My Grado RS-1 with DIY pads
May 3, 2005 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sean-xenos

100+ Head-Fier
rs1smile.gif
Hi, I'd love to share the pictures of my Grado RS-1 with my newly built DIY pads.
They are ported pads (4 ports on each side, 7mm diameter) based on birch-wood and Beyerdynamic circumaural softskin pads.
I used a part of my my bowl pads to fit the new pads on the drivers. The foam is ported as well, just like the wooden part of the adapter.

The sound fits my personal tastes very well, clear and fast (Grado
icon10.gif
) highs, but without any harshness or shrillness, warm mids and a strong bass that is punchy but not boomy or exaggerated.

and

rs1smile.gif

May 3, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 13
That looks great!! Has a very natural look about it. Definately stays faithful to the Grado look. But the most important part is the sound, so if you can vouch for that then it was definately a successful mod. What brand of earpads are they?

May 3, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 13
funky! it's like a pleather shoe for your ear, with foam bowls for bobby socks!

May 3, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris
That looks great!! Has a very natural look about it. Definately stays faithful to the Grado look. But the most important part is the sound, so if you can vouch for that then it was definately a successful mod. What brand of earpads are they?

The earpads are Beyerdynamic softskin circumaural pads, cost about 13 Euro in Germany, originally they are made for the DT 880.

May 3, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Wow looks great!

I dont' suppose you'd be willing to create a page or write down the steps to do that DIY project for those of us who are interested in trying but have no experience...

May 4, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Yes, please post more pics! Also, could you please do a DIY guide for those of us who wish to attempt to make these. Please.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 13
I second the request for basic instructions. I'd like to give those a shot. I'm not sure if I'd like the wider soundstage than the stock SR60 pads provide, but they do look very good. I'd have to hear 'em to make a decision.

May 5, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 13
rs1smile.gif
Some more pics of my DIY pads:

The wooden part of the adapter is made of two layers of birch-plywood (each layer 3mm thick)

The earpads are beyerdynamic Softskin pads Nr 407119, the foam disks on the inside of the adapters are Beyerdynamic Nr 333395
The foam on the outside of the adapters is made of Grado bowl pads (yes, I sacrificed them for my DIY project)
biggrin.gif

Good luck with building your own pads
rs1smile.gif

May 5, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I second the request for basic instructions. I'd like to give those a shot. I'm not sure if I'd like the wider soundstage than the stock SR60 pads provide, but they do look very good. I'd have to hear 'em to make a decision.

I'll third that requst!
Oh man, I'd love some instructions on that too, it looks like a winner to me.

Late,
Abe

May 5, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
I'll third that requst!
Oh man, I'd love some instructions on that too, it looks like a winner to me.

Late,
Abe

rs1smile.gif
Hi, it's great that you like my DIY pads.

What kind of additional information do you need to build your own ones?

A step by step DIY guide takes some time and effort and I don't plan to build a second pair of earpads just to get additional pics for instructions.
I could use some drawings instead but have a close look at the pics first. I hoped that there would be enough information in them, the whole thing isn't really so complicated.
rs1smile.gif

May 5, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Well now that you mention it, it does seem pretty simple, although I'd take a more budget approach to it, using a plastic disc cut to spec superglued to a precut RS or HD414 pad. If I get the spare cash (I get a bad feeling I won't) I'll consider plunking down for the Beyer soft pads, or the flats if they are more perfect for my needs(does anyone know how long the TTVJ ones last?)

biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back