My K1000 journey (a blog)
May 9, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
The 27th of THIS month? Man. If I can get a caravan together, I might just have to crash the party.

There's an active thread under meets... http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=175656&page=2

I'm really amazed at what I'm hearing. The sound is incredibly transparent, detailed and DYNAMIC!

May 9, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #32 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
I'm really amazed at what I'm hearing. The sound is incredibly transparent, detailed and DYNAMIC!

What you're hearing now without the sub, or with it?

May 9, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #33 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
What you're hearing now without the sub, or with it?

My statement refers to with the sub.
EDIT The statement still hold true without the sub. But in my mind I was thinking about the total system when I wrote this.

May 10, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #34 of 156
Worked with Pierre from Mapleshade Records to select a few tweaks. Pierre was very helpful in explaining the benefits of his products. And as he pointed out, “if you don’t hear an improvement in SQ, simply return the product for a refund”. So nothing ventured, nothing gained. He gave me permission to share his comments.

For the Wadia
Penultimate Triplepoint Footers (Set of 3 : $95 + shipping)
PTV3set.jpg

Heavyhat Vibe Killers (Set of 3 : $27 + shipping)
HHset.jpg

For the Sub Woofer
Threaded Thick Carpet-Piercing Heavyfoot (Set of 3 : $105 + shipping)
3/8” : 16 thread
TCPboth.jpg

Misc.
Ionoclast ($38.50 + shipping)
Micro-Smooth CD kit ($16.95 + shipping)
Extra Micro-Smooth Polishing Pads ($5.00 + shipping)

My Notes

Place footers at outer edges of equip – 2 under heavy end (start here, then experiment)
Place weights opposite of feet – with heavy weight opposite the single foot (start here, then experiment)
Use clear packing tape to protect triplepoint from scratching CDP
Mcirosmooth once and forget it
Zap CDs every few plays in dry weather
Zap cables - but only when disconnected from electronics
Clean contacts: Ink eariser, Flitz metal polish – then very thin layer of SilClear (can go over ProGold – do junction box too)
Zap cables every 6 mo.

I'm not sure I want to try Silclear -- but I do plan to buy ProGold from RadioShack

May 10, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #35 of 156
Tonight I moved the phones off my Ayre and onto a vintage NAD receiver for additional burn-in (my V-3 runs hot, so I wanted to give it a break!). I'm using loudness button and bass boost.

Assumng no sub, I think tone controls of some sort would be an advantage for K1000s (my Ayre / Wadia do not have tone controls).

May 11, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #37 of 156
Maybe the SAA recable will help your opinion of the K1000s without a sub. They did mention fuller bass as one of the changes.

May 11, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #38 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Maybe the SAA recable will help your opinion of the K1000s without a sub. They did mention fuller bass as one of the changes.

Right now I'm burning them in on an old NAD receiver, using loudness contour. From the NAD the bass is pretty full, even at moderate listening levels.

This makes my wonder if using BALANCED operation from a high-power solid-state amp may result in an overly tight bass presentation. I say this because balanced operation doubles the slew rate. And I have found with HD 650s, that bass is MUCH tighter when balanced (IMO this is a good thing with 650s). So I'm thinking the Ayre may be doing the same thing to K1000, which already have tight bass??? If this is the case, I could see why a number of headfiers like their tube amps with K1000s.

I also prefer to listen with ear speakers almost fully toed out. Some members report using a more toed-in setting to get fuller bass.

As far as SAA's cable, I hope it delivers additional warmth, without losing detail. And yes, a little bass boost will also be welcomed
k1000smile.gif

May 11, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #39 of 156
I find that I prefer them toed-in to the point where they are almost (but not quite) touching my ears. In this position I find that I have no complaints at all with bass presentation. I find that any more bass would be just a bit too much.

May 11, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #40 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Right now I'm burning them in on an old NAD receiver, using loudness contour. From the NAD the bass is pretty full, even at moderate listening levels.

This makes my wonder if using BALANCED operation from a high-power solid-state amp may result in an overly tight bass presentation. I say this because balanced operation doubles the slew rate. And I have found with HD 650s, that bass is MUCH tighter when balanced (IMO this is a good thing with 650s). So I'm thinking the Ayre may be doing the same thing to K1000, which already have tight bass??? If this is the case, I could see why a number of headfiers like their tube amps with K1000s.

I also prefer to listen with ear speakers almost fully toed out. Some members report using a more toed-in setting to get fuller bass.

As far as SAA's cable, I hope it delivers additional warmth, without losing detail. And yes, a little bass boost will also be welcomed
k1000smile.gif

For most music the 45 degree angle is my preference

May 13, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #41 of 156
I'm finding K1000s really excel at live recordings. Current favorites include:

Eric Clapton – Unplugged (Live)
Good room ambience. Pure and simple.

Mary Chapin Carpenter – Party Doll and Other Favorites
Song: Quittin’n Time (This cut is live)
Intimate vocals. Can hear reverberation roll through the concert hall.

Simon & Garfunkel – Old Friends
Track 10 – A Poem on the Underground Wall (This cut is live)
Ambience of a large auditorium. [Recorded in 1969]

Today, I ordered three more live recordings...

This one, which sounds like it will be a GREAT recording... http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=155834. As well as Diana Krall's "Live in Paris," and "Don Ellis Live at Fillmore." BTW: I signed up for Amazon's Visa card and got all three for about $14.

Still doing time without the sub. K1000s will be moving back to the main rig in the next day or two.

May 17, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #42 of 156
K1000s are back on the Ayre, and sub is back in the system. And the sound is unfreakingbelievable! For example, Patricia Barbor's and Diana Krall's pianos sound like you could reach out and touch them.

Even with additional burn-in, I prefer K1000s with my sub over full-range. While -- in terms of bass quality -- the K1000s still come up short compared to the same sub / crossover / amp use with my monitor speakers, adding the sub to K1000s provides these benefits...

1. Perception of a larger soundstage (i.e. rooms feel bigger)
2. More relaxed / natural sound for the midrange (probably because -- thanks to the crossover -- the K1000s are not being taxed to reproduce the lowest frequencies)
3. A little more punch in dynamic passages
4. A more solid musical foundation, derived from additional low-end weight

Some of my Mapleshade tweaks have begun to trickle in, so I've got some serious listening ahead of me the next couple of days
k1000smile.gif

May 17, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #43 of 156
My goal is to hear K1000s with this cable. In return I can offer a chance for you to hear my balanced Ayre and Vandersteen sub with K1000s.

I'm in north alabama. I'm will to travel, but hoping to find someone close enough to drive. As an alternative, if you're willing to come here, I would be glad to host a listen at my home. I know it's a long shot, but my system sounds so good, I'd like to hear what difference the cable makes prior to the installation.

BTW: My crossover and sub seem to bring a meaningful improvement is SQ, including a more relaxed and dynamic midrange (because of the crossover). So you may find benefit to hear my rig too.

May 18, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #44 of 156
Want to hear a great recording? Try this one: "Five Songbirds - A Reference Collection of Female Vocalists". You can get it from www.acousticsounds.com
If you enjoy good singing, you'll love this vinyl HDCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back