My impressions of the JMT Altoids amp
Nov 16, 2001 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Russ Arcuri

20% more jawbone...15% less fat...
Note: I typed this up originally as a response to Joe Bloggs on this thread. However, I realized that the info might be useful to others, so I'm posting it here. This is also fair warning so you don't wonder why I'm referring (in a couple places) specifically to Joe.
---

I received my JMT Altoids amp (CHA 47) yesterday. I listened to it pretty much the entire evening last night. Here are my impressions:

1. Fit and finish are good. The only indication anyone would have that it's a DIY amp is the Altoids tin (there are no commercial amps available in Altoids tins, obviously).

2. When there's no source signal, this thing is SILENT. No hum, hiss, or noise, even with the volume turned up much louder than I would use to listen to actual music. I know that was a concern of yours after your bad experience with the Boosteroo.

3. It's pretty darn neutral -- i.e. it does not color the sound at all. Exactly what a solid state amp should do. One thing other people I've spoken with about amps said is that their first decent amp didn't "blow them away" -- as if the amp should somehow make the music sound different. You have to keep in mind that an IDEAL amplifier will do nothing other than play your music as loudly as you want to play it. Tube amps color the sound in a pleasing way (usually), but a good solid-state amp won't.

4. Now, to contradict point 3, the music does sound different. It's not colored in any way, but the low end (especially with my Sennheiser HD580s) has more impact. The HD580s are difficult to drive, and portable players just don't have the power to drive them properly. The JMT altoids amp drives them with authority, so they sound "right." I know you are concerned that the HD580s are hard to drive, but I can say now for sure that the CHA 47 drives them just fine.

5. I've commented previously (on another thread) about the headphone jack on my circa-1993 Onkyo Integra DX-C606 CD changer. It's one of the best headphone jacks I've ever used on a rack-style player. I can't find any specific info on what components were used for the headphone amplifier, or any specs. But it's a 1/4" gold-plated jack, and a very smooth volume pot. The 606 has always driven my HD-580s with authority -- such that I never felt the need for a dedicated headphone amplifier. I auditioned a friend's Headroom Little, and didn't notice any improvement over the headphone jack in the 606 (though unfortunately I couldn't A/B with the 606).

So, how does the JMT Altoids amp compare with the headphone jack on the 606? In a word, well. Both produce clean, detailed sound, at any listening level I want. The 606 will play louder (tested with the headphones AWAY from my ears) but the Altoids amp (built with a gain of 5, according to JMT) will drive them to uncomfortably loud, dangerous levels as well.

The sound I get from the 606 headphone jack is ever so slightly fuller and more detailed than my Panasonic 570 > JMT Altoids combo. I suspect this is due to differences in the DACs, though I suppose it could be due to differences in the opamps. It would be useful to know what opamps the 606 uses, but that will have to wait until I can find the info somewhere or open up the CD player and check for myself.

I did not have time to test the 606 into the JMT amp to eliminate the DACs as a possibility. I would not be surprised if the DAC in the 606 sounds better than the Panasonic DAC used in the 570; I remember reading about the expensive, high quality components used in the 606 when I bought it back in 1993. I have always preferred the sound of the 606's DAC to every other DAC I've tried, including the newer 24/96 DAC used in my Denon A/V receiver and the (supposedly highly-touted) Legato-Link / Pioneer DAC used in my Elite CLD-79 laserdisc player.

In any case, at home in my living room I will probably still use the headphone jack on the 606, if only because the DAC sounds better than my portable. However, I will be using the JMT Altoids amp whenever I'm not within 10 feet of the 606. It sounds great and it drives my HD580s well.

I didn't have time to do any extensive listening to the Altoids amp with my Grado SR-80s. The CHA 47 design is supposed to be optimized for low-impedance phones like the SR-80s. The brief listen I gave them was good, though I think a gain of 5 might be slightly too much for ease of use with the SR-80s. It took some playing to get the Grados set to a reasonable volume level for listening in a very quiet room... what I mean is, turning the volume pot up from no sound at all to the point where both channels play cleanly involves very little turning at all. Getting the pot into the "sweet spot" means turning it a bit further, which makes the volume too high for the SR-80s in a quiet room.

