My impressions on the Alessandro MS-2's
Mar 1, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #16 of 41
I only had a short time with my MS2i before I decided to ship them to Grado because the earcups appeared to be damaged or somehow stained. I haven't heard back from them, but it's driving me crazy to be without them - I had just started my journey through my cd collection with them when I sent them back. Hopefully, they will replace the earcups and send them back in pristine condition, the way they should have been the first time around.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by young&wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't really like bending headbands, I usually leave them as they are out of the factory.

you're bend the headband as you wear em! gasp!
basshead.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by young&wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't really like bending headbands, I usually leave them as they are out of the factory. It's not like I against people doing it, but it's just me.
biggrin.gif

Actually......go ahead and bend them! They won't break! That's what the band is made to do! You can tie them in knots and untie them again if you wanted to!

Well....tying them in knots is taking it a bit too far; but they are made of a steel that is intended to be bent into the shape that fits you best.

Yeah; it's a design feature of Grados, go ahead; try it! It's Ok! It works
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew that I would be impressed if i bought ms2is, but the pros were a lot of "sweet $$$" more so they must be better ... right?

errr... excuse me while i have another *eargasm*
blink.gif
rs1smile.gif
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since this is an MS2i thread I'll have to go on the record as admitting that I can justify the extra cost of the MS2i over the cost of the MS-1 due to the better materials and(usually)better workmanship. But whew, more than doubling the price above that, just to change from expensive aluminum to expensive wood and maybe a bit better headband is, *gulp*; a little hard to take! But, ya know, seriously; if I had a better system to drive them with.....
rs1smile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to be neutral(compared to 325i) but i sometimes miss the fun-ness of 325i

That's the nice thing about Grado giving us a choice of two different aluminum cans to pick from. I haven't heard the SR-325i yet, so I don't know what I may be missing.

But between the Grado and Alessandro lines; Grado sure has given us a nice range of choice in helping us find just the Right set of cans at that.

.....I'll take one of each; please!!

Now that'd REALLY be fun!!
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're bend the headband as you wear em! gasp!
basshead.gif

Hmm...looks like I pretty much used the wrong words to explain what I really wanted to say. What I was trying is that I rather have the headband bend by itself through the process of wearing it and during the course of wearing it than actually physically bending it.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually......go ahead and bend them! They won't break! That's what the band is made to do! You can tie them in knots and untie them again if you wanted to!

Well....tying them in knots is taking it a bit too far; but they are made of a steel that is intended to be bent into the shape that fits you best.

Yeah; it's a design feature of Grados, go ahead; try it! It's Ok! It works
smily_headphones1.gif

Off course I know they wont snap if I bend it. I know its a common practice among some folks here in Head-Fi to get a better fit.
Anyway I'm very much used to the pressure when the MS2i sits on my ears these days. They feel almost as light as my old MS1.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #24 of 41
Well, just wanted to add my own personal experiences and a few pics to this thread...keep in mind I've only just received them and I didn't wait for them to fully burn in or for good light so they'd really shine in the pics!

Impressions: I own the SR60's as well and the MS2i's do sound just a tad more refined, balanced and precise, which I did indeed expect but it was nice to find out this is actually the case as well. The bass needed a couple of hours to 'grow' as it sounded quite thin out of the box. Now (20+ hours) it fulfills all my bass-requirements: pretty deep but nice and tight bass with more punch than quantity. Highs are much more easily digestible than your average low-price grado and mids are just so smooth I'd invite them to lunch.

The MS2i's are free-choice: they allow the user to decide whether he/she'd like an analytical listen (which they do provide as they quite easily let you separate layers and instruments) but at the same time they do keep the musicality that the Grado-line is best known for. So while you can have a close listen to that new CD, they will please you most of the time with their major FUN-characteristics...

I also own the ATH-A900 and while I like them for classical and jazz, I personally prefer Alessandro > Grado > ATH in sound-signature. The Alessandro's sound effortless, especially with the HeadFive. They do have quite a bit of soundstage and they do not feel restricted in any way (unlike the A900 which do have a bit of a closed-in nasal sound sometimes compared to the MS2i's)

... but without further ado...

Pics:
MS2i-01.jpg

MS2i-02.jpg

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by niktheblak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad the bowls hurt like hell
blink.gif

I totally agree with your other comments, this is truly a special pair of cans (in the aesthetics too!). BTW, talking of the bowls... trust me, it's just matter of getting used to. I started with the flats on the SR60 in December, I had lot of painful irritation in the first weeks (sometime I couldn't even touch my ears). Later I started to get used too, then I bought the MS2 in January and I found the bowls are much better cause there's not full contact, there's basically air in the middle. Just be patient, your ears just need a couple of weeks (and bend the headband a little to adjust to your head shape).

It's time to resuscitate the MS2 appreciation thread!
image.php

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #28 of 41
Aluminum just seems like the wrong material for a speaker/headphone. Does it ring at all? You would think it would be cheaper to use wood and sound better. What am I missing ?

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aluminum just seems like the wrong material for a speaker/headphone. Does it ring at all? You would think it would be cheaper to use wood and sound better. What am I missing ?

Haha... You should talk to Fabio about that.

The aluminum used is specially hardened.

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah; it does seem as though aluminum would be a poor choice for cans or speakers. But then again the cans speak for themselves. I also understand that the housings are treated in such a way as to reduce the possibility of unfortunate sonic interactions.

And so do my speakers! The drivers cones are made of the stuff!! In that case; the cones are made of proper alloys and of the proper dimensions and dampening to keep the interactions at frequencies outside of the frequencies encountered during normal operations.

They all work pretty good; too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back