My little doggy is dying...
Mar 5, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 43
We lost one of our dogs (my first) Guinness almost a year ago. I know how you feel and it sucks. Guinness was a big part of our family and he is missed. Just keep remembering all the good times you shared.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh

Its also interesting to note that my dog died on the same day he was born, March 4, 1998. God, please take care of my dog in heaven.

There has to be some meaning to this...........my thoughts are with you.

The Rainbow Bridge
Inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over…. together.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #18 of 43
I too have lost a pet in the past.

I still remember the first time Saigon (my Pomeranian) spent the night without his mother. We took him home with us and, as we didn't have a sizeable lawn or kennel for him to sleep in, he was placed in a shoebox in the corner of my bedroom. He was a pup at the time, and I was 9.

The whole night he was whimpering and making small yelps. I resolved to get out of bed, set up my blankets and pillows on the floor beside him, and to sleep alongside him. He was a tiny fella, but he managed to get out of the box and make his way to my side. He slept without a fuss. Needless to say, I instantly fell in love with him.

Two years ago, he suffered from a diabetic attack much like your dog's, and had to be put to sleep. For a tiny dog, he had a tremendously big heart. I still miss him dearly.

Shortly after his death, I stumbled across a poem on a message board that helped me deal with my grievance. It follows:

Quote:

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like Mother of Pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there." The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, and then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's Hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use heaven's name like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

I hope it helps you get through your pain.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ootput
Shortly after his death, I stumbled across a poem on a message board that helped me deal with my grievance. It follows:

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

LOL, this is the best pet joke I've heard yet.

It reminds me of when I was shopping for a condo, and one condo I was in escrow with, the seller lied when they said that dogs were allowed by the HOA, in hopes I would just "get rid of" the dog. I told them to go ****** themselves and the deal was off.

-Ed

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #22 of 43
Terrible news
frown.gif
I remember how I felt when Muttley had to be put to sleep, absolutely awful and there's not a day goes by where I don't miss the wee man. It wouldn't have been fair letting him carry on the way he was and you've done the right thing putting him to sleep, he's now happy and at peace nothing can harm him now. Have a good cry, it'll do you the world of good.

Mike.

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #27 of 43
I know exactly where you're coming from. I had to put my dog down about 10 months ago. It was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do. Weird thing was that I think he knew he was already dying. In his last few weeks he would barely eat, or move around. Time heals all wounds...that's all I can say. Obviously I still miss my dog, and I havent thought about getting another one yet, but just try to remember the good times...sorry for your loss.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 43
Here is a picture of him a couple of months before he died

Its really sad how he died so young. A lot of dogs live till they're 15 or 16...

Its relieving to know he died calm and peacefully and happy...

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #29 of 43
Yeah, probably better that way. The second Boston Terrier my family had lived to about 14-15 but we think she had cancer near the end - had a few tumors including an open one on her leg. She just sort of lingered a while and wasn't really able to get around or do much besides lay around or sleep. We finally had to have her put to sleep because she obviously wasn't getting any better. Much worse to have to watch that than if they go quickly but peacefully, even if that can be more of a shock because you didn't expect it.

EDIT: Yours was a good looking guy, really good markings on his face
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #30 of 43
I lost my cat Penelope last summer (a very close pet) at age 6 or 7...

pene3.jpg

It wasn't unexpected as she had heart disease, and she passed away very suddenly with probably no suffering. It's always tough though... my heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

Try not to blame yourself; there's *always* something we could have done better, so focus on all the things I'm sure you did right instead (works for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back