My LOD (line out dock) kills my iPod's sound
Mar 25, 2008 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I wanted to try a LOD, so I bought this one sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IPOD-LINE-OUT-DO...QQcmdZViewItem

When I received it, my initial impression out of my ipod was that it sort of killed a lot of the ambient material in records, rolled off the highs (alot) and compressed the soundstage. It's kind of been bugging me, so today I hooked it up to my stereo (which I've fine tuned so many times, I know it's sound exactly) and confirmed that this LOD is just throwing my soundstage all out of whack (compressing it and throwing it off balance) and basically killing clean separation and a lot of detail. So, my question is, I've seen the guts of these from pics of some guys DYI projects and there's basically nothing inside them but two wires. How could this LOD be screwing up my sound so badly?

Mar 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 26
Beats me, but I can tell you that every LOD I ever tried didn't do that (or anything at all) to the sound of my system. Could be the materials the maker used. Then again, we head-fiers apparantly can't tell the difference between a coat hanger and jumbo cryo, so maybe the maker used twisted up tin foil or something if its that bad.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 26
what amp are you using with it?

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 26
i have the same one and it works wonderfully, for 12 bucks it might not be worth the price of shipping to send it back

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 26
Yes, it's puzzling and not worth the trip back to HK. Now i guess I'll try to find another one to compare it to.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 26
Is it possible to pry it open or take it apart at all or do you have links to peoples' DIY projects where they've taken this apart?

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to try a LOD, so I bought this one sold on ebay.

IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH STEREO JACK(BLACK VER.2)W/CABLE - eBay (item 290216482039 end time Mar-28-08 20:07:18 PDT)

When I received it, my initial impression out of my ipod was that it sort of killed a lot of the ambient material in records, rolled off the highs (alot) and compressed the soundstage. It's kind of been bugging me, so today I hooked it up to my stereo (which I've fine tuned so many times, I know it's sound exactly) and confirmed that this LOD is just throwing my soundstage all out of whack (compressing it and throwing it off balance) and basically killing clean separation and a lot of detail. So, my question is, I've seen the guts of these from pics of some guys DYI projects and there's basically nothing inside them but two wires. How could this LOD be screwing up my sound so badly?

Hi, do you have try to connect to other system (e.g.: portable headphone amp....)? If this dock have same problem, I can send the new dock to you for replace.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by awwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, do you have try to connect to other system (e.g.: portable headphone amp....)? If this dock have same problem, I can send the new dock to you for replace.

My ! Do not know that that man I bought the 75ohm adapter is also here
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen the guts of these from pics of some guys DYI projects and there's basically nothing inside them but two wires. How could this LOD be screwing up my sound so badly?

Maybe he has a bit of solder that is breaching the two pins inside. I made my own dock cable and i had ther same problem and i didnt notice the solder was actually across two pins even though i checked it. Has he definitely got the right two pins? There's about 30 inside.

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ! Do not know that that man I bought the 75ohm adapter is also here
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi, I am here. the resistor adaptor is good?

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Ok when i first read this thread, i didnt quite believe chadbang.

Now that i have ordered this exact same LOD, im having pretty much the same problems chadbang had described. Ive even tried it on an itouch to make sure its not my 4G's problem.

As for amp, im using a pa2v2. I know its not the amps problem because it sounds great even using the headphone jack as output.

So whats the next "most affordable" LOD on the market? Any recomendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back