My IMP-350 sucks...possible replacements?
Apr 22, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
I knew I shouldn't have gotten a CD-based MP3 player, but back in August last year it was all I could afford. Luckily I got the Best Buy extended warranty on it so I can at least get exchange value for it. The battery life is way too short and it rarely plays even a single disc correctly, it often can't get through an entire MP3 track. It also skips horribly. And I didn't even mention the annoying hiss from the very wimpy headphone out. I have tried at least 4 or 5 firmware versions since I got it and nothing has helped it. Some days I feel like throwing it in the trash.

So I am looking for a new player. It has to have at least 8 hours of real world battery life, at least 1GB of capacity, be at least PDA size or smaller or have a remote, have a good headphone out, and be able to play any MP3 file foobar2000 or Winamp can play without trouble. Also, it has to be able to be obtained at Best Buy (I'm using the extended warranty for my IMP-350 which gives me $130 exchange value) and preferably cost under $250. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Wow, I quite surprised that your iRiver player is giving you so many problems. I think most iRiver owners are pretty happy with their gear.

The new HI-MD that's due out in the next month fits your criteria, but I'm not sure how you feel about using MD. Also if you have a lot of mp3's you'll have to transcode them and lose a bit of quality in the process.

I have an iPod and I'm pretty frustrated by the battery issues. I use high bit rate files so I never get 8 hrs. of battery life.

Under $250 and 1GB pretty much rules out any flash player.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 12
Hmm, that sounds pretty bad. Are you sure you didn't get a defective one or maybe you just need to clean the lens?
rolleyes.gif
iriver players are usually pretty dependable. I still have an old sp-90 (with firmware hack to sp-100) which is pretty much the same as the iriver imp-100, and its still working well.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 12
I had an IMP-350 too. I feel your pain. Luckily, I sold that skip-loving player on eBay
smily_headphones1.gif
and I got an iPod 15GB. Realistically, for you, I'd recommend an iPod mini, although they're in short supply at this moment, which will run you about $250. Or, if you need more space, get an iPod 10GB @ applestore.com ("Special Deals" section, shows up from time to time).

iPod mini
  1. ~8 hours battery life
  2. 4GB
  3. very small (~bar-type cell-phone size)
  4. $250 retail
  5. plays all types of mp3s (VBR, CBR, ABR), but doesn't play gaplessly

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 12
My IMP-350 has worked like a champ since day one, and that was 1095 + days ago ! I've never had it skip on me once, and it never rejected any of my dirty discs. I've never even cleaned its lense. I guess some people are just cursed when it comes to electronics. I used to be one of those people. I mostly use my IHP-120 now, but there are times when I'll prefer to listen to a CD, and there it is, ol' faithful.

Sorry man.

Apr 22, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 12
What about streching it the budget $50 and get a Karma? or you could get a Nitrus for 200?
The mini iPod is pretty cool too, and - proberbly - a better deal then the Nitrus. You could also look for a 2nd hand hdd player here or @ ipodlounge. Or ebay

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 12
unless you want a defective product, do not buy the ipod mini. it has a defect in the headphone jack anf it will probably only last 30 days if you are considering to buy one. check out the ipod lounge forums.

Apr 23, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by megamagic
Hmm, that sounds pretty bad. Are you sure you didn't get a defective one or maybe you just need to clean the lens?
rolleyes.gif
iriver players are usually pretty dependable. I still have an old sp-90 (with firmware hack to sp-100) which is pretty much the same as the iriver imp-100, and its still working well.

My SP-90, hacked to the IMP-100 like yours, worked well for the year or so I had it, although it went through a lot of use. It never had issues playing any MP3 file, although it did skip a bit towards the end. The IMP-350 has been having problems since day one and I'm not even sure why I kept it except that there weren't many choices in that price range.

Watchdog, I have a Sony MZ-S1 MD player that I really liked, but the left channel headphone out went bad and even though I was still in warranty Sony wanted almost $90 to fix it and the place I bought it from refused to help me. The only Sony product I have good luck with in the last few years is my CLIE PDA, which works fine after a year and a half. Everything else I have from Sony has broken or stopped functioning enough to make it unusable.

The iPod mini looks nice, and seems like a good deal, but my concern is with having to use iTunes with it. If third-party software is able to be used with it, like on the regular iPod, then that'd be great since I don't like using proprietary jukebox software for music management. The Rio HD players also are interesting but you have to use MusicMatch Jukebox with them, last time I checked, which rules them out since MMJB is crash-prone and poorly written software. Thanks for the responses so far, and keep 'em coming.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
The iPod mini looks nice, and seems like a good deal, but my concern is with having to use iTunes with it. If third-party software is able to be used with it, like on the regular iPod, then that'd be great since I don't like using proprietary jukebox software for music management.

AFAIK, any third-party music management software that works with a 3rd-generation full-size iPod will also work with the iPod mini.

Apr 23, 2004 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Flash, I highly doubt that you could find one in your price range from BBs. If they ever did stock Creative's MuVo X-Trainer or such, that may be in your price range...

Other than that, if you don't mind using mini HD players, the Rio Nitrus is well within your price. The 4GB version is coming soon, but, coming soon could very well be this Christmas for all we know.

I would've also suggested a HiMD device, but considering you and Sony units don't get along at all (much like your SlimX), I'd rather not.

But then again, you could leverage your SlimX for a new Clie Models and a new Memory Stick Pros. Granted, the new clie itself would blow you out of your budget, but its something to think about as well. If you do go this route, make sure to get a model that can handle Memory Stick Pro sticks.

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damage
But then again, you could leverage your SlimX for a new Clie Models and a new Memory Stick Pros. Granted, the new clie itself would blow you out of your budget, but its something to think about as well. If you do go this route, make sure to get a model that can handle Memory Stick Pro sticks.

That has been a consideration for me since my CLIE SJ30 is a bit old due to the Palm OS advancing so far in the last year or so. Unlike most Sony products and me, my CLIE has been flawless in operation and for a handheld I have no problem at all going with another Sony. Cost is the main issue, of course, but at least I would kill two birds with one stone. The TJ37 looks pretty good, the wifi feature is really neat although the camera would be useless to me. NewEgg has good prices on the flash media, a Lexar 256MB MS Pro goes for less than $70. But it'd be a while before I could swing it, and storage capacity would be a bit limited. Do the Sony CLIEs have good headphone outs?

Apr 25, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 12
Note quite sure, but I'm sure they're limited to the same old anemic 5mW+5mW like most Sony portables these days. For your reference, I have the NRU-60 (the first flip model sans camera) that I got in its twilight, and I've really nothing to complain about the output either. Of course, even the cheapest Clie these days outclass my poor Clie. But, for the money, nothing out there really has the ergonomics nor the form factor of that little beauty.

Those Clie's are really something amazing, probably one of the best Sony products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back