Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm

Rated #116 in Over-Ear

Pros: Near perfect spectrum and stage, durable, comfortable, great for discrete night use.

Cons: Velour pads are a must, some may find the cord too short

If you're like me you buy headphones with the intent of putting them through the wringer. I wanted headphones that would enable me to listen to music, watch TV/movies and play video games as much as I pleased. I scoured forums, marketplaces and even blogs to find a pair of headphones that were truly balanced, comfortable, durable and discrete. The Beyerdrynamic DT770 Pro L.E. 32 Ohms were the headphones that came out victorious, and they definitely fulfilled their promise.

To start let's talk about audio quality. Lows are punchy and clean but never go overboard, mids are crisp and detailed while the highs really shine. The sound stage is quite impressive so your material really does come to life while wearing these. Another important note is that these cans DO NOT LEAK. You can really crank these up without letting anyone around you listen in.

Comfort and durability wise this set is solid in both regards. Designed to be used in a rigorous studio and field environment, there's nothing you can do at home to hurt these. But that aside I must say that the add-on velour pads are a must. The headphones themselves are over ear, meaning they don't touch your ear in any way, but pleather is just an awful choice on Beyerdynamic's part. With the velour pads you can wear these for hours on end. Which I end up doing from time to time.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm is a smart choice for anyone looking for "workhorse" headphones. Albeit a bit pricey, you do get what your pay for. They sound great, have solid construction and handle all forms of media well. Highly recommended.

Pros: Bass, mids, highs, clarity, laid-back, nuanced

Cons: hot to wear, cheap plastic finish

DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32ohm

Look:
770/LE mostly resembles standard version, except for the words and printing on the ear cups. It's plastically ugly kind of black color, sadly.

Comfort and Isolation:
Due to its light weight, it does not add too much pressure on the top of the head. Ear pads are pleather but not of high quality material. Isolation is good and helps quiet listening quite a bit.

Sound Quality:
For the price it's a nice offer. Soundstage is big. I don't feel much congestion. It's not flat, like the standard version, actually gives a nice sense of space. Bass is punchy but not as tight as other headphones. Vocals are pretty inviting. Plugging in an amp even brings out vocals further. For me it's the highs that are most extraordinary. The highs extend well and naturally without being harsh. Highs simply sound smooth, yet satisfying. It's just very smooth and good sounding. It also has very nice detail retrival and nuance. Maybe it's the close-back nature that allows me to hear the details so effortlessly. I think it has a new kind of balance. Unlike its thinner and harsh cousin, standard 770 pro,I do find the bass, mids and highs all very satisfying. That's what makes 770/LE special.

For its price, there's really not much to complain. If I want to listen to music and need some isolation, 770/LE becomes handy. Too bad it's limited. If you find one, do not hesitate to buy it.

Pros: Very Easy to Drive, Bass, Bass ..... Bass

Cons: Stock Earpads are Pleather. Short Cord.

Hi,

I'll be updating this guide periodically, I just wanted to get something out there quickly as I know various people are considering this set of headphones but there isn't much information out there about them. I'll be referring to these headphones as the 'LE's' throughout this review for the sake of my fingers.

Minor Disclaimer, I am not very experienced with Head-Fi gear, this being only my second owned pair of decent cans. I have, however, demoed quite a lot of sets while considering whether to purchase this pair. I also bought these in the UK so I paid £136.00 for the headphones, plus £20 for extra pads.

Okay.

Build.

So these headphones are being (semi) marketed towards people wishing to have the Beyer DT770 Pro sound without the hassle of an amp, so to better facilitate mobile device connections they come with a shorter 1.8 metre straight cable. I found this cable to be slightly too long if being used with a device in your pocket, and also slightly too short if being used with a PC, TV, home AV setup etc. Perhaps the first thing you'll want to do is to buy an extension cable if you intend to use these with anything other than your mobile. That will obviously add extra cost, something you'll have to factor in to thier price.

The headband seems to be the same exact removable material used on the 80 Ohm version, which is nice as it's SUPER comfy and the band it attaches to has a nice amount of flexibility so I rarely feel anything on the top of my head. The buttons along the top also look pretty cool too.

