my maxima vanity thread
Jun 1, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
My thoughts exactly when I saw the original post.

< i had stuff to say here, but i'll be respectful of head-fi and let this joker
have the last laugh i guess. peace to you jeff.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
C'mon, mjg - the humor was there, if a bit translucent. Your avatar is of Chris Farley, complete with a sig from Tommy Boy "Tommy likey; Tommy want wingey." I have no doubt that Jeff was commenting on your sometimes oddball comments, but he tried to inject some humor!
smily_headphones1.gif
That's a handsome Maxima, by the way; I owned a 1990 Max until it died with over 200K on her, and my grandpa currently drives a 2002 Maxima SE fully loaded. Meanwhile I'm enjoying my little RSX but I miss the low-end growl of the Nissan V6.

Well i don't take it that way, but it's dropped now. I won't say anything more about it even if he does...

Sweet, your grandpa has the same car as me apparantly : ]
I remember seeing the thread about your RSX, congrats on the new car man : ]

You should hear the growl on this thing... It's got intake, headers, exhaust,
i've done the flywheel, clutch, oem limited slip diff, full suspension (eibach pro, kyb agx adjustables) energy suspension poly urethane bushings are going in... So far we got the front end pretty much setup, and i'm putting in this lower tie bar
very soon... I have the full complement of stabalizers too RSB and tower brace, definatley want to autocross this thing soon : ]

Yea you guys are thinking this:
yea, yea it's a fwd car. I can slam this thing through the gears like it aint a thing, it's good for a high 13 in the quarter mile, and handles pretty damn good for a fwd car with a torsion beam in the back. Over-all great package, and a sleeper. I can give a 350z or G35 a run for the money no problem, though the cars are the rwd brothers and have some other advantages as well (ecu and intake manifold, more aggressive cams too)

Thanks for the compliment btw.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 34
Gotta love the way black cars shine after a nice washing/detailing eh? I have a black car too and recently used claybar/rubbing compound/polish/wax and it looks just like a mirror like yours.

gj on the work man

-ivan

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyevancsu
Gotta love the way black cars shine after a nice washing/detailing eh? I have a black car too and recently used claybar/rubbing compound/polish/wax and it looks just like a mirror like yours.

gj on the work man

-ivan

Hey ivan, yea black is a pain! Yet when black looks good... it looks DAMN good!
I didn't clay this time, i do claybar once a year... I skipped the step the finish didn't really demand it this time.

What type of car is it? Post us some pictures, let us share the attention hehe.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 34
Hey, the car looks great, and you have every reason to be proud of it. Anyone whose done a full detail, especially on a dark finish, can appreciate the work that went into it. I just wish I still had that kind of stamina.

You got any plans for next weekend? I've got this Avalon . . .
biggrin.gif

Regards,

BW

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Hey, the car looks great, and you have every reason to be proud of it. Anyone whose done a full detail, especially on a dark finish, can appreciate the work that went into it. I just wish I still had that kind of stamina.

You got any plans for next weekend? I've got this Avalon . . .
biggrin.gif

Regards,

BW

Thanks bill, i am damn proud!!

Sure ship it over to new york, i'll take care of ya : ]

Here is a brief description of what this car has on it's finish.

First and foremost, nothing but microfiber polishing, buffing, washing mitts, and drying clothes touch my car! I use viper stuff... It's high quality and not ever a scratch... It lasts as well (have had these for a few summers)

I use medernza polishes: Intensive polish compounded on very heavy...
I use a porter cable orbital, i haven't worked up to a rotary yet, though i don't think i'm in a rush here, i'm satisfied with an orbital's results with a lot of TLC...

Next i use their final polish II, specially for darker colored cars.. This i don't apply as much as intensive, only one general coat on all panels and painted plastic parts on the outside. On hard to reach or weird angles i do apply by hand of course.

btw, i do only a panel at a time, and i use the orange polishing wheels properautocare sells, these things are great! Really get the stuff rubbed in.

Now after this is done and i'm partially numb in the right hand from this thing vibrating for about 3-3.5 hours , and i'm satisfied the products are all applied and not built up anywhere, i make sure to let the car dry off for a bit in the sun, since i do all of this work in the garage.

