My journey - seeking closed headphones
Aug 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

surino

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a set of closed back headphones with velour pads for home music listening and gaming. They need to isolate the road noise outside when my window is open and my loud gpu fan (headphones being a cheaper alternative to water cooling). Ideally I'd like to spend less than £130-150 max. The genres I listen to are metal, rock, classical and electronic. I have tried out a few headphones over the past month with reference to recommendation threads on this site and other sites. The headphones I have tried out in order:

Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm)
Shure SRH840
Audio-Technica A900X
Sennheiser HD 380 Pro

The headphones were tested on my Xonar DGX (150 ohm max amp) using Dolby Headphone (DH) in game and standard stereo setup for music (320kbps). The DT770 proved to the best for gaming with the DH setup although the music listening suffered as a result of bloated boomy bass smothering the mids and causing listener fatigue. They were also the most comfortable headphone I have tried so far - I really appreciated the velour pads.

The SRH840 felt heavy in comparison and the headband applied a pressure point on the top of my head causing me too much discomfort to keep them. However, the sound quality was good albeit a little too weak on the bass creating a sense of balance more slanted toward the mids and highs in my opinion. The DH experience was diminished slightly by a frequent echo effect on voice acting within games.

The A900X just didn't fit me at all - applying hardly any pressure to my medium to small head. I tried the rubber band technique but it didn't really help. They would slide down my head and apply a very uncomfortable amount of pressure to my jaw. Needless to say these were boxed up and sent on their way.

The HD 380 Pro produce a balanced flat sound quality with punchy but not offensive bass - although it is not as well refined as the SRH840 in terms of music listening and is underwhelming on DH compared to the DT770. The vice like grip is not too much of an issue for me with my head size but the clamp pressure does cause me discomfort when combined with the lesser quality foam like ear pads.

I was intending on trying out the Sennheiser HD 439 next with the velour pads as a more comfortable alternative to the HD 380 Pro. I have thought about buying the DT770 250 ohm version but I am not keen on the coiled cable and it is rated as 100 ohm above my sound card amp! Another thought is to EQ the DT770 80 ohm to smooth out the bass and pull forward the recessed mids but the Xonar DGX 'Effect' tab EQ options didn't seem to have any effect on the sound output. Any input would be appreciated.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Hello!

Yes, I will definitely second the Sennheiser HD439! Other headphone to look into would be AKG K167

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

I hear good about the K167, there is also there Beyer Dt 990. I don't know what it costs over there, but here in the states it goes for about the same as a Ath a900x, oh but no isolation ok well nvm

The k550 might work to, but it might not fit :/ 

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 22
^ DT990 is open.

I also vote for the DT770.  I ran mine for a long time with a very similar setup (Xonar DG rather than DGX) and I was totally happy with them.  Still love them (listened to them yesterday while I was mowing the lawn, actually).  They can be had for 148 Euro here (B Stock) - http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_770_pro_80_ohms_b_stock.htm

Or brand new for 158 Euro - http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
^ DT990 is open.

I also vote for the DT770.  I ran mine for a long time with a very similar setup (Xonar DG rather than DGX) and I was totally happy with them.  Still love them (listened to them yesterday while I was mowing the lawn, actually).  They can be had for 148 Euro here (B Stock) - http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt_770_pro_80_ohms_b_stock.htm

Or brand new for 158 Euro - http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_dt770_pro80_ohm.htm

Indeed. the Beyer cans are super tough. They are built very well 

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
how's the dt770 without an amp? like straight through an itouch 5g?

80 ohm... pretty meh, 250 ohm would be terrible get your self a E11 and you'd have plenty of power 

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
how's the dt770 without an amp? like straight through an itouch 5g?

Not sure of the differences on the internal amp between the iTouch 5 and the iPhone 3GS.  They were meh, but tolerable out of the 3GS.  Adding an amp to them was like putting on a new pair, though.  They were good before, but they're great after.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 22
I hear good about the K167, there is also there Beyer Dt 990. I don't know what it costs over there, but here in the states it goes for about the same as a Ath a900x, oh but no isolation ok well nvm

The k550 might work to, but it might not fit :/ 

One of my friend is interested in K550! [My classmate/friend]. Are you selling yours? If so, best price? XD

Err yep! The AKG K167 does have fragile build but if you babysit them well, nothing to worry about xD

Billson :)

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 22
DT770 32 ohm might be a good choice. They had a limited edition last year and are coming out with an ongoing version this year. Its driven nicely by an mp3 player. 

Aug 31, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 22
I heard the 32 ohm DT770's were light on the bass? Does anyone have any experience with how they compare to the 80/250 ohm versions? I'd be tempted to fork out a little more if the mids sounded more forward and the bass was tamed but unfortunately they seem to have adopted pleather ear pads over velour. I have ordered the Sennheiser 439 to try out meanwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back