The earcups are also the same as the 80 Ohm version, but the earpads are the big difference.
They are made out of Pleather that feels very similar to the material the headband is made out of, not quite as soft, but it seems to have the same "slightly moist" property of that band. This makes them very comfortable, and also gives them a nice isolation when attached to your head. I did find I noticed a slight warmness after using them for half an hour with these pads on, but the heat didn't really increase over the next 4hrs odd that I tested them for.

I replaced the stock pads with the Velour pads that come with the other cans within this Beyer range immediately after testing the Pleather pads and found an immediate increase in comfort and they seemed to allow my ears to breathe a touch more. This reduced the isolation properties ever so slightly and also very slightly reduced the bass boom, which I personally found to be an imporovement. Seriously, this took the comfortability factor up to 11 - SUPER DUPER COMFORTABLE!

Sound.

Now the DT770 range are generally regarded as "Bassy" headphones, the 80 Ohm version being the goto cans for Bassheads in this price range, the 200 and 600 Ohm versions being noticeably less so. I've only personally listened to the 80 Ohm version version for a very short period while demoing them and found the LE's to be on a par with them. One of the things I was worried about is that they may have been made to sound more like the other phones in this range, but to my ears they sounded very close to the 80 Ohm version.

At first I had no idea what people were talking about when they said "recessed mids" or "scratchy highs" but after listening to these headphones directly after a pair of Sennheiser HD598's I noticed a definite recession in the midrange and the treble was ever-so-slightly irritating. The Senn's were, however, warmed up and broken in over many many hours and the LE's were new out of the box. I'm happy to say that after only an hour or so they sounded much better, no irritation at the top end and nice clear mids ... for my ears. Lots of people talk about the DT range taking an extremely long time to "burn-in", while others class the whole idea of burn-in ridiculous. Without wanting to get into that debate I'll just say that after 10 or so hours of listening these cans improved no end, most of that improvement being within the first hour, as I assume they just shook their brand new cobwebs off. Since then i've not noticed any real change, other than my own hearing getting used to them and learning to really enjoy the Beyer sound signature, they sound very different to the Sennheisers I've used in the past.

I found the bass sounded a bit crazy at first. While looking for information on these headphones I'd read a review on the 80 Ohm version saying that the reviewer at first couldn't find bass in the place's he expected to in a track he'd used to demo them, but that the then bass hit him unexpectedly, and he realised that before he was just hearing low midrange beefed up by poor headphones and confusing that for real bass. I found something similar, the bass was pretty much where I expected it to be, just tighter and more controlled, but as a bonus it was also in lots of places I WASN'T expecting it to be, like an underlying menacing heartbeat of bass, not overpowering, but threatening, like it could overpower you at any time, if only it wanted to. I Love it! I mean really love it.
As another comparison on the bass, I took them into HMV with a friend who had never listened to decent headphones. I made him listen to some dance, dub-step, electronica, and Adele with a little Lana Del Ray thrown in, on all the heaphones they have to test there. When comparing the various Beats cans with Skullcandy phones he much preferred the Beats, I then made him listen to a pair of HD515's and HD555 which he said blew the Beats out of the water, targeted them with a laser, and blew them to smithereens with a rocket propelled grenade. I then let him listen to the LE's. He wouldn't give them back until we left the shop.
He particularly liked the fact that they still sounded spacious even though they were closed back, and while not having (not his words) a soundstage as open as the 555's they still sounded really open (his words), like certain parts of tracks were being played across the other side of the room, with the added benefit of not being able to hear other people around you.

Driveablilty. (is that a word?)

Now these are being recommended for portable use, so your mobile and/or ipod needs to be able to run them unamped. They do so comfortably, although I can easily, and mostly do, crank the volume up to full when listening to them. I like my music quite loud, but not over the top, so I could do with a little extra headroom at the volume top end, so i'll be buying an amp eventually. I haven't yet used them with an amp so I can't comment on any improved sound though various people on these forums, all of them more experienced and vastly more knowledgeable than myself, have said that the DT770 range as a whole benefits a fair amount being driven by an amp. I'll shortly be purchasing a Fiio E17 so i'll update this review with impressions of how the LE's sound with it and without it.

