My Grado RS-1 arrived. Hmmn... not sure.
Dec 24, 2005 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Jeremy

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first upgrade since I got the SR-60 two years ago, which I still love. My main source is a Karma, so I purchased a Ray Samuels SR-71 amp also. The amp is excellent. It even brightens the SR-60.

But I have my doubts about the RS-1. Maybe I was expecting more, maybe it's because they haven't burnt in yet, but the highs hurt my ears, even with the volume low, which never happens with the SR-60s. (The sound of the RS-1 is otherwise warm and beautiful.) Also, these cans are really uncomfortable, which has never been an issue with the SR-60. The RS-1 pads are hard and burn my ears after a few minutes. Also, the headband is too big. I have adjusted the band to the shortest length possible, but the cans still sit low on my ear and I don't feel a tight secure fit around my head. It feels loose.

I am now asking myself if this is truly worth $1000 (cans and amp) to upgrade from where I was with my Karma / SR-60 pairing, which was also a lot simpler.

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 41
The bowl pads do break in over time, and if you find the highs too bright or harsh try flat pads.
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 41
Give it some time before you make up your mind. I'm sure you have lots of music to run through before coming to any conclusions. Most new headphone setups take a few hundred hours of listening adjustment. Enjoy!
rs1smile.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 41
Agree with the others re: burn in. leave them playing a CD on repeat for a few days and see what you think then. As for the bowls, i used to have problems with my SR-80s for the first week or two, then they softened a little and my ears got used to them and all was well. I was expecting a week of pain when i got my HF-1s, but they were comfortable from the get-go, either because i was used to them, or because i modded the headband a little...

ghetto1.jpg

Now i'm scared that i'll need to get new bowls when these get too soft, as i tried my squishy SR-80 bowls on them and didn't really like it as much. We'll see.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 41
Give it time!!!

Most people, just don't realize the importance of break-in. This is a perfect example. The RS-1's are in no way brighter then the SR60! My pads were nice, and soft. When you buy an RS-1, there is a little something, that tells you about adjusting the headband, for a better fit.

You will be singing a new tune, in a few weeks, unless you have a very small head!

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 41
I hope it works out different for you.....but for me the treble was always bright no matter how much burn in. (tried all pads) The good thing was they were so uncomfortable, I couldnt wear them long enough for the treble to cause alot of pain.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 41
I don't even listen to my cans before burn in. As for the pads, use the SR-80's. As for the headband size, looks like you're SOL on that one if it's a serious issue... that is, unless you're skilled enough to rig something up yourself
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 41
for now try this for instant gratification - take the old pads off your SR60, then put them on your RS-1. Use your SR60s as portables and break in the new pads using your SR60s. for the headband, BEND that headband in. don't worry, it's a solid bar of metal, it won't break. just use those thumbs and really work it over until the band is more narrow.

if you REALLY can't stand the sound, stuff it in a closet for 40 hours of continuous music (just a little higher than normal listening levels) and you should be good.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 41
If you cannot get flats rite now I would reverse the bowls, which helped for me. I had the same bright experience out of the box as you did, but that went away after a couple of hours + reverse bowls. It is anything but harsh/bright now.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
The bowl pads do break in over time, and if you find the highs too bright or harsh try flat pads.
biggrin.gif

I'm a bit confused, because the RS-1 is shown fitted with flat pads on both Todd's site AND Grado's site, yet they're wearing bowls in the images on HeadRoom. Which do they ship with?

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
I'm a bit confused, because the RS-1 is shown fitted with flat pads on both Todd's site AND Grado's site, yet they're wearing bowls in the images on HeadRoom. Which do they ship with?

They ship with bowls. Orignally with flats though and probably tuned with flats in mind I assume.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel

only bowls. Grado doesn't even use flat pads anymore. those pics are old.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
They ship with bowls. Orignally with flats though and probably tuned with flats in mind I assume.

Interesting. Makes you wonder why Grado changed them over to bowls, and why they aren't represented that way on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back