This isn't JMT's fault; I asked him to make the amp 'generic' enough to drive the Sennheisers with authority (rather than using the default CHA 47 config, which is optimized for Grados). I guess setting the gain to 5 made it work better with the Sennheisers but made it less ideal for the Grados. This isn't a big problem for me; the main reason I wanted the amp was for the Sennheisers, and my portable players can drive the Grados fine without assistance.

I'm going to be building a CMOY with crossfeed myself sometime soon, using a Hansen PCB. I'll report on its performance then, with comparisons to the Altoids amp.

Russ "The Peripatetic Audiophile"

Nov 16, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Oh, one other thing I noticed, but cannot explain. Maybe someone here with more electronics knowledge can explain it. When I plug my Grados into a headphone jack, and set the volume level, then switch over to my Sennheisers, I have to increase the volume setting to get them to the same level. This is to be expected, I think: the Sennheisers and Grados are vastly different impedances, and are probably different sensitivities as well. This phenomenon is noted on pretty much every headphone jack I've tried this on.

HOWEVER, (and here's what I can't explain), on the Integra 606's headphone jack, the volume stays pretty much the same when I switch back and forth between the Grados and the Sennheisers. I can set the volume to my preferred listening level while wearing the Grados, then switch over to the Sennheisers and there's no need to adjust. On every other headphone jack I've done this 'experiment' on, including the Altoids amp, I have to adjust the volume after switching to make them the same. Okay, techies... someone explain why...

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm no techie, (we'll probably have to wait for people with real knowledge to post) however it would seem to me if the output impedance of the 606's headphone jack were to be relatively high, that would cause the phenomenom (probably spelled wrong) that you are seeing. For example the HD580's at 300 ohms have 10 times the imedance of the Grados 32 ohms. But add say 200 ohms to that from the headphone jack, and you have 500 vs. 232, which is only 2 times difference. This is just a wild guess, so don't go thinking I'm necessarily correct...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Nice review, Russ. Now I *really* want one!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Good review Russ. I purchased a JMT Penguin amp about two months ago; it is the same thing as the Altoids amp except in a Penguin Mint tin. I chose the standard configuration to drive my Grado SR-60s.

I bought the amp because I couldn't stand the sound of my CD Player at work - even through the Grado SR-60's. One thing I have noted over the past two months is that I don't like 1/8" jacks. The sound to the left channel cuts out occassionally and I am forced to jiggle the connector until it comes back . I have never had this problem with 1/4" jacks. Since this amp and my other JMT amp (one built specifically for the Senn. 580's) are my first headphone amps I can't compare them with anything else. But compared to the headphone out on the portable/computer CDP's that I have tried there is a significant improvement.

Nov 17, 2001 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Regarding Russ' volume level question on headphone jacks, I think Scott answered it right. When the amp has high internal impedance (Ri), the current (I) through the inserted headphone will remain about the same for phones with different impedance (Rl). Note: I = V / (Ri + Rl). The 606's jack must be current driving amp with Ri >> Rl.

On the other hand, your Altoids being a good amp most likely has very low internal resistance, Ri << Ri. That is, the current through the inserted phones is inversely proportional to the phone's impedance. Thus, the Altoids' jack must be voltage driving amp. Hope it helps explain your query. (Yes, I am a techie.
tongue.gif
)

Nov 17, 2001 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jedai
...The 606's jack must be current driving amp with Ri >> Rl.

On the other hand, your Altoids being a good amp most likely has very low internal resistance (...) Thus, the Altoids' jack must be voltage driving amp.

Okay, does anyone care to comment on the pros vs. cons of current driving amps vs. voltage driving amps?