Driving them from my onboard PC sound had much less punch. Turned up to maximum volume I still wanted more, I'm not interested in using EQ fixes for that on the PC or anything that my colour the EQ, so even though they are only 32 Ohms people looking to drive them exclusively from PC's or laptops with rubbish sound cards may want to consider getting an amp too, and in that case may well consider getting the 80 Ohm version which will still require an amp but are slightly cheaper than the LE's and come with the Velour pads in the box saving you an extra £20 or so on top.

Verdict.

So far I am extremely happy with these headphones. I can truely say I love them.

For what I wanted them for, being able to listen to quality music without bothering the missus or have her bother me, and being comfortable without making my ears sweat or giving me the claustrophobic feeling some closed-back headphones can do, I find them to be excellent. Like I said, I love them.

I can't directly compare them to more expensive headphones, but for other headphones in this price range, particularly the open-backed variety, for me they don't lose much at all and gain a hell of a lot. Buy them, then buy some more expensive open-backed ones later like I intend to :)

Thanks for reading, feel free to point out anything that requires attention, but please bear in mind i'm very new to this scene so no out-and-out flaming pretty please :P

If you have any questions at all please just reply to this thread, I'm more than happy to try to help. Happy Choosing!  ..... and thanks for reading again!

Pros: Indescribable Durability, Amazing Sound Quality, Very well balance

Cons: None

So I have these phones for a little bit now and I can say that I absolutely LOVE them. They do require a little bit of burn in to get the full sound but out of the box the quality will blow you away. I've tried the other ohm versions and there is very little difference between them, except the 80 ohm tends to be a bit more bassy. But considering the balance and excellent bass on these its doubtful you'd really need much more. These phones can handle EVERY range of music and I know I was personally looking for phones to handle metal and rock (which hard to find now with all the headphones having bloated bass and nothing else) and i can confidently say these are the ones.

To describe a little:

• The build quality of these phones is apparent straight out of the box. I was stunned by how sturdy these headphones were.
  • EXTREME comfort like no other. I've had these on my head for 5 hours now and I can say that I fell absolutely no discomfort. The ear cushions support very well and are extremely soft, yet firm.
  • Unbeatable isolation. I take off the headphones, clamp them together, and cant hear a thing. Checked by listening to music next to people and they heard nothing.
  • VERY balance. So balanced that when I put on my EQ and did flat and balanced there was literally no difference to the sound than when the EQ was off.
  • SUPER portable. You won't need to carry around an amp like the other ohm versions!
  • Can play a very large variety of music and do so extremely well. German engineering for the win.

If you are having any doubt about these phones or the ohm version, go with these. They are superior to sooo many other headphones and are extremely portable!

Pros: Bass depth and body, treble detail, soundstage, clarity

Cons: Recessed midrange, a little hollow, a little boomy

Really liking these so far. The LEs are not quite fully powered by my Nexus 4, but my Samsung Infuse with Voodoo Sound does them justice well below full volume. The soundstage is really impressive for a closed can, it seems almost as big as my friend's DT880s, albeit not quite as deep and natural; however the vocals are not as noticeably recessed as the 880/990 which seem to place vocals further from the listener as an artifact of having more depth.

Big, dynamic, but clear sound, no portion of the spectrum noticeably colors the rest. The midrange is mostly neutral but does have a little bit of that "Hifi sheen" that makes vocals sound just a tad bright, but not so much that it compromises its accuracy or hinders detail. The bass has a boomy quality to it, seems like around 100 hz, which looks consistent with DT770 graphs. It doesn't particularly bother me, and with a little EQ in the upper lows and lower mids (250-500hz range) it seems less out of place, but it can be a bit distracting just depending on the type of music: these phones sound great with classical, but the bass just seems a little out of place sometimes. The treble can be a touch splashy/muddy, and covers some of the midrange in espcially busy tracks (think more complex psytrance like Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, some orchestral music), but it definitely isn't piercing or sibilant, which surprises me considering its overall emphasized quantity. The soundstage is larger than any closed headphone I've heard, and actually in some cases will throw cues that seem more distant than my HD558, albeit not in as natural a fashion.

