My Last Hope in Headphones
Jan 20, 2007 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
Well after about a year on this headphone road, I have come and gone through many many headphones and amps have stumbled upon some great sounds, such as the grado, senn, and the beyer house sounds. However, I've yet to find a headphone/amp combo that didn't leave me with my ears plauged with ringing, and consequently, I would have to take two days break before I can listen to headphones again (maybe with the expecption of the HD595, but those didn't engage me at all) Mind you, this is at low to moderate volumes. So, after reading tons and tons of threads, I've decided that it was my extreme sensitivity to high frequencies that made my ears bleed. Now I've ordered a pair of HD650 due to all the ravings about the soft high end, if that headphone dosn't do the trick then sadly I have no future in the headphone world : ( Also look out for all my gear to be on the for sale thread if that is the case
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 14
I think you could easily solve the problem of your high frequency sensitivity with an HD650 rig. I've read so much about it having, like you said, "soft" treble (and the infamous "veil"). You can even combine the HD650 with a very lush, dark tube amp if that doesn't solve the problem. If that still doesn't solve the problem, you can change to a lush, dark tube source. And if that still doesn't solve the problem, you can always just EQ.

I believe there are enough products out there that you can almost always take care of high frequency sensitivity. Have you tried EQ'ing already?

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 14
The Sennheiser should be a good fit. If not, you might want to EQ or maybe build a low-pass filter to kill the highs. You could probably put one together for $10 or less, unless you want boutique parts.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there are enough products out there that you can almost always take care of high frequency sensitivity. Have you tried EQ'ing already?

Yes I've done eq'ing on my HD580s and DT880s, I cut down the 12khz and the 16khz by about 5 dbs and when I do that in conjunction with a 30 minute listening session, I could get away with no ringing in the ears. However, I would like to engage in tantric length headphone listening sessions. I hear the earmax pro is a very sweet and lush sounding amp, I would like to try that amp with the HD650s.

Does anyone know if soundstage has anything with fatigue and ears ringing? cause I find the wide soundstage of the DT880s to be more forgiving than the HD580s when it comes to ringing ears. I know this would contradict my previous statement of treble levels, but I find the DT880 to have pretty smooth highs, which is less grating on my ears even though there is more of it.

Idealy, I would like to find a rig that can come close to the soundstage of the DT880s with the soft high end presentation of the Sennheiser HD650s and a fast bass response. Would any tube amp/source combined with any of my aforementioned cans fit the description?
Thanks for the help

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 14
I have two other suggestions you can try.
Crossfeed: for some people it makes headphone listening a lot easier on their ears.
Ultrasone headphones: they are extremely easy to listen to, while still very "fun" and lively.

Take care of your hearing!

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 14
goorackerelite I'm confused by your profile (looked to see your associated equipment)...

Quote:

Headphone Inventory:
Sennheiser HD 580 (modded)
used to own... HD 600, HD 650 ...

So you've owned all the top Senns already?

Jan 20, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 14
if you want to listen to long periods of time with your "optimal" sounds... it might not be possible with your sensitive ears. just a thought/precaution.

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 14
i second this notion about the ultrasone headphones. they are indeed easy to listen to and packed with a well balanced diet of all the right ingredients that makes for a good listening session. man it's starting to sound like a cereal commercial
3000smile.gif
anyhoot, my 2 cents on senns is they shave off the top end so severely at times it's like a david lynch film. on the other hand grados exaggerate the top end it's like fire crackers on chinese new year (i mean no disrespect)
icon10.gif
i find the same with beyerdynamic, the top is too bright, which translates to fatigue and ringing and ultimately tinnitis. in this light, ultrasone is doing a good job with various technologies promoting health and the environment, and putting out excellent sounding headphones too.

Jan 20, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the HD650 fail to please, Dr. Dex prescribes the Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE as a surefire remedy for extreme high-end sensitivity.
hfi2200ulezr6.png

hey dr. dex, how to do you compre the proline 650 to the 2200 ULE? i'm on the verge on buying the HFI-2200 myself...but it's an open construction. wallet hesitates at the moment of truth
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Hog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey dr. dex, how to do you compre the proline 650 to the 2200 ULE? i'm on the verge on buying the HFI-2200 myself...but it's an open construction. wallet hesitates at the moment of truth
biggrin.gif

I guess it depends on what you're priorities are. The PROline 650 and HFI-2200 ULE are essentially closed/open variations on the exact same theme. As I've noted on more than one occasion, the HFI-2200 ULE should actually be called the PROline 2200; they were the very first PROlines, but introduced before Ultrasone named that range.

So if you're interested in some degree of isolation and portable usage, then go for the closed PROline 650. But if you're leaning toward the absolute best sound possible in a controlled home environment, then the HFI-2200s have an edge in that department, offering better bass extension and an airier soundstage consistent with their open-back design.

But whichever you choose, I'm confident that you will be thrilled by their performance!
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Just curious, any idea how loud you are listening?

Are you listening at 'live' levels, 100db+ ? If so, you won't make it for lengthy sessions at levels like that without at the minimum fatigue and likely actual hearing damage.

Long listening sessions require low levels, period.

I run across people in the cube farm at work with phones that isolate a *world* more than my DT880s and I can hear every note from 20' away. If you listen at levels like that, you will have problems no matter what equipment you use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back