Jedai's comment "...Altoids being a good amp..." would lead one to believe that voltage driving amps are "good" and conversely, current driving amps are "not good." Yet the headphone jack in the 606 is easily the best headphone jack I've ever tried on a device that wasn't a dedicated headphone amp. Is there a particular reason why an engineer would pick this design for use in a higher-end CD player?

It's clear to me, based on the sound and workmanship of the player, that they made at least some effort to provide something better than the standard low-cost headphone jack used on most consumer gear, or they wouldn't have bothered with the gold-plated jack and relatively high-quality volume pot. It could just be window dressing, but it sure doesn't sound that way.

Nov 17, 2001 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 11
To quote myself:

>> The sound I get from the 606 headphone jack is ever so slightly
>> fuller and more detailed than my Panasonic 570 > JMT Altoids
>> combo. I suspect this is due to differences in the DACs,
>> though I suppose it could be due to differences in the opamps.

Well, I tested the Integra 606 into the Altoids amp, and compared it with the 606 driving the headphones directly from its own headphone jack. They sounded pretty much identical, which leads me to believe that the "fuller, richer sound" derived from the 606 in my earlier tests was due to the DAC, not the quality of the amplification.

It made logical sense, but it's nice to confirm this. It only serves to demonstrate that the Altoids amp is an amazing value, faithfully reproducing even the subtlest nuances of the DACs driving it, and not suffering a bit in a comparison with an unusually high-quality headphone jack in a top-quality (IMO) consumer-grade player.*

* I've gotten some strange looks over the past 8 years whenever I tout my Onkyo Integra 606 changer as "top quality." I guess people just don't think of Onkyo that way -- not even their higher-end "Integra" products. This kind of baffles me, to be honest. I let my ears decide what's good and what's not, and as I mentioned previously, I like the 606 better than any other CD player I've tried. But every crosseyed look I've gotten from people came before they ever listened to it for themselves.

"Bring over your favorite discs/headphones/whatever, and give it a listen. Then tell me whether it's a worthy player or not." I've only had three people take me up on the offer, and one of them ended up buying a 606 for himself. He had to find one used on eBay, since (apparently) this model wasn't available new anymore after around 1995 or 1996. One of the other two ended up buying a 909, which is almost the same thing but with secondary balanced outputs.

Now I'm not saying that the 606 can compare with truly high-end equipment that costs 5-20X as much. But I don't have that kind of budget and won't be giving up on this player any time soon.

Sorry for getting off topic. I was discussing my rig with an acquaintance earlier today and he too gave me a strange look when I told him how much I liked the 606. Of course, he has never heard it for himself... I guess I just needed to vent.

Nov 20, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 11
The reason stated Above By Jedi is correct Since The Output Impedance of Your JMT amp is alot lower that the Headphone Output on your 606 most licky caused by resistors placed Between the Headphone Jack and the Internal Amps output rather that driving the Amp Direct as is Done In the Jmt Amp. Thus, To use an analogy be Referencing Loudspeakers for a moment Consider The Relationship Between The Amplifire's Output Impedance and the Loudspeakers Nominal Impedance. This is expressed in the Specifications of the Amplifire as Damping factor. Damping factor is the Rated Loudspeaker impedance devide by the Amps Internal output impedance. As you might have Gessed the same relationship exsist Between a Pair of Headphones and it'g amp's Output Impedance. It is well understood that a High damping factor is Needed to maintain Adiquate controll over the Electromagnetic Driver. This is possible because of the Electrical damping Afforded by the Amp. A simple and safe method of Observing The Effect of this damping is if You have a unmounted Woofer That has a Good Voice Coil that dose not rub. Simply Gently Press on the Cone around the Voice Coil area and note how mutch resistence the cone offers to movement. Then short the Voice Coils + & - Termanals together and Notice the Increce in Resistence to movement. this is what High Damping factor Gives. Hope this helps.

Nov 23, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 11
He got it by requesting JMT (another Head-fi member) to make him an amp. You can send a PM (private message) or e-mail JMT for more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back