.gif

Without looking right now (can't look, and my D2000 are woodied so not really fair) the stock cups on the D2000 are slightly bigger, I think. But it's fairly close, and not enough to really make a difference. The A900 are lighter, I think. Sorry to be so un-helpful.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #55 of 63
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to review the cans, HeadphoneAddict. Very interesting conclusions and musings all round. If I may add a little something to the proceedings; I have both a set of the HD 650s and some of the cheaper Denons, the AH-D1000s and I can certainly relate to some of what has been written in the thread. My own findings are that the 650s definitely need a full sized headamp and basically give far from their best with my own Corda 2Move, which I am otherwise extremely happy with. The Denons, however, truly sing with this little gem of an amp! Their tonal balance sounds very similar to the D2000s, probably a bit less refined, they certainly have some mid-bass colouration though and remarkable as it may seem, the slightly u-shaped frequency response of these cans is flattened out some by being used with the 2Move, adding extension to both ends of the spectrum. This amp/headphone combo sounds simply amazing with my FrankenZero DAC/amp ahead of it! The Denons really rock here, have openness and space you'd never thought they would manage and sound far superior with the 2Move than they do even on the modified Zero's amp, where they are a tad muted and thickened in comparison - the bass hump becomes more noticeable and the treble a little peaky.
With the 650s, I have found they have come alive when used with an amp of good power, in my case, my highly modified (Frankenized
smily_headphones1.gif
) KHA II. They are capable of gobs of tight and deep punchy bass and quite extraordinary detail in the mids and top end and a large open soundstage, depending on the music source, of course. Yes, I can see how a description of 'dark' may apply, they are not brightly as lit as some cans are, Grados are a fine example, yet they disguise nothing with it. I have been stunned speechless far too many times to find it a flaw. They communicate 'as-a-piece' both in sound balance and emotionally, probably their finest attribute for me. Mine took many more hours than 50 to break in, more like 250+ before they really treated me.
smily_headphones1.gif
They have become even crisper and tauter in the bass when my Plinius IIC pre-amp finally started to burn in after it's Nichicon/Black Gate and PIO cap rebuild. The bass is fully capable of plummeting to the deepest depths with see-through transparency the whole way, with effortless power, superb timing and a remarkably even and open top end at the same time. It's taken quite some time to reach this level though and I guess the point is made that they require far more than a portable amp to give of their best. They sound rather anaemic through the 2Move, though certainly clear. I wanted them to sound good through that delightful little amp, but the Denons cream them here and I love 'em!
I am now rather curious to hear what the D2000s might sound like with the 2Move and Frankie (the FrankenZero) on the front end.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if that same 'trick' with the bass might happen there too? With the 1000s it was as if the whole frequency spectrum had been pulled tighter, if you get my drift, the amount of extra high frequency detail is just extraordinary and smooth with it. You can still hear the slightly thick colouration, yet it seems to have much less of an effect on the music, while adding lower bass punch and tautness at the same time. Brilliant, really.
Hey, I hope I haven't bored any one here and added at least something to the mix, it's terrific that people take the time to do these comparisons, heck, it was Skylab's comprehensive portable headamp review that led me to the 2Move in the first place and I haven't regretted it for a second!!!
biggrin.gif

Cheers all, S-Man

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to disagree on that, recabled with Zu out of GS-1 they are not darker than D2000. It was a while when I compared two, but the reason I got rid of D2000 originally was because HD650 sounded like a better, more refined, and detailed version of Denons. But the signature was very similar on two.

I agree in someways the signature of the Denon is like a closed Sennheiser.

It's interesting that I still have your old D2000 after over a year, after you sold them to nfusion770 who sold them to PerterDLai and then to me. I thought the sound of the HD650 was slightly more detailed but also a little more dull and 2D than with the HD600 or D2000 - and with the Lawton Audio wood cups and APS V2 cable with balanced plugs I like the D2000 just a little more than HD600 too, but not enough to get rid of my HD600 which are also sounding great balanced.

The D2000 with SE adapter are also much easier to drive with portable amps than the HD600/650, so I don't always have to plug my laptop into my home rig but can use a DAC/amp like Predator, 2MOVE, Pico and get sound very close to a desktop amp.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #57 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sennsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to review the cans, HeadphoneAddict. Very interesting conclusions and musings all round.
[snip]
Cheers all, S-Man

Sorry, it wasn't me that reviewed all the cans here, although I have done many reviews.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with Skylab here, and the OP - I'd take the DT770 over the HD650 (but I like the HD600!).

I still have to defend the HD650 here. I've owned the DT770 and sold it immediately once I recieved my Little Dot III to power the HD650. The difference between the LDIII and my other amp (basically a very old yamaha reciever, did give some power though) was huge. After being properly amplified the HD650 are a completely different beast. Mine are also recabled with Zu mobius v2 and I have to repeat that I just don't see any competition between the 650 and the 770. Before proper amplification the difference was much much smaller.

I think this thread is giving a very strong negative view of the hd-650.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, it wasn't me that reviewed all the cans here, although I have done many reviews.

Oops, my apologies to johnanderson! It was late when I wrote that, all credit to you.
redface.gif

Yes, I remember HeadphoneAddict, I enjoyed them too and found them most informative.

S-Man

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #60 of 63
Old, but interesting read, nice comparisons between my current phones and the d2000s I am considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back