Now that i'm done with acrylic stuff, i move onto caranuba wax to finish it off. For a base i do atleast 2 coats of caranuba first detailing, then i procede to add coats whenever i feel like it, though atleast every 2 weeks. This keeps the car looking wet always.

The caranuba i used here was ps21s. I did 2 coats. I then put on some pinaccle souveran to top it off, which is really expensive stuff (70 bux a jar actually) and i do this on the main panels, e.g the Hood, upper portions of the doors, rear quarter panel... I don't use this stuff liberally at all, it's not necessary anyways..

Anyways that's it. This can be done in anywhere from 5-7 hours depending on if you do claybar in the begning, and with these products no hazing is required (like when you use zaino stuff... that's a pita)

Paint prep is the hardest work, making sure there is nothing imbedded in the paint, it impedes the products from asorbing, and once you start layering the stuff in it won't go as deep, it won't shine as well. The end result to a proper
job is what you see there, i gotta admit i get silly with the waxing step, but man if you saw this in person, it looks like your staring a mirror, seeing the house reflect off the finish is just jaw dropping, everywhere i have people gawking at the car, even people driving exotics can appreciate this kind of work... This is the labor of love, for the next week i make sure to park away from any trees or cars, and i'll take up 2 damn spaces if i have to!! : ]

Jun 1, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #22 of 34
I apologize if you took any offense at my jokes. You did not specify in the initial post the work you had done on your car, and the photos you took of your car don't look materially different from any other washed car. Hence, my jokes.

To me, jokes aren't really funny unless they have at least a drop of acid in them (and Neil Peart's analysis of translusence is apt), so I have come to understand that in print, the jokes I make can easily be taken in the wrong context.

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
me and jeff talked it out guys, he didn't have to publicize the matter, but in response it's squashed and i respect the apology. I'm sorry to.

The funny part was in trying to figure out if he was serious or not (the acid as he called it). FWIW, nice car, and great job at detailing it. Enthusiasm for all things, big or small, is the mark of commitment to the life force within you. Or as they say in Jamaica, "Nuff respect!"

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
The funny part was in trying to figure out if he was serious or not (the acid as he called it). FWIW, nice car, and great job at detailing it. Enthusiasm for all things, big or small, is the mark of commitment to the life force within you. Or as they say in Jamaica, "Nuff respect!"

acid?!? venom?!?!? Looks like I will have to don one of those radioactive protections suits.

Sarcasm is wasted on me, we can't afford that kind of humour here. Just slapstick.

MJG> THat sure is a pretty car. I tip my hat off to you for all the hard work you done. Just out of interest what's the fuel consumption of it with all the mods done?

Jun 1, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
acid?!? venom?!?!? Looks like I will have to don one of those radioactive protections suits.

Sarcasm is wasted on me, we can't afford that kind of humour here. Just slapstick.

MJG> THat sure is a pretty car. I tip my hat off to you for all the hard work you done. Just out of interest what's the fuel consumption of it with all the mods done?

Thanks on all the compliments guys. You know i love being complimented hahaha... Flattery rocks.

You know something, i got no idea what the fuel consumption is, this time of year i cruise all over the place, i can guzzle a tank in a weekend from just going all over the place (all the way to staten island, back to my parents place in nassau, then waaay back down to port jeff) The total distance is probablly almost 200 miles, One tank didn't cut it especially since i love to go WOT nearly everywhere... Car loves to be downshifted when passing pesky drivers on the highway ; ).

The mods don't really change fuel consumption, yet my habit in driving shapes it the most. The drive line mods make me rev happy ... Probablly 8-15 mpg the way i drive lately... If i drove like a grandma, 20-25 mpg idealisticly. Nissan reports 28 mpg from the factory.

Jun 1, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #28 of 34
my wife has got the same car, except I put some 17 inch Racing Heart C2's and droped it about 1" and half. Also put an exhaust system (that I wish I didnt, its too loud). Hehe, and I was gonna just say "my wife has a car like that" except I didnt want to get the WWF treatment.
icon10.gif

By the way, that was a LOT of work you put into that paint. Should look like an oil slick driving down the road at night.

Jun 1, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 34
Looks good mjg, how about pics of the inside....or are we gonna find dozens of Wendy's burger wrappers and french fry boxes?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back