My honest and different view on music and quality. What's yours?
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mach Supremacy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I just wanted to spread my view point on music and quality. Sure, having a multi hundred(or even thousand) dollar music system can cause great joy among anything. Also the feeling of having "that awesome tube amp that everyone wants but can't afford along with my sennheiser HD800 audiophile headphones" can feel great. I realize that. But isn't there something beyond quality?

So there's a guy. All he does is try to achieve the clearest, most perfect pristine sound that he can achieve. "Then I can listen to music and actually enjoy it!" he says. But he can't. there's always something different. New. Innovative. And he just can't get that 'prefect experience'.

Meanwhile, there's another guy. He loves music to death, it's his life. But this guy doesn't care about that massive soundstage. No he doesn't even care if the bass is muddy. He just thoroughly enjoys it. He can cry to his favorite acoustic album while rocking his Apple ear buds that have gone through the wash a few times. He just GETS into the music. Instead of buying expensive equipment he goes and supports indie artists and enjoys the feeling of going to awesome live concerts.

Of course you can have the best of both worlds. But can't you enjoy the music with Bose or...-shivers- Beats headphones? You don't have to be a stickler for FLAC files to love music. You can enjoy what's inside the music, not just what it's playing through.

There's my one and a half cents, what do you think?
disagreement welcome.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 17
popcorn.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 17
The purpose of head-fi is to discuss about headphones and make money for the sponsors. (and Jude)

Now you better understand that there is no such a thing as "good enough". And who listens to music anyway? I prefer listening to passing cars on my binaural recordings.

I don't care if someone wants to spend big bucks for a good system, if they have the money, but I start hating them when they get all mental and start telling me their cables make significant differences on sound quality.

Feb 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 17
I enjoy music through my iPad + Apple earbuds just as much as through my $5000 Stax rig. 
size]

I used to chase after sound quality, to 'get the most out of my music', but eventually, I just started to not give a damn anymore, and just to enjoy things for what they are.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 17
Originally Posted by Mach Supremacy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See that's what I like to hear
smily_headphones1.gif
a great sounding system is great but...music is music
biggrin.gif

All I listen to nowadays are amateur fan covers of songs on YouTube.  As you can imagine, the quality is pretty terrible more often than not, but that doesn't stop be rocking out. 
size]

I'm scared to go to a meet because I think I'll get shot by audiophiles for 'wasting' such a high end rig. 
size]

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 17
Best of both worlds honestly isn't that hard to accomplish so long as you keep your goal in mind - My goal is to enjoy music to the fullest by hearing the recorded track as the artist intended.

Music is perfectly enjoyable to me with headphones around the ~$250-$350 range. The Senn 598/Momentums directly plugged in to a source get me there. They're probably around 70-80% "there" compared to a proper Senn 800 setup, which is more than enough for me most of the time. Dimishing returns kick in hard after this price point IMO. I end up using them at home every now and again simply because of how convenient they are. I only bother with the Senn 800 when I'm putting time aside solely for music appreciation - if I'm multi-tasking it's almost never worth it.

Can't say it's easy to enjoy music with <$100 headphones though. Call me spoiled, haven't heard anything at that price point that could satisfy me.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 17
I guess for some, once you go hi-fi you never go back! Oh well I'm more than satisfied with my Senn hd439s, maybe I'll get something a little bit pricier. I've listened to very expensive headphones and my thoughts were "ya it sounds good but this is terrible music you're playing" :)

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

All I listen to nowadays are amateur fan covers of songs on YouTube.  As you can imagine, the quality is pretty terrible more often than not, but that doesn't stop be rocking out. 
size]

I'm scared to go to a meet because I think I'll get shot by audiophiles for 'wasting' such a high end rig. 
size]

I do that a lot. Some of it is quite good, more so because a drunk mixing engineer hasn't royally ruined it or the person hasn't used 11 mics per person. If they have a high fidelity download instead of the youtube song, I'll tend towards buying that instead.

A large amount of busier music is very difficult to listen to with lower end gear or gear with large flaws(treble peaks-Ultrasone, completely missing frequency ranges-B&O P5, etc) as that's all I can focus on. However that isn't to say that lower end gear doesn't have a place, I like to use my less revealing stuff for music that was badly recorded or mastered.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 17
All of my friends are really into music, some play instruments, only one other person cares about headphone sound quality, the rest of them couldn't care less.  I've never quite understand that line of thinking seeing how into music they are, some musicians.  I think I've finally found my happy spot, and I'm done chasing after the biggest and the best.  I got quite obsessed and was on my way to owning 3 or 4 flagships, but I just got tired of chasing after that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back