My K1000 journey (a blog)
Aug 3, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #151 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
In otherwords, it would be nice to have it be a little more intimate and seductive with female vocals and other solo performers.

This is exactly my impression with the K1000 driven by my Unison Unico: Speed, detail and soundstage are excellent, the bass is very fast, under control and has a decent weight, but the mids are too cold and analytical for me.
At the last meeting we tried the K1000 driven by a Roksan Kaspian, but the combo was a bit bright.
I have been waiting for quite a while for a cable *feet neervously tapping on the floor* to connect the K1000 to my balanced Supra and see what happens.
So far they are exceptional with Bela Fleck and the Flektones, but for most of the rest I prefer my W5000 or the HD650 balanced. Don't get me wrong they are very good, but very similar to a speaker like eperience and in this regard I prefer my speaker rig. Compared to an headphone experience they lack intimacy, warmth and musicality.
I am waiting to see what happens with the balanced Supra

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #152 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
This is exactly my impression with the K1000 driven by my Unison Unico: Speed, detail and soundstage are excellent, the bass is very fast, under control and has a decent weight, but the mids are too cold and analytical for me.
At the last meeting we tried the K1000 driven by a Roksan Kaspian, but the combo was a bit bright.
I have been waiting for quite a while for a cable *feet neervously tapping on the floor* to connect the K1000 to my balanced Supra and see what happens.
So far they are exceptional with Bela Fleck and the Flektones, but for most of the rest I prefer my W5000 or the HD650 balanced. Don't get me wrong they are very good, but very similar to a speaker like eperience and in this regard I prefer my speaker rig. Compared to an headphone experience they lack intimacy, warmth and musicality.

If you can't wait, just use the stock extension and stick the cables in the holes, and make sure they make contact. No different technically than having the adapter, only the adapter will stay in there more easily, and probably be shorter.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #153 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
For some reason, that "long-term partner" wording makes me think your amp and headphones are shacking up.

Actually my K1000s and I believe in marriage. Witness the fact that most of my 2ch gear approaches the 10-year mark. Hopefully this is my last major endeavor to find the right combination for my headfi system.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #154 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic

I have an update to my earlier comment regarding F1’s need for a tube preamp...

Tonight I changed the internal gain switches on my Wadia to add 12 db, and it made a big difference (to the positive). My guess is that I was starving the F1 inputs with lack of sufficient input signal. [V-3 is 100 wpc, where the F1 is 10 wpc. This works out to be ~ 10 db less gain from the F1 when compared to the V-3, right?] Needless to say, future comments found in the new mini-blog will reflect this updated setting.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #155 of 156
Just received my cable to connect the K1000 in balanced mode to the Supra XLR, litterally one hour ago.
I am spinning the first CD: the latest Ron Sexsmith. Of course to soon to share impressions, but the thing that worries a bit is that in order to get the desired sound level I have to set the Opus 21 to the maximum and the Supra has to go to the upper limit as well.
I don't think this is a good sign. Should I get worried?
confused.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #156 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Just received my cable to connect the K1000 in balanced mode to the Supra XLR, litterally one hour ago.
I am spinning the first CD: the latest Ron Sexsmith. Of course to soon to share impressions, but the thing that worries a bit is that in order to get the desired sound level I have to set the Opus 21 to the maximum and the Supra has to go to the upper limit as well.
I don't think this is a good sign. Should I get worried?
confused.gif

Have you discussed K1000s with Singlepower to know what you should expect with this combo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back