My K1000 journey (a blog)
Jul 7, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #106 of 156
Delighted to see that you are giving the FirstWatt F1 a try with your AKG K1000s.

I have been using this combination (with the addition of the Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable) for about six months, and have found it to be the best sounding combination I have ever heard.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do, and that you will let us know your impressions.

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #107 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
26 pounds seems way light. The 30 and J that appear to use the same case weigh 35 pounds. I wonder how they got it so light.

Got the specs via phone from mark at Reno, so don't know (the 30 and J are voltage amps, so maybe the current amps just have less stuff inside???).

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #108 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmarshl
Delighted to see that you are giving the FirstWatt F1 a try with your AKG K1000s.

I have been using this combination (with the addition of the Stefan AudioArt Equinox cable) for about six months, and have found it to be the best sounding combination I have ever heard.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do, and that you will let us know your impressions.

I see balanced in your sig. Have you tried F1 both single-end and balanced?

Jul 7, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #109 of 156
Entirely possible. Maybe I need to pick one of those up for the collection as well. I look forward to hearing your review.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #110 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
I see balanced in your sig. Have you tried F1 both single-end and balanced?

Yes I have, and balanced is better!
k1000smile.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #111 of 156
Quote:

Could you please describe what difference the cable change made to the sound. I am really enjoying my K1000 (driven by a Unison Unico speaker amp), but I have the feeling that the cables are the weak link and I think they would enjoy a cable a bit warmer.
Did you get the Equinox hardwired or just the final part?

I hope I am not OT, but I believe Kent was contemplating the purchase of Equinox cables, so it should be interesting anyway.

Jul 7, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #112 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Could you please describe what difference the cable change made to the sound. I am really enjoying my K1000 (driven by a Unison Unico speaker amp), but I have the feeling that the cables are the weak link and I think they would enjoy a cable a bit warmer.

I hope I am not OT, but I believe Kent was contemplating the purchase of Equinox cables, so it should be interesting anyway.

I too am interested in the Equinox. But as of the F1, I'm way over budget, so anything like an Equinox is now a ways off.

BTW: If you notice, Nelson Pass makes a statement something to the effect that his current amps aren't affected by cables / connectors (eliminated capacitance issues???). Based on this statement, I'm hoping I can avoid this purchase??? Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear a hardwire on my rig at a meet.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #113 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

The difference I perceived by adding the hardwired Equinox cable to the K1000s was dramatic. My previous listening to the stock K1000s provided a lack of bass, overly bright high end, and even a tiny bit of sibilance. The result of the upgrade removed all of those complaints, and gave me a very smooth, transparent, balanced and musical presentation. Even the incredible sound-stage of the K1000s was improved. The listening is now effortless and totally engaging.
k1000smile.gif

Now my entire CD collection is revitalized by listening through this combination: with each selection I hear new surprising elements within the music that I had missed before - far more present and alive.

Here is another review of the Equinox and K1000:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stefa...2/k1000_2.html

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #114 of 156
Quote:

The difference I perceived by adding the hardwired Equinox cable to the K1000s was dramatic. My previous listening to the stock K1000s provided a lack of bass, overly bright high end, and even a tiny bit of sibilance. The result of the upgrade removed all of those complaints, and gave me a very smooth, transparent, balanced and musical presentation. Even the incredible sound-stage of the K1000s was improved. The listening is now effortless and totally engaging.
k1000smile.gif

Now my entire CD collection is revitalized by listening through this combination: with each selection I hear new surprising elements within the music that I had missed before - far more present and alive.

Here is another review of the Equinox and K1000:

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/stefa...2/k1000_2.html

Before and after for Equinox both on F1?

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #115 of 156
Quote:

Before and after for Equinox both on F1?

Correct
k1000smile.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #117 of 156
It is really a shame that this combination is so hard to assemble:

K1000s are discontinued;

Stefan AudioArt Equinox hardwire cable entails a 12 week wait;

Installing the Equinox cable on K1000s is a fearsome task, suitable only for professionals

The FirstWatt F1 assembly run of 100 units is finished - only refurbished F1s are available

But the good news is that it is worth all the trouble!
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Everytime I read tmarshl's glowing praise for the K1000/F1 setup it makes me want to try it more.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #118 of 156
Jul 11, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #119 of 156
Quote:

Just when I thought I had it all figured out (amps), 6moons posts a new review of the Signature 30. $1,400 integrated that apparently sounds great with K1000s??? Review... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine4/30.html

What an interesting review! I would love to hear your impressions. Here is what Sjaran said:

"For the now discontinued AKG K-1000 earspeakers, the Signature 30 shares the stage with the FirstWatt F1 current-source amp as an ideal partner. The latter's otherworldly control in this context is ultimately more resolved and accurate and would thus be the choice for a recording engineer. The 30 is warmer and slightly mellower to perfectly suit endless pleasure listening sessions."

I guess I prefer the additional resolution and accuracy of the F1.
k1000smile.gif

But I would love to try a Signature 30 too!

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #120 of 156
Quote:

What an interesting review! I would love to hear your impressions. Here is what Sjaran said:

"For the now discontinued AKG K-1000 earspeakers, the Signature 30 shares the stage with the FirstWatt F1 current-source amp as an ideal partner. The latter's otherworldly control in this context is ultimately more resolved and accurate and would thus be the choice for a recording engineer. The 30 is warmer and slightly mellower to perfectly suit endless pleasure listening sessions."

I guess I prefer the additional resolution and accuracy of the F1.
k1000smile.gif

But I would love to try a Signature 30 too!

In terms of value, the Signature 30 wins hand sdown (inclusion of a preamp, and Sig 30 drives conventional 2 or 3-way speakers -- something the F1 does not).

I'm still trying to decide what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back