My little doggy is dying...
Mar 5, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec
EDIT: Yours was a good looking guy, really good markings on his face
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I handpicked him too...

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #32 of 43
When my dog "Molly" died three years ago, a friend sent me this and I found it to be comforting...I hope it helps you a little...

A DOG'S PRAYER

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements, and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest... and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

by Beth Harris

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #33 of 43
The thing I find sad, is that although I can get another Boston Terrier, none of them will be like my Shawhei. None of them will be as loyal, liveley, and excited as Shawhei, and I won't be able to see him again!

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #34 of 43
No, but you can appreciate the things that make your next dog special and a good friend as well. But I don't think I'd rush right out and get one either, you should probably take a little time to get over Shawhei and make sure you really want another dog (and all the things that come with having a new puppy).

Sparky, the bestest pal you could ask for:
dog.JPG

And Lucky, the new little pipsqueak, I helped pick her out but don't get to see her much since I moved away and she stayed with my folks:
lnice.jpg

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
The thing I find sad, is that although I can get another Boston Terrier, none of them will be like my Shawhei. None of them will be as loyal, liveley, and excited as Shawhei, and I won't be able to see him again!

No, but your new dog will have his or her special traits that make you love it too. And my wife and I always see little bits of personality of our old dogs show in our new ones, reminding us always of the good times with them. As if our departed friends are showing the new one the way.

Give yourself some time, but definitely consider getting another dog. Though it's hard when they have to leave us, the time they spend with us is truly the best.

Mike

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #37 of 43
I'm going through a very similar situation right now. One of my dogs, the one I've had for the longest (since I was 5 years old), is dying of cancer. At the very most, he has another 2 weeks to live. It's terrible, because he's acting like his usual self, but very soon will come the day that I have to put him to sleep. I've lost dogs before, but it's never been as hard as this.

My heart goes out to all who have lost someone that they love.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I'm going through a very similar situation right now. One of my dogs, the one I've had for the longest (since I was 5 years old), is dying of cancer. At the very most, he has another 2 weeks to live. It's terrible, because he's acting like his usual self, but very soon will come the day that I have to put him to sleep. I've lost dogs before, but it's never been as hard as this.

My heart goes out to all who have lost someone that they love.

I'm sorry.... My dog just died under 48 hours ago and I'm still feeling miserable, don't feel like doing any homework... Please give us an update...

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #39 of 43
I'm very sorry for your loss, I know you are in a lot of pain right now.
Do not regret that you didn't spend more time playing with your dog, for him,
the best time of all is the times he sat at your side and did absolutely nothing.
He is at peace now.Take comfort in that.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #40 of 43
I'm so sorry for your dog.
Dogs love unconditionally.
They are best friends.
I too had and have problems and pets dying, but it's another theme.
I'm sure you'll find another dog - another character.
When my dog Roco got hit by a car and died my father got a female dachshund the next day -
I wasn't going to love her. But... She was my companion for 12 years and I still think fondly
of her - her daughter is with me now.
So when you feel well get another dog - maybe from the dog shelter.

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #42 of 43
Ok. Its been a week since my dog died, and my life has gone back to normal. I no longer cry for him every night (I did during the first three nights), but I still think about him every day. I just try to go through my day not to think of him, and just pretend hes on a really long vacation...

Mar 11, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Ok. Its been a week since my dog died, and my life has gone back to normal. I no longer cry for him every night (I did during the first three nights), but I still think about him every day. I just try to go through my day not to think of him, and just pretend hes on a really long vacation...

Well, in my opinion I think it's good that you remember him and I think you shouldn't try not to. Eventually you'll be able to deal better with your memories of him and just be thankfull for the great times you've spent together. However, every person deals with grief in different ways, so I just wish that you can deal with it in the way that causes you less pain ...

Hang in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back