My headphone history, and looking for good, budget in-ears...
Mar 8, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
If you didn't like the CKS50s I doubt that you'll enjoy the CKM50s. Their recessed mids make them unsuitable for music with heavy instrumentation, so classical is definitely out of the question, and multiple guitars playing simultaneously in rock music will sounded blended together. The thin and sparkly trebles also make them unsuitable for female vocals, as they will sound fatiguing through these IEMs. The bass is obviously boosted, and while it does have that sort of boomy sound that works well with dubstep, it just doesn't have the detail that a lot of other IEMs have. They're more of a beginner's IEM in my opinion due to their v-shaped sound signature with much emphasis on bass.

Thanks! They do ship to the UK but at $26 for shipping, it's not worth it :p

I'm still leaning towards SM E10s as I look through the forums (and as they are in stock) but would definitely be willing to try Dunu Tridents if Frogbeats had them in stock!

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Thanks! They do ship to the UK but at $26 for shipping, it's not worth it :p

I'm still leaning towards SM E10s as I look through the forums (and as they are in stock) but would definitely be willing to try Dunu Tridents if Frogbeats had them in stock!

You could pay someone in the US to buy it off Amazon and send it through First Class Mail International Parcel. I know that you're not buying the CKM50s, but if you're willing to circumvent Amazon's shipping policy in the future this would be a good method.

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-international.htm?

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:

You could pay someone in the US to buy it off Amazon and send it through First Class Mail International Parcel. I know that you're not buying the CKM50s, but if you're willing to circumvent Amazon's shipping policy in the future this would be a good method.

https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-international.htm?

Thanks mbamg, I am going to go for the JVCs I think. I should stick to "cheap, fun and resilient" which is what these seem to be able to do. They'll be just fine for me :wink:

Thanks everyone for your help! The CKS77 was tempting but too much, and again the E10s tempting but at double the price of the JVCs I thought I'd give the bass-monsters a go :wink:

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 25
So, I've had my FX1X's for some time now and feel they are well worth the money.  They're no CK7s but they're superb at handling bass, which has settled down a bit if I'm honest, giving way to better mids and highs.  Soundstage isn't quite as wide as I've experienced before, but nothing too appalling.

Durability-wise, these have taken a beating over the past few months, being worn almost daily, dropping sometimes from my ears, hitting the floor etc.  It's led to the connector getting loose and the sound disappearing sometimes.  I have since pushed it tight back in and secured with black electrical tape.  It looks a little weird but it's fixed it for now.

So, I'm looking for something cheap to buy as a good replacement/addition to spread the burden these beauties have taken on.
Also, something that looks a little less "Beats".  I have seen at least 5 of these on different people during various commutes in and out of London now.  They're catching!

I've seen things about the FX101s and others like Monoprice 8320s, but accepting other suggestions.  The 101s have smaller drivers, the 8320s are not available easily in the UK, plus they seem a little less complete as a package.

Any ideas? :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 25
i owned the shl 8800, and they were just a horrible piece of headset i used to listen to low quality music with or watch you tube videos and movies with .. 

bass was thin, but whenever it showed body it was really muddy... 

i eventually sock-modded them and the bass became better, and the sound became more warm... i liked it this way. 

however i 've to tell that they were superbly durable!! 

for 12 pounds you can get the sony mh1c... this is one of the best earphones i've come across ...bassy signature but the over sound and balance is simply outstanding ..
i slightly prefer them over the shure se 535 imho!! 

this is an iem with essentially no flaws, a superb build as well if you ask me! 

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #22 of 25
Nov 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #23 of 25
Thanks turgid for the info; will check them out.  Been off the radar for a bit.

Listening to London Elektricity on the way home from work yesterday I renewed my appreciation for my JVCs again. Great stuff.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #24 of 25
Beyerdynamic XP1 will satisfy your bass needs, XP2 is still warm and bassy but has better mids and highs (mine are for sale, $45 each)

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #25 of 25
Hi, randomkid, thanks for the offer, good luck on the sale, but not looking to spend that much.  Always looking to go cheap as hell but good sound for the very reason that I break them all the time.

The red FX1X's finally gave way, after getting tugged hard on the chaotic London Underground.

I ordered the FX101s last night (in green of all colours lol) and they arrived today.

First impressions - well it is obvious why they are cheaper.  Cord is nowhere near as good as the FX1Xs and it has no case.  Feels weaker altogether, but may still be durable enough.

Popping them in out of the box the trebles were a bit fierce with mids sounding flat.  The bass is still there but totally different to the FX1Xs.  Capable but not booming.
Small amount of white noise and a few tracks later but not much change.  EQ on J3 taking care of issues with them for now.
They take a fair bit more to get the same volume out of them.  The J3 on 16-18 is perfect for the FX1Xs but the FX101s are on 20-22 at the moment.

That being said, magic can be heard with good quality tracks already.  AC/DC + FLAC works for them.  Sound stage is wider than on the FX1Xs and also a little more detail can be heard.
I think they will be fine and are worth the money paid.  Can't wait until I burn them in properly.
They can take any bass tester thrown at them so far and the mid bass is punchier than the FX1Xs.  Could be interesting.  Overall looking forward to my time with these!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back