My HD 600s have arrived [in need of amp]
Jan 29, 2002 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
It only took them one week to get here from Mier Audio. They sound pretty good. However, there is no question they should sound better. My sources probably are not up to par yet. I have a pretty nice Maranzt reciever, but no amp to go with it, and I have a pcdp with a Porta Corda amp. I am convinced that these phones will not perform at their best with a portable cb player even with the Porta Corda because they sound better coming out of my Marantz receiver with no amp. Ok, so I guess next step would be to get a good amp with my Marantz. I can spend around 400 on one. Any suggestions? One more thing, I have the Sony D25s coming. If this pcdp has more power, then would the amp perfom better too? If that is the case then maybe my HD 600s could sound pretty good with portable system.

Jan 29, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 22
Why don't you try your PortaCorda in conjunction with your receiver? I'm running a CHA 47 through a tape out on my Carver with a pair of Ety ER-4's and it sounds great!

I have an RA-1 and a set of HD600s coming from HeadRoom and I plan on operating as above even though the RA-1 is considered a "portable". I'm expecting good things.

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 22
You are right in your assessments.

I'll second the RA-1/600 combo. (even though I don't consider the ra-1 a portable!
wink.gif
)I have heard it and it sounds great.
smily_headphones1.gif

The regular Corda has received great reviews also and is well within your price range.

A tube amp would be a good choice since the 600 do match well with tube gear but the sound may or may not be to your liking and there is maintenance involved. (Tube swapping)

Also don't forget the Headroom offerings.
They are all good amps with the potential for upgrades later on if you wish.

Jan 29, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 22
Where are you located? I checked your profile...

I ordered from Jan a couple weeks ago (and a Corda too...
cool.gif
) but I'm still waiting for them to arrive in San Diego
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 22
For $400, I would seriously consider adding another $50 and going for the HeadRoom Little w/ More Power.

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0010010015

The nice thing about this is that if you decide to upgrade in the future, you can simply replace the internal electronics and get an amp comparable to HeadRoom's $1000 Maxed Out Home.

Plus the HD600 are HeadRoom's favorite headphones, so you know the Little works well with them
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 22
Kieran, I merged your two threads and moved them to the "Amps" section. Please reply within the same thread rather than starting a new one. Thanks.\

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 22
My recently received Peppermint JMT (thanks again Jon) sounds very nice with my Marantz CDP and HD600's - diminishing returns already kicking in. JMT altoids (CHA 47) is very nice, you get better, but are you prepared to pay the premium. Not long into headphone systems but based on speaker systems you can always improve - but is it worth the dosh.

I have a Rega Ear and owned a working MF X-Cans V2 for a few days. The MF was no better (maybe very slightly) than the Rega and the Rega is no major step ahead (if any) of the JMT.

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 22
I recommend the home Corda amp for the HD600s.

Jan 30, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 22
i too find that the porta corda just doesn't drive my hd600's well enough.. course that's just my opinion. they sound unbelievably warm and lush through my mg head dt though. i'd really recommend them with that, the bass is just hypnotizing and feels like it engulfs me as i listen to albums again and again.

Jan 31, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 22
After three years of looking and listening I came up witht the HD600 and the ASL MG Head DT(they now offer an OTL version).

This set-up is the best under 1kCDN set-up I've herd...which is why I bought it. The headphones beat anything in their class...so does the amp...plus the MG Head is a nice conversation piece for the non audio guest. It can also be used as a preamp...

MG Head: http://www.divertech.com/mgheaddt.html

Jan 31, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 22
I've used three amps in the price range you're looking at that I would recommend with HD-600's.

Grado RA-1: best all around performer in this price range I've tried. Portable (more or less). Get this and a pair of Plainview 9v batteries+charger and have fun.

Musical Fidelity X-Can v2: With the right tubes, this amp can sing. This amp's midrange can be stunning. The downside is that it's very finicky. If there's something off in your system, this amp will tell you about it, and will not sound good.

Creek OBH-11se: Class A solid state amp. Very detailed, good low end extension, and a consistent performer. I will admit to a preference for the other two, however. It's a solid state amp, while I'm becoming a tube-a-holic. (The Grado is solid state, too, it just doesn't sound like it)

There are other good recommendations in this thread: these are the ones I have owned and can recommend.

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #15 of 22
Of the amps I have owned in the $300 range I would suggest the MG Head. Fat sound and lean price. My only beef with the Head is the build quality... but I guess thats how they keep the prices low.

Iowa, ahh yeah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back