My Headmaster hums, does yours?
Nov 1, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Yup, hum still exists, no more no less. Any idea please?

Try a different power cable. If that doesn't work, try it at a different location altogether. I've had lots of funky power stuff so I'm just trying to cover all the bases before we default to a problem with the amp.

Nov 1, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Try a different power cable. If that doesn't work, try it at a different location altogether. I've had lots of funky power stuff so I'm just trying to cover all the bases before we default to a problem with the amp.

Just tried a different cable, hum still there. I'll try a different outlet tomorrow.

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 39
A ground loop is not necessarily a fault with anything. They happen. The Headroom Max has a switch in the back to disconnect the ground, which makes it very simple to cure hum problems if a ground loop pops up. A "cheater plug" works just as well.

Nov 1, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 39
With only the amp alone, there should be no ground loop, right? However I still get hum, are there other cause of hum other than ground loop? Or there's a ground loop within the amp itself?
confused.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

With only the amp alone, there should be no ground loop, right? However I still get hum, are there other cause of hum other than ground loop? Or there's a ground loop within the amp itself?
confused.gif

I went through this when I auditioned the Max. It did the same thing, but floating the ground fixed the problem (the switch on the amp to float the ground was an indicator that it's fairly common). I'm not 100% sure that you've got the same issue, but it certainly sounds like it. Radio Shack has a very liberal return policy if the two-prong plug doesn't work.

Nov 2, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 39
Ok, I came home with a 2-prong adaptor from radio shack. Nop, it still hums. I moved the amp from room to room and tried different outlets. It doesn't matter, still hums. Nothing gets rid of the hum, I'm having a terrible humming nightmare!

I have no idea what else to do. I guess I'll email Sugden and see how (and if) they respond.

Please let me know if you have any idea. Thanks.

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Ok, I came home with a 2-prong adaptor from radio shack. Nop, it still hums. I moved the amp from room to room and tried different outlets. It doesn't matter, still hums. Nothing gets rid of the hum, I'm having a terrible humming nightmare!

I have no idea what else to do. I guess I'll email Sugden and see how (and if) they respond.

Please let me know if you have any idea. Thanks.

At this point I can't think of anything to do besides getting in touch with Sugden. It sounds like there's an internal ground problem.

Nov 2, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 39
have you tried equalizing the masses between the components by taking some cable (cinch works fine...) and touching a conductive part of each while keeping one tip in contact with the sugden's frame ?
(this solved my initial sugden humming problem...)

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #28 of 39
frown.gif

I seem to have this problem with a sansui AU70 old tube amp....

The hum can only be detected at the headphone out....

I have tried all the methods listed above and even change the whole set of tubes....but its still doesnt help

At least Gergor can still contact Sugden......

Nov 2, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by mattbr
have you tried equalizing the masses between the components by taking some cable (cinch works fine...) and touching a conductive part of each while keeping one tip in contact with the sugden's frame ?
(this solved my initial sugden humming problem...)

Could you please explain a little bit more in detail about what needs to be done? I'm sorry I got a little confused about the explaination here. Thanks.

Nov 3, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 39
I think it's the grounding problem.

I had the same problem before with my SAC amp.
A local shop owner told me to ground the amp.

So I connected the amp and the window steel frame with a cheap speaker cable.
Then I stuck the amp a little bit out of the sill so the bottom of the amp will touch the sill.
Amazingly, it worked. (though I still don't know why)

Hopefully it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back