My HTPC sounds terrible!!
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

davidw89

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a 40" Samsung Series 6 connected via HDMI (both audio and video) directly to the new home built HTPC. Both the Samsung TV and the COmputer have Optical/SPDIF, which could be utilised at a later stage. There is little to no room for a speaker (i will take photos later on, maybe for a small speaker..), and the sound that comes out of the the TV is just poor. What would be the best course of action?

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 9
so like

TV --> Optical/SPDIF ---> external Dac ---> ???

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so like

TV --> Optical/SPDIF ---> external Dac ---> ???

Yes babe.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Wait, Mellow Mushroom your recommendation does not make sense. He is using a digital output to his computer why would he need a DAC? Perhaps his TV DAC decoder isn't that great but I don't that's the issue here. I think there are two reasons that your current setup may have problems.

1. Your soundcard is somehow affecting the bitstream and is creating crappy sound. Details on your rig might be nice.

2. Your TV speakers are terrible and there is nothing u can do about that unless you get external speakers XD

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 9
An external DAC out of a TV speaker achieves very little.

There are some really neat low profile speaker options you might be interested in. Some are pretty pricy, but I'll not assume your budget.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm almost positive it's the speakers unless it's like stuttering and such. Just poor sound quality is almost for sure because of the speakers. They're considered poor quality by your average joe so go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back