My Grado RS-1 arrived. Hmmn... not sure.
Dec 25, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I love everything about the Grado sound except those screeching highs, which I must say are already starting to subdue since I've had the cans burning in all Christmas Eve day while I've been out auditioning other cans.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I shall definitely try the flat pads from my SR60s and see if that makes for softer highs and a more comfortable fit. If it seems promising, I'll buy those mods from Todd for $30 that he told me I'd be needing in the first place when I bought the cans from him!

I received no instructions on how to adjust the headband. I'm not sure which way I would shape and bend it anyway to get the cans sitting higher on my ears. Any suggestions?

So I've spent all day driving from one side of LA to the other auditioning the rest of the cans on my list - Senn HD 650, 580 and 595, and Grado SR-325i. I took my Karma and SR-71 amp with me as my source, to create a fair comparision. My verdict, for what it's worth, and we all know these are highly subjective ... the uncomfortable, over-sized RS-1s sitting on my head as I type this ... blow the others out of the galaxy!

So I guess I'm going to have to live with them and hope those highs continue to soften because the rest of the sound is so awesome I can hardly put it into words. I was hoping I would come to the opposite conclusion so I could return them and save my wallet. Oh well ...
mad.gif

Those would be the Comfy pads
smily_headphones1.gif

YOu can purchase flat pads from Todd the Vinyl Junkie

Dec 25, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #33 of 41
I may be the oddball here, but I definately prefer the Bowls on the RS-1. Flats destroyed the RS-1 magic when I tried them. Definately burn them in, and wash the bowls. Also, try applying tape around the exterior of the pads. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 41
Just pull them off an turn them around, so that the bowl part is facing away from your head (toward the drivers) and the flat back of the bowl is now resting against your head. I've never used Todd's flats, but I've read that this approximates the effect.

Dec 25, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #37 of 41
Before you burn $30 for new flat pads, try these things first:

1) Reverse the bowl pads and see how that affects the sound. Although this didn't work for me, many here in this forum would attest that it does improve the sound by taming the highs.

2) Tape the outer surface of the bowl pads with scotch / masking tape. Now this worked for me. Brings out the bass, tames (or probably hides) the highs and retains some soundstage.

I'm satisfied now with #2 and don't think the flat pads will be necessary for me anymore.

icon10.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #38 of 41
So my opinion of the RS-1 keeps changing. The highs are definitely mellowing out, and the sound is warm and smooth. These cans produce a perfect sound to my ears wih all the music I've thrown at it so far ... except classical.

I'm not sure what it is, but these phones do not possess the same magic with classical music. And since I come from classical music roots, this is going to be a problem. Anyone share this view about these phones. I was really shocked by this.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I'm not sure what it is, but these phones do not possess the same magic with classical music. And since I come from classical music roots, this is going to be a problem. Anyone share this view about these phones. I was really shocked by this.

That's why you have to get 650s for classical music.
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's pretty common opinion that Grados aren't for classical music and I think so too.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by aufeuer
2) Tape the outer surface of the bowl pads with scotch / masking tape. Now this worked for me. Brings out the bass, tames (or probably hides) the highs and retains some soundstage.

Whoa! I think we've got a new mod on our hands here: the bowl-tape mod!

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Whoa! I think we've got a new mod on our hands here: the bowl-tape mod!

thats what I thought... turns out its nothing new at all.
Bowls rock my RS1
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Might try the tape thing later, but not yet.
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back