For $250 I am satisfied, especially considering they can be driven well without an amp. They sound nice and detailed, albeit a bit more treble-tilted and not quite fully powered judging by the slightly hollow quality to the bass, out of my ELE EL-D01 USB DAC with no amp, but sound very full and dynamic from the HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC + E11 combo. The warmth from the E11 makes it sound a tad bloated in the bass at times, but nothing to complain about. My Samsung Infuse with Voodoo Sound drives them well for a portable, better than the ELE in terms of power, but not quite as well as the Sabre + E11 combo, as the Infuse retains just a little bit of the same bass hollowness as with the ELE, albeit to a lesser extent. The sound from the infuse has slightly more upper midrange presence than either the Sabre or ELE, making it better for vocals.

Overall I am very satisfied with the LEs: they are my go-to option when I want to be on the go and still have top-notch sound; I prefer the SM3 for relaxing or writing at my local coffee shop, just because of IEM isolation and the more relaxed signature (the DT770s beg you to listen actively; the SM3 is immersive but not overly analytical), but they are fragile and so I forgo them in favor of the LEs or my SE215 for actual on-the-go listening. They also do great for gaming: I use them for Star Wars: The Old Republic and they do everything I want. Positioning is good for hearing where enemies are firing on me from, and the sense of large but closed space that they create is really fitting for a lot of the caves, buildings, and other large indoor settings encountered in SWTOR.

I have recommended the LEs to a few friends who were not even interested in hifi before, just because I think they are a better all-rounder than the other DT770 80 ohm, and I see them as being a big enough leap in SQ over "normal" headphones that even a total newb would be impressed, despite the tonality and presentation being so different from what most people are used to. I don't think they are for everyone, but if you like an accurate, neutral tonality with a V-shaped response, these make a great closed can with no serious faults that I have found. The bass is not quite as tight and controlled as I would like IDEALLY (the DT880 does a better job in this regard), but it's hard for me to consider that a serious fault as most people prefer a bit of extra bass, and aren't used to super-tight, detailed hifi bass anyways. All in all, it's an easy phone to recommend: between the overall solid SQ, enhanced bass, crisp and detailed treble, shorter-but-not-too-short (5') cable, good isolation, easy-to-drive 32 ohm impedance without sacrificing the ability to scale with an amp, sturdy design, and user-friendliness coupled with a hifi sound that remains accessible, it beats out everything else I've seen for a do-it-all headphone, and should be a popular recommendation for budding audiophiles and everyday listeners alike.

Updated 3/7/2013

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm

88 years of beyerdynamic – time to refine the legendary DT 770 Pro headphones with a special 32 Ohms edition. beyerdynamic celebrates its 88th anniversary with a refined edition of the DT 770 PRO headphone – the professional audio industry standard for more than 20 years. Its newly developed 32 Ohms drivers are based on our world-renowned 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms drivers. While the new DT 770 PRO 32 Ohms limited anniversary edition satisfies even the highest studio requirements, it is also compatible with smartphones, MP3 players, tablets, laptops and PC soundcards. Like its bestselling 80 Ohms and 250 Ohms twins, this special 32 Ohms version is hand-made in Germany with utmost dedication to every detail. It comes with a black softskin headband and black softskin ear cushions, giving it a distinctive professional-look, which stands out from the crowd. Further features include a 1.6 m (5.2 ft.) straight cable with 3.5 mm mini stereo jack and 6.35 mm stereo jack adapter as well as aluminium labels on the side cups, which are embossed with the anniversary number 88. The limited anniversary edition DT 770 PRO 32 Ohms comes in an exclusive retro-style box and will be available this year (2012) only.

Related Media/Links:

Troubleshooting/Known Issues:

Small air holes front right & rear left - on a windy day slight disturbance in one ear but not the other due to this.

How To:

I would definitely recommend using an amplifier - all round improvement - i'm using an RSA P-51 and it sounds much better than on it's own.

Cable is good and solid, slightly too stiff - but as mentioned a bit long for portable - a bit short for home.

Related Items and Accessories:

Not necessarily items within the community, just any other recommendations.