My Grado left ear driver holder separated from the rod :(
Feb 28, 2009 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,

My Grado left ear driver holder separated from the rod
frown.gif
Fortunately I was thinking of upgrading to the SR225i from my sr225, but I still don't want to just throw these away. I can't remember, but does Grado has a lifetime warranty or something? Or is this fixable?

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 17
Do you mean the rod came off from the cup? All you need to do is clean up any grease on the rod and inside the hole. Then use 2 part epoxy glue, push it tight and make sure it is not move for a day.

As for warranty, only 1 year with Grado, must be dreaming re: life time warranty...

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 17
tried the epoxy glue method lol so simple I didn't think of that before...

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 17
I had a similar experience with my GS1000s (but the pieces are a bit different than on the SR225s). Both sides. The rods just popped out of the metal holding ring within a few days of each other. I used an epoxy to put them back into place. It works quite well, and perhaps, it will last longer than a repair from Grado! :) I have sent email to Grado to inquire about the costs of the replacement parts though. DIY fix-its won't help the resale value. I will update my post when I have heard from them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is bad both cups on GS1k came off! It must be quite a shock when that happened!

Not too much of a shock sadly, they are Grados.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 17
is this a common occurance? i suppose i do need to handle mine Alessandro with great care then :p

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this a common occurance?

I doubt it. I have never seen it mentioned before. All I did was to pick them up off of my headphone stand by grasping them by the cups. Never dropped them or anything like that.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt it. I have never seen it mentioned before.

It's actually quite a common problem. I've had this problem before, and there are plenty of similiar threads about this issue every month or so.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 17
Yep, the same thing happened with the left cup on my RS-1. I cleaned out the post and the hole, then I used fine sandpaper to rough up both the post and the hole. You need to do this so the epoxy has something to grip. After you sand each part (lightly, it doesn't take much), I cleaned them again.

Next, I mixed a two part epoxy and put some both on the post and in the hole. Then I put them back together and clamped them lightly with a woodworking C clamp and left them overnight.

Almost forgot, I used a toothpick to clean up the squeezed out epoxy after clamping. There's no mess and the repair doesn't show.

Give it a try - it doesn't take long, is easy and doesn't cost much.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 17
Sad to hear!
Grado operate with a one year warranty. No lifetime warranty over there...

Its magical what you can achieve with some glue though.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back