My handmade Grado leather headband (with pics!)
May 9, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #19 of 32
great great work! i think i'll try smt like that with mine!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could make serious cash selling this headband
smily_headphones1.gif

second that:With all those HF-1 owners we have here
lambda.gif

May 10, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback guys.

If I only had a sewing machine and the know how to use one.
biggrin.gif
It actually holds together quite well as is. With my luck, the person I "hire" to do the stitching will do a sloppy job after I made everything "perfect."

LOL. Took me a while to figure what you were referring to.
biggrin.gif
I didn't even see the shoes in the pic in the other thread. The secret is to wear latex gloves when spiffing up all my shoes.

If you do have it done, have someone that makes quality belts or bags do it. They should do a good stitching job as they are or should be used to stiching along the edge. I used to make belts, bags and saddles professionally and with what you need it should take no time at all but they will need a machine with an arm because of the curved headband.

May 10, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #24 of 32
How bout we set up a small business. kontai69 will fabricate the premade headbands and outsource the stitching to jamato8. Then I buy them for wholesale price and sell them off for a small profit. I'll be the UK authorised dealer
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #25 of 32
Here is a pic that I took in which you can see the difference between the OEM Grado headband (on MS-Pro) vs. the one that I made (on MS-1)...
MS-ProandMS-1B-1.jpg

My MS-Pro headband is an older version made of VERY thin leather with a wide stitch (which tends to unravel). The padding is also very thin. The headband on newer Grados are now made of a thicker and shinier leather with a tighter stitch and thicker padding.

I've noticed that the foam (from Grado packaging) that I used in my homemade headband tends to compress too much. I'm looking to find a more dense foam.

May 10, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #27 of 32
Oh, yeah...Fine job indeed, thanx for sharing kontai69
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-ProandMS-1B.jpg

Yours is far superior, very nice.

May 10, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #29 of 32
Wow, that's simply amazing. The only thing I'd say about it is that you should try to create that sort of "ruffle" effect, where the leather doesn't stay perfectly flat throughout the headband. For some reason, your version is almost too clean and professional; the original one looks somehow more fitting on the MS-Pro.

But that's just me being extreme nit-picky, as I could never make such a thing and have it look as good as you did. Overall great work.

May 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #30 of 32
I got around to making another headband this past weekend. This time I used thick velvet as padding instead of foam I cut from the Grado packaging. Here is a pic...
IMG_3072.jpg

I managed to recreate a slight ruffle effect as mentioned above. It is also more comfy than my older foam padded version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back