My Message to Apple....
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #76 of 110
I would be happy with direct audio via USB (dock connector -> USB-B -> DAC).
Using a Pure i-20 dock for digital sound to my DAC, the only way to have good sound with my iPhone (or via the AirPort Express, but the APEx haves no clock -> a lot of jitter).

On the go I use the line out of the iPhone to a portable amp, decent enough for me because in my case: on the go =/= serious listening.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #80 of 110

Quote:
ive decided i really like apple hardware but their software and os's i hate

Really? I have nothing against either Apple's software or hardware, and I don't begrudge them their superior marketing strategy. Though I'm an Android fanboy, I'm not anti-Apple or anything, not really; I just say that I am because the idiocy of people who believe that the iPhone (generation irrelevant) is always the best phone around, and that the iPad, the Macbook, and the plain old Mac are the best purchases in their respective niches, grates on my nerves.

Their products have a huge premium, and they discourage individuality, but apart from that, they're actually okay. Just "okay".

Mar 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #81 of 110

Quote:
Really? I have nothing against either Apple's software or hardware, and I don't begrudge them their superior marketing strategy. Though I'm an Android fanboy, I'm not anti-Apple or anything, not really; I just say that I am because the idiocy of people who believe that the iPhone (generation irrelevant) is always the best phone around, and that the iPad, the Macbook, and the plain old Mac are the best purchases in their respective niches, grates on my nerves.

Their products have a huge premium, and they discourage individuality, but apart from that, they're actually okay. Just "okay".

i just cant stand the way stuff works, particularly on ios.  its wildly infurriating that i cant do basic things on an ipad that i can do so easily on android because apple doesnt want me to do things that way.  its my device i want to do what I want not what they want.  its what pretty much much makes me hate my ipad dispite it being fantastic hardware.

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #83 of 110

Quote:
i just cant stand the way stuff works, particularly on ios.  its wildly infurriating that i cant do basic things on an ipad that i can do so easily on android because apple doesnt want me to do things that way.  its my device i want to do what I want not what they want.  its what pretty much much makes me hate my ipad dispite it being fantastic hardware.

I'm the first one to write about the problems with Apple devices when they occur.  Just go see my iPad 3 anticipation thread.
Unfortunately, the new iPad is the only tablet with a display of its caliber, for now.  It is the most color accurate and precision display ever released and is outstanding when used with one of those $5 5-in-1 card reader (or if you choose the Apple branded $30 one which only reads two kinds).  So in the respect of being a photographers tool, it shines above any other.  Apple should start moving in the direction of OLED which is where the future lies, but they know it doesn't have accurate color yet, it's still too saturated.

You will have your choice of high-res Windows 8 tablets soon though, as they will have a 10.1" model at 2560x1440 at 291 ppi which obviously beats the iPad's 264 ppi display.  I don't know who will be making it, but it is on a Windows 8 graph.

Aside from the major battery/charging issues that the new iPad is plagued with, the one gripe I really have with iOS devices is the 0.3MP camera on the front.  There is absolutely NO REASON for Apple to not upgrade that camera.  VGA resolution is 80's technology.  I have a 2048x1536 display, I don't want to be FaceTiming with someone at 640x480.  It's pathetic and Apple needs to spend the extra few dollars to upgrade it.  Then they can give people the software option of whether or not they want to use it high-res or not, bandwidth permitting.

The 16, 32, and 64GB storage options are getting kind of old already too.  It's time for 64, 128, and 256.  We live in a world now where 2 and 3 TB hard drives are common.  The very least they could do with solid state storage is move it up a little.  They have a 160GB iPod Classic but only a 64GB max iPhone and iPad?  It makes no sense.  Maybe people rely too much on iCloud or offloading their data when they get home, but we shouldn't be forced to have to do that.  Make your 16, 32, and 64GB for the people who want them, but at least allow a factory upgradable option to more storage for those who want it and are willing to pay for it.  I wasn't willing to pay more than the 32GB 4G version, because it is not my primary music device.  My home system is.  However if the iPad had an optical output and more storage capability, it would make one hell of a transport.  (Well, maybe it wouldn't since the new iPad uses power faster than the charger can replenish it, so it would die on you.)  The MacBook Pro has a charger with 4 times the amount of power output as the MacBook actually uses, but the iPad 3 comes with a charger that supplies less power than it uses at full brightness.

Lately Apple is on a trend --- of moving as far backwards technologically as they are forward.  That said, I have several iDevices, and I love the interface.  But don't kid yourself Apple fanboys, they do crash and have the same instability problems as other devices out there.  As far as I know though, no company other than Apple was yet foolish enough to supply a battery and charger that can't keep up with maximum power draw.  A 70% larger battery than the iPad 2, yet it draws twice as much power... who's doing the math over at Apple engineering?  A little PCB re-design wouldn't have killed you either; moving the processor to the center of the left side instead of the bottom so that your hands wouldn't be holding the hot part in either orientation.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #84 of 110

Quote:
I don't really hate Apple stuffs (actually really like the Touch), but it's the attitude of their users/fanboys that makes me stay away from their products.

Which is basically what I just said, minus the pompous language :p

EDIT:
Sorry, kinda sounded as if I was talking you down. 5AM here, so please cut me some slack T_T
Either way, I'd intended to do nothing more than point out the fact that you share the same sentiments, and that I appreciate it that someone else has gone past being a blind hater/basher and moved on to being able to compromise with both parties.

I realize that no one's called me out yet, but I like to be proactive in defusing arguments, so yeah.

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #85 of 110

Quote:

Then there's no reason for you to rag on iOS, right? I mean, if you don't like it, then just don't use it. There's enough hate going on without dragging phone OSes into the fray :/

Still, I agree. Short of jailbreaking an iDevice, there's no way to send/receive files via Bluetooth, use the iDevice as a USB flash drive (a function that my i9000 utilizes very often, much to the chagrin of my anti-virus software XD), or sync to a PC without iTunes. I can live with a lot of restrictions, but those I mentioned above just miff me.

Also, I have to admit that the App Store is pretty damn awesome, though I still wish everything'd get ported to the Android Market :))

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #86 of 110

Quote:
Short of jailbreaking an iDevice, there's no way to send/receive files via Bluetooth, use the iDevice as a USB flash drive (a function that my i9000 utilizes very often, much to the chagrin of my anti-virus software XD)

You certainly can plug your iDevice into your computer and use it as a flash drive by keeping your files in the photo folder.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #88 of 110
I've wondered the same thing. Apple threw a 1080p FaceTime camera on the MacBooks was hoping it would be on the 4s, it's not. I hate front facing camera. It is not smooth, sucks in low light, and makes the littlest imperfection on your face look like puke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back