My hard drive is clicking at me. How long do I have before a fatal head crash?
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
I think it started last week but I'm not sure. It's my work computer, and my data is all stored on a network, so no worries there. However, I've got a whole crapload of things to do this week, and if I have to spend 75% of a day reinstalling Windows and all my programs on a new hard drive, it's not a great thing.

Take a wild guess: will my HDD take me through this week?

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 34
Hmm, I would not want to trust it if you have anything important, but i'd say you probably have around 2 weeks from when it started clicking, so yea you may be able to squeak through this week. Make sure its not a fan or a loose screw or something before you go through all that hassle.

Dave

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 34
The problem is that you'll have to do all that stuff anyway if your drive goes down. I can promise that it will die at a very inconvenient time, because they always do. I don't know much about Windows, but can't you just clone a drive? I'd clone one then keep the other around as a backup. Also, I think some new SSD drives came on the market recently. IIRC, you can get a 60GB drive for $150.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 34
It's best if you can manage to ghost/image/clone the dying harddrive to another one without data corruption. Acronis True Image is a good one for this purpose but is not free. I googled and found a free one called HDClone.

There is an interesting story about failed harddrive, a producer record for a band and the session took 1month, he didn't make a back up and lost all the recordings.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it started last week but I'm not sure. It's my work computer, and my data is all stored on a network, so no worries there. However, I've got a whole crapload of things to do this week, and if I have to spend 75% of a day reinstalling Windows and all my programs on a new hard drive, it's not a great thing.

Take a wild guess: will my HDD take me through this week?

It will screw you when your trying to leave on Friday. I guarantee it.
cool.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will screw you when your trying to leave on Friday. I guarantee it.
cool.gif

That would augment rather than hinder my attempts to leave.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would augment rather than hinder my attempts to leave.
tongue_smile.gif

Someone you work for will want something last minute and it will explode 10 minutes later.
devil_face.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 34
well... sometimes you may not notice it, but from my understanding, some of thew newer (with in the last two years) Seagate hard drive clicks on boot up and make some loud spining noise on shut down

(trust me, I return two driver, and finally google it and found out that its simply a design flaw)

but if that's not it.... which means your hard drive is going to die

then I strongly suggest you to get a new hard drive, and copy all the data to it. Norton Ghost is pretty easy to use and set up

you can also try the native program provide by hard drive manufacturers. Most of their official web site will give you a cloning software, just not too sure how acurate it is

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 34
I would make an image of the drive right now, put it on the network if you can. Or go get a new hard drive in your lunch break and get copying. A clicking drive may be OK for a month or more, maybe a day, who knows. But I'd make a copy ASAP to save you the hassle of reinstalling everything.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 34
Do it now!!

I've had so many hard drive click problems.... and I have way too many bricked hard drives over the years. It'll last you 1 week average from first click, but time flies. Copy all your essentials now.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 34
Nope, I'm only doing it this week if the present one crashes. A new HDD has been ordered and should be here by the end of the week for a Monday or Tuesday installation next week. Hopefully I can just clone my present disk at that point, because I've got way too many non-standard programs on this machine - to rebuild it entirely would take megatime.

Anyway, Day 1 is over. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 34
Download 'HD Tune' and run scans..

it ll tell u how much damaged it is and where it is damaged.

u can then use Syncback to backup all data on external HDD.

or u can clone your HDD using Acronis True Image..which works for 15 days i think..so u have 2 weeks to use the clone copy..enuff time i think for one time use.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 34
14 hours, 56 minutes and 12 seconds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back