my iphone seems to break headphones
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hometownwesty

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

new member with a weird problem, looking for help.

A long while ago I bought a "beats" headset to use with my iPhone. This worked for a couple of months, until suddenly it didn't.
I suspected a cable breakage, and since back than I didn't know where the hot side of an soldering iron was and thought things could only be repaired by buying new, I did just that and bought a set of brainwavz M4.
Those served me well for months, until it happened again: it sounds like the cable broke.
The only difference was: this time I wanted to make sure it really was the cable.
So I tried them with a couple other iPods, iPhones and the like, and they worked perfectly. So it wasn't the cable.
Then I tried all my headphones I had flying around the house (except the beats of course) with the iPhone and they all worked perfectly.
Strange. I figured it must be the plug or its fit or something and built a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm extension with a really snug fitting Neutrik plug. All my headsets work perfectly with this extension, except for the M4 and the beats.
So it's not the cable, not the plug and not the socket.
What in the world is it? 
I could just buy a new headset (the ones I tried are either big headphones or cheap old headsets, so I don't want to use them outside the house), but I'm afraid it would only last me a couple months until weird things happen again.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on, or can give hints for further investigation?

Thanks so much in advance,
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back