My HD650 sounds horrible...
Nov 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #31 of 46
Guys, it's not a defective pair. I was just saying that I was amused to experience the process of burning-in my Senns, as lots of people have already stated here.

I've made an extensive burn-in last week, leaving it on with pink noise for almost 80 straight hours( leaing some silence signals in the playlist ).

The headphone really became better, but the bass was somehow strange, so I decided to use some white noise too in the playlist, and I can say that the headphone is really shining now. The bass got very tight, yet deep, and the airness has became much much better.

I won't afford to improve my source now, but I'm waiting for a Meier Cantate to arrive home anyday now. I'm assuming it will have a lot more juice to drive my cans than the 2Move, although it, in high current mode, has done a great job until now. But, people always say that the better amp you have, the better HD650 will sound. It just seems to have no limits. So I'm trying it, and I hope to be right.

Ears fatigue is a good reason to have strange experiences with headphones too.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #33 of 46
Oh, please don't get me wrong. Before buying them I researched a lot and I knew I'd like its sound signature. I love them, and I really think they are shining now, after some proper burn-in. I really hope the Cantate can make it even better.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #36 of 46
Cool, welcome to the "corda & HD 650" club
biggrin.gif

It will be cool to hear of your experiences with the Cantate once you get to test it out properly with the HD 650. I went back and forth between different amp choices, until I decided to go with the Opera, lucky me, Meier had such an awesome sale on it back then
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want you can read of my experiences about my main rig here
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the 650s with your SR-71a?

Not yet, since I mainly use my SR-71A with my iPod, and I don't think the HD650 will have a good sinergy with this rig. But I'll try it just out of curiosity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will sound better with the Meier, your on the right track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, welcome to the "corda & HD 650" club
biggrin.gif

It will be cool to hear of your experiences with the Cantate once you get to test it out properly with the HD 650. I went back and forth between different amp choices, until I decided to go with the Opera, lucky me, Meier had such an awesome sale on it back then
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want you can read of my experiences about my main rig here
wink.gif

Thanks guys, I'm also looking forward to check the sinergy between the Corda and the Sennheiser. Jan really makes excellent amps for very reasonable prices. I just wish I could afford a Symphony, but oh well, a Cantate will do a great job I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the link Jaawa!

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #38 of 46
the hd650s IMHO didn't shine until I got the GS-1...on many other amps I tried them with they were just too warm, bassy and lacked focus and detail...the GS-1 with the DAC1 USB created a wonderful lush sound....it was night and day for me.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #39 of 46
I wish I could get an amp like the GS-1, but I think that the Cantate will do a great job, being a solid state as well.

A friend of mine has also said that he gets too much warm and dark sound from his HD650 using tube amps.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone really became better, but the bass was somehow strange, so I decided to use some white noise too in the playlist, and I can say that the headphone is really shining now. The bass got very tight, yet deep, and the airness has became much much better.

What? Pink noise wasn't working for the bass so you used white noise and now it's better? Did I understand that right?

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? Pink noise wasn't working for the bass so you used white noise and now it's better? Did I understand that right?

Yeah now that I read his post again with thought, that seems pretty odd to me too.

Pink noise is white noise + lower frequencies, it's simply better than white noise for burn-in IMO.

Also, what strikes me as a bit of an odd thing is this "( leaing some silence signals in the playlist )". Because what I've always thought is that another very important part of the burn-in process is the 24/7 continuity of the burn-in material playback, pink noise is what I use and it's constant.

Nov 26, 2008 at 10:37 AM Post #42 of 46
dadozen, you've probably thought of this, but just in case --

when using computer as source via USB, turn the volume of your software music player all the way up to max. But be sure to turn the volume on your external DAC/amp down to zero before you plug your HD650 in. After you click on play, gradually turn the volume of the DAC/amp up until you're comfortable. My HD650 sounds fuzzy in the bass when I forget to slide the Foobar2000 volume to max. BTW, the HD650 is a great choice. I keep returning to it after I try other cans. It's a keeper.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No. You understood it totally wrong. And I never said that pink noise wasn't working for bass. I just found it somehow strange. Maybe the headphones still needed more pink noise burn-in when I had that feeling, but I decided to add white noise to "open" the highs and mids as well.
That's what I did, while it still had pink noise most of the time.
So I used:

White Noise( 30% of the time ) + Pink Noise( 70% of the time ).

What's so hard to understand about that?

@Jaawa: I've read sometimes that some "rest" for the headphones is important as well. So I just feel more comfortable leaving some silence signals
smily_headphones1.gif

@ feifan: don't worry, those are my usual habits when starting to listen to my headphones. Max volume at laptop( software ) -> turn the amp on-> gradually turn up the volume -> have fun!
biggrin.gif
Thanks anyways for the tip
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could get an amp like the GS-1, but I think that the Cantate will do a great job, being a solid state as well.

A friend of mine has also said that he gets too much warm and dark sound from his HD650 using tube amps.

Strange, most like the hd650 with tube amps. Also there are some tubes that are really clean, and there are warm sounding SS amps.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink noise is white noise + lower frequencies, it's simply better than white noise for burn-in IMO.

White noise is all frequencies at equal levels.

Pink noise is all frequencies, where higher frequencies roll off at 6dB/octave.

Both contain lower frequencies, but in the pink noise, the lows are emphasized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back