My journeys at an end.. (or so I thought..)
Jun 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #16 of 40
Awesome Zombie. By far the best post I've read in the last few months. Have fun with your speaker setup! I'm guessing you will be buying monitors to avoid coloration in speakers also?

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know it wasnt really your intent, but you're essentially saying every headphone that isn't the K701 is colored. Many here believe that the K701 is very colored in that it artifically pushes the highs. It is a coloration you like, which is fine, all headphones are colored in some way or another, but I think its a little much to suggest you have a totally uncolored sound with the K701.

And congratulations on being completely happy with your setup. I myself am pretty to very satisfied with my setup, but keep debating going one level higher to either a HD600, SR225 or AD900 as my main phone. As of now I basically have several phones that I view more or less equally.

The 701 is neutral for a audiophile headphone, but is still colored to some degree. Not all headphones add colorization. Pro audio headphones ie.. And headphones not made for the consumer market.
I can never be content. There is always better.

Jun 6, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 40
Wow congrats on finding the sound signature that you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 40
Thanks guys and I did notice I worded some things wrong. I know the K701 is colored, and so are other headphones, but I meant to say it's the most neutral one I've heard and enjoy that neutrality.

I'd still like to get a K701 but their prices have kept me away.

As for the set-up I have, I'll be adding PC/DAC to the mix eventually. I have like 200GB of music on my PC now.

Jun 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 40
Soooo... are you thinking about selling your HD650s and DT990s?

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 40
No, I'm still using them. I still like their sound sig albeit that the HD650's have a bass hump. I ditched all my duplicate phones already.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #25 of 40
I dont know if i'll ever get to that point !!
redface.gif

But that's great for you ! Happy for you !
beyersmile.png

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #26 of 40
Glad you really have found a signature that suits you best. Your setup is somewhat similar to mine though my source is my desktop>VHP-2 amp/VAC-1 psu> K501. I like my setup a lot but my journey is not complete yet...All the best for now and hope you will return soon to us spenders.

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #28 of 40
"There is nothing between you and the music"

Obviously opinions vary on this but that's I what I love about them too. To me they make other headphones sound veiled or colored. Sadly I don't listen to them much since I've gotten my Compass. The sound stage is just a bit too wide in a weird way. I though they were great with the Zero.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #30 of 40
You're not done. You have found your sound signature, which is very important. Now it's time to push it as far as it can go. The biggest factor is the source, though the K701 also needs a good full-size amp to really show its stuff. But I'd ditch that D2 first; the transducers can only be as good as the signal that they're fed and a dinky mp3 player isn't doing your system any favors. A good DAC is in order, I think.

However, there's no point in rushing it now that you're enjoying your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back