My grandfather is an audiophile...
Aug 7, 2005 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fante7

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've always known that my grandfather is a full-blown audiophile. I was just talking with my father about audio equipment, and he mentioned that my grandfather has one of the best turntables in the world. I think he might have the Proscenium. I am definitely going to have to ask him about it and maybe listen to this legendary piece of equipment if he still has it set up. I don't know if he's ever really looked into headphones. Maybe I can convince him to buy an HE90
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 16
What on God's green Earth is Proscenium? Some rare form of Unobtanium?

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 16
dude, as i told you before, go there and see for yourself, if he is not home, just sneak from the back door
very_evil_smiley.gif

/sarcasm

but seriously, if he really has, it would be so cool. we should make a meet at his house if he got it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 16
it sounds like you don't know your grandfather very well? Seems like you now have a common interest. Take advantage before it's too late.

Aug 7, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 16
Okay, I was mistaken. He has a bunch of good equipment but not that particular turntable. He has a good older turntable but nothing nearly as good as the Proscenium. Oops
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 16
So which one DOES he have?--now we are curious!

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Looks like a suprise Pittsburgh meet is in order...at your Grandfather's house
orphsmile.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 16
Jeff makes a good point. I was lucky 2 of my 4 grandparents lived in a home on our farm for their last 15 or so years and I got to know them well. It is amazing what you can learn from parents or grandparents if you are willing to take the time. I had a neighbor that recently passed and it was only after he was gone that I learned of his interest in audio. His wife also told me stories of his time in England working on the development of radar.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
Jeff makes a good point. I was lucky 2 of my 4 grandparents lived in a home on our farm for their last 15 or so years and I got to know them well. It is amazing what you can learn from parents or grandparents if you are willing to take the time. I had a neighbor that recently passed and it was only after he was gone that I learned of his interest in audio. His wife also told me stories of his time in England working on the development of radar.

I completely agree... my 88 year old grandparents are up for the weekend (drove to NJ from Indiana
eek.gif
) anyway my grandpa was just telling me about the first pair of wireless headphones he made... ran some wire from an amp around some large room a few times and went down stairs and wraped some wire around his head to a pair of headphones and was able to pick it up... kinda like a ghetto radio, but before radio was widely used and/or invented
icon10.gif
he has so many great stories!

and now he keeps marveling on how such great sound can come from such little speakers and how he doesnt like stuff anymore becuase there are no wires anymore (PtoP) but these new printed circut boards
icon10.gif

oh yah and I got a talking to about having some Russian tubes when US made ones are so much better
icon10.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 16
Ditto what Jeff said.

Really, take advantage of the time with your grandfather while you can. I wish I could have had more time with mine.

Unless you guys don't get along, you have thing wonderful hobby to talk about, experience (on his rig) or maybe you could even introduce what you have to him.

Enjoy this opportunity.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 16
I'll ask him which particular one he has when he comes back from vacation. His house is in NY not Pittsburgh though
cool.gif

I'm pretty sure his speakers are Vandersteen however.

Aug 9, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fante7
Well, I've always known that my grandfather is a full-blown audiophile.

Wow! Think of the audiophile wisdom and experiences he has.

<<Cue up Mike & The Mechanics' "The Living Years">>

Take advantage of all that knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back