My impressions on the Alessandro MS-2's
Mar 3, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesmondDavidH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with your other comments, this is truly a special pair of cans (in the aesthetics too!). BTW, talking of the bowls... trust me, it's just matter of getting used to. I started with the flats on the SR60 in December, I had lot of painful irritation in the first weeks (sometime I couldn't even touch my ears). Later I started to get used too, then I bought the MS2 in January and I found the bowls are much better cause there's not full contact, there's basically air in the middle. Just be patient, your ears just need a couple of weeks (and bend the headband a little to adjust to your head shape).

It's time to resuscitate the MS2 appreciation thread!
image.php

Do you mean flats of comfies?

Mar 3, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean flats of comfies?

I'm guessing he meant the comfies. I had the comfies on my MS-1s early on and then replaced them with the 414s in normal configuration and found that I still had a problem with the comfort until I quarter-modded them. My ears didn't really start to like them til I finally reversed them and got the thicker material between the cans and my ears and of course the hole in the middle.

I still use the reversed 414s on my MS-1s but really like the bowls on my MS2i. Comfort and sound.

Mar 3, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing he meant the comfies. I had the comfies on my MS-1s early on and then replaced them with the 414s in normal configuration and found that I still had a problem with the comfort until I quarter-modded them. My ears didn't really start to like them til I finally reversed them and got the thicker material between the cans and my ears and of course the hole in the middle.

I still use the reversed 414s on my MS-1s but really like the bowls on my MS2i. Comfort and sound.

I'm really starting to like the bowls, so much in fact that I just ordered a pair for my RS-1's.

And I'm really starting to LOVE my MS-2's!!! These are so sweet! The detail, resolution and clarity is out of this world, but combine that with the immediacy and intimacy, the PUNCH of the classic Grado house sound, these may (may) supplant the RS-1's as my favorite cans...

Nah!

But I do love them anyways!
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be on the lookout for a pictorial thread or a big post in the before/after thread or something
biggrin.gif

just added a couple of pics to the MS2i-love thread (here)... check it out and keep the thread alive

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 41
Oh yeah; in case I didn't mention it: Luv your pics!!

...and hey! This is a good thread to keep going too!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by young&wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I was trying is that I rather have the headband bend by itself through the process of wearing it and during the course of wearing it than actually physically bending it.
biggrin.gif

haha, i know, i was just kidding
biggrin.gif

i know what you mean. i didn't bend my ksc75 clips for the longest time, but then i thought i'd give it a shot
but then i could never get it back to how i liked em

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #38 of 41
Has anyone had any experience between the ms-2 and ms-pro? As people seem to complain of weight and comfort with the ms-2 i'm wondering if the substitution of mahogany for the aluminum may cut down on the weight, maybe not. Any impressions?

cheers

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #39 of 41
I have the MS2i and have auditioned RS1 (the grado twin of MSpro) and yes, the wood is (or better feels) much lighter than the aluminum MS2i.

But you have to decide for yourself if the lighter weight and slightly better SQ are worth it to pay more than double the MS2i for the MSpro? For me it isn't (yet)...

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #40 of 41
The difference between the two is roughly 100gm. The wooden and plastic models weigh about 200gm.....the MS-1 is 202gm while the weight of the MS2i is 305gm.

Some folks have a problem, but most don't. I wasn't sure if I would be one of the unfortunate ones so I went and did a weight test where I hung 100gm of weight in the form of some metric sockets on the height adjusters of my MS-1s and left them there for something over a month.

They actually felt uncomfortably light when I eventually took the weights off!

The only time the extra mass is inconvenient, at least to me, is when I try to look down at the keys when I'm trying to type.

They want to fall off!

They're also a bit heavy for any brisk walking. But for just sitting while listening; no problem. I even managed to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon with the MS2i here a few months back.

I can only speak for myself, but if I had known how well I would like the MS-1 and then the MS2i and then, I'm sure, the MS-Pro, I would have probably gone and bought the MS-Pro in the first place!
rs1smile.gif

.....but it didn't happen that way.
frown.gif

EDIT: Before I forget....I am absolutely infatuated and in love with my MS2i and am so glad I got them! Just that my understanding is the MS-Pro is "a little bit more and a little bit less" MS2i!! More of the same great thing!!

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah; it does seem as though aluminum would be a poor choice for cans or speakers. But then again the cans speak for themselves.

Actually, aluminum is considered one of the better materials for speakers due to its rigidity and strength (in optimal designs, making it more pervious to resonance than wood). Check out the Dynaudio MASTER and TEMPTATION- both are known for their inherintly anti-resonant front baffles (something they could not achieve with wood); they are machined out of solid aluminum, also the B&W Nautilus with its aluminum cones and drivers.

One reason behind the lack of metals and dense materials in speaker construction is their cost, for some manufactures, wood offers the best bang per buck: smaller manufactures are unable to afford expensive prototyping and production setup costs. It takes much more money to make a peice of aluminum sound good than it would a piece of wood. It is also very important to note that some of the most loved grados use aluminum